Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
more from yesterday

UA973 BRU-ORD 763 3h30 late due to snow and ice removal difficulties
UA82 EWR-DEL 772 cancelled due to weather (really UA?)
The weather in NYC was terrible yesterday. Where did the Delhi-bound aircraft come from? Were there extensive ground delays at EWR yesterday - yes there were when I check it arrival delays were around 4 hours. JFK had 6. DEL-EWR is a long flight and crew could have timed out on a long taxi to departure. Just a guess. Or maybe there was a bag loaded and the pax didn't show up and then by the time that was sorted and headed back with a long taxi out again a crew time-out. It was freezing cold and windy and with the snowfall the ramp loading slows down. It is possible someone entered in the wrong delay code. But your eye roll seems to infer that you feel/know UA are trying to cover up something like a maintenance delay? We all know UA doesn't have the best dispatch record but they are fairly transparent (and sometimes creative) with the reason posted for delays. Does anyone know if it truly wasn't a weather delay - because it seems very plausible to me.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
UA 7 IAH-NRT diverted to DEN, had a couple of hours of rolling delays, and now has canceled for mx. Wonder what happened...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by JDT1955
UA 7 IAH-NRT diverted to DEN, had a couple of hours of rolling delays, and now has canceled for mx. Wonder what happened...
As of now it looks like UA 78 NRT-EWR on 1/9 will be cancelled or delayed as a result. The mobile app is showing UA 6 NRT-IAH on 1/9 turning off of UA 79 EWR-NRT.

1/7 UA 79 EWR-NRT (N78017) departed at 1532, 4 hours 47 minutes late and arrived at 1946, 4 hours 51 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.

1/8 UA 78 NRT-EWR (N78017) diverted to SFO due to operational difficulties. Departed at 2111, 3 hours 16 minutes late and arrived at 1405. Estimated to depart SFO at 1500, and arrive at 2257, 6 hours 12 minutes late. My guess is one of the co-pilots probably got sick so they are short on the flight deck to make it all the way to EWR.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:16 pm

UA881 ORD NRT also returning to the airport after a good while in the air.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Curious if that's the same plane that also had an emergency landing going from SCL-IAH 2 weeks ago.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by adambrau
The weather in NYC was terrible yesterday.
Not terrible enough to have a weather waiver and honestly, a flight like EWR-DEl should go out regardless ... just my opinion.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
UA881 ORD NRT also returning to the airport after a good while in the air.
Ouch.

This looks interesting but now estimated to depart ORD at 2003 and arrive into NRT at 0015. There is a curfew at 2300 at NRT so not sure how that's going to work.

I guess the delays will trickle down to 1/9 for ops ex-NRT.

1/8 UA 869 SFO-HKG (N127UA) currently on a rolling delay due to severe weather conditions (which is legitimate). Now estimated to depart at 1620 and arrive into HKG at 2232. My guess is that if the delay rolls back anymore they will run into crew legality issues. I guess we shall see.

1/8 UA 895 ORD-HKG (N788UA) now estimated to depart at 1900 and arrive into HKG at 0104.
1/9 UA 895 HKG-SIN (N788UA) now estimated to depart at 0200 and arrive into SIN at 0527 due to late inbound.

Update at 1900 CST....

1/8 UA 895 ORD-HKG-SIN cancelled.
1/8 UA 881 ORD-NRT cancelled.

Last edited by kluau88; Jan 8, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
Wow they pull 747 out from hangar
UA 2099 ORD-NRT extra sector op by 747

Originally Posted by kluau88
Ouch.

This looks interesting but now estimated to depart ORD at 2003 and arrive into NRT at 0015. There is a curfew at 2300 at NRT so not sure how that's going to work.

I guess the delays will trickle down to 1/9 for ops ex-NRT.

1/8 UA 869 SFO-HKG (N127UA) currently on a rolling delay due to severe weather conditions (which is legitimate). Now estimated to depart at 1620 and arrive into HKG at 2232. My guess is that if the delay rolls back anymore they will run into crew legality issues. I guess we shall see.

1/8 UA 895 ORD-HKG (N788UA) now estimated to depart at 1900 and arrive into HKG at 0104.
1/9 UA 895 HKG-SIN (N788UA) now estimated to depart at 0200 and arrive into SIN at 0527 due to late inbound.

Update at 1900 CST....

1/8 UA 895 ORD-HKG-SIN cancelled.
1/8 UA 881 ORD-NRT cancelled.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:16 pm

a single flight ... late at night ... weather? Just a lame excuse from UA.
As per usual with you its always a lame excuse I worked the 2nd to last BFS flight last night and I can assure you that flights last night absolutely were late because of weather. And if you don't believe me check flightstats shouldn't take nearly 45 minutes to get off the ground at EWR late at night. Rush hour yes late at night no.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:34 pm

Well looks like someone timed out for UA 869 SFO-HKG.

1/8 UA 869 SFO-HKG now departing at 0800 (1/9) and estimated to arrive at 1412 (1/10). I guess safe to assume 1/10 UA 862 HKG-SFO will be impacted.

Totally out of UA's control given the bad weather in SFO.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by kluau88
I wonder what prevented 869 from departing. It seems like to me the weather was only severe enough to prevent landing. Could it be that they were waiting for delayed passengers because there were too many? Delaying 869 could make SIN passengers miss connections, but 895 was already late, so there was no urgency of getting there on time. But eventually, they timed out and 869 is now postponed until tomorrow.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:31 pm

"The airline that cried weather"
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I wonder what prevented 869 from departing. It seems like to me the weather was only severe enough to prevent landing. Could it be that they were waiting for delayed passengers because there were too many? Delaying 869 could make SIN passengers miss connections, but 895 was already late, so there was no urgency of getting there on time. But eventually, they timed out and 869 is now postponed until tomorrow.
Well I think the issue is that when the weather gets bad in SFO, the number of arrivals/departures gets impacted. I saw at least 3 departure times for UA 869 so my guess is they just kept getting pushed back to the point where someone was going to time out.

I guess for those that need to get to SIN they can try and get on UA 1, which as of now is still showing 6 open seats in J.

For what it's worth SQ 31 SFO-SIN couldn't get out this morning either and now is estimated to leave at 1900 tonight.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
"The airline that cried weather"
DL had plenty of weather related delays and cancellations out of JFK yesterday as well as today what's your excuse for them?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Not terrible enough to have a weather waiver and honestly, a flight like EWR-DEl should go out regardless ... just my opinion.
The weather forecasters under-estimated the impact of the storm until Saturday morning, when it had already begun. JFK was experiencing 6 hour arrival delays and EWR 4 hours, when i checked midday on Saturday ( I sent a friend home early on Lufthansa Friday evening so I was curious to see if I had done the right thing). Of course the plane could have taken off in the weather, but it didn't. UA says weather. We had wind and real-feel temperatures close to zero degrees. Loading planes in these conditions is slower. Maybe there was a queue to de-ice. I honestly don't know, but I live in Lower Manhattan about 20 minutes drive to Newark with no traffic. Fair enough if you want to spend all your time posting UA's int'l flight cancellations, it's a free country. And it helps me avoid certain types like the 787's which I have yet to set foot in, so I am not saying compiling a list of cancelations is wrong but it helps. However, if you are going to hint that UA blamed a cancellation on weather when it may have actually been another reason, try to have something to back it up. We all know United is not perfect, but this thread would be more helpful if we tried to be objective and factual about reasons for cancellations. A 777 cancellation which would have cost the company thousands of dollars, in staff overtime and passenger re-accomodations, is really not good for the company, staff, or passengers. No one wants this. And so far I have not found any reason why UA82 cancelled on Saturday. And apparently neither have you!

Adam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.