Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:24 am

UA67 SNN-EWR July 9 canceled
UA53 ZRH-IAD 4 hours late
UA31 MUC-EWR 5 hours late
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
UA169 VCE-EWR delayed a hair over two hours on 2017-07-06
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by DenverA
Yesterday UA 961 FRA-EWR was delayed and arrived 4 hours and 1 minute late due to mechanical issues. What is the process/people's experience with getting the Euro 600 from United?
Lengthy thread here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...united-21.html
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:53 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by ellyse

I'm on the flight... original ETD 1500, now it's 1840. Scheduled to land at SFO at 1735. We still don't know if we will connect to different flights (to everyone's final destinations) at SFO, or we will all stay on the plane (and they swap in a new crew) and we continue flying to ORD.
What are the rules/flexibility here? Is a crew not allowed to be over their duty time by even 1 minute contractually? And is it scheduled time or actual time? What happens if they time out mid-flight? They have to land immediately?

It seems wasteful to me to divert the flight to SFO when ORD is 900 miles further, which results in another crew having to fly the plane 4 additional hours orthogonally out of the way...
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:13 pm

UA889 PEK-SFO 22 hours late.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by TA
What are the rules/flexibility here? Is a crew not allowed to be over their duty time by even 1 minute contractually? And is it scheduled time or actual time? What happens if they time out mid-flight? They have to land immediately?

It seems wasteful to me to divert the flight to SFO when ORD is 900 miles further, which results in another crew having to fly the plane 4 additional hours orthogonally out of the way...
There's minimal flexibility but it's not so much contractual as it is legality based. If you look up FAR 117 rest rules and specifically look into the limitations for augmented crews, you can see the limits.

Generally once you take off you're good to finish however based on the duty start time, the anticipated taxi in/out, and the burn (flight time) for the flight, if it's determined you're going to time out if you take off, it turns into a no go (or in the case of this flight, landing at a closer destination and recrewing).

The delays are what get you. Say the report time for the flight is 7am. The flight is delayed however until 11am. That four hour delay counts against the FDP (flight duty period) limit for the crew even though they're not flying at that point. So even a small delay but on a long flight, you'll run into duty limitations quickly.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
UA67 SNN-EWR July 9 canceled
UA53 ZRH-IAD 4 hours late
UA31 MUC-EWR 5 hours late
67 goes to ORD.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA
UA 332

Non weather delay on GDL-IAH flight UA 332. 2.5 hours and counting. Originally scheduled to be on a plane from PHL via IAH. Switched us to a busted plane from DEN via IAH.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by findark
If the new frame assignment, even if it never could have made it out on time, is scheduled inbound such that you are delayed, this is the listed reason.
I see this often enough that it is clearly how UA codes it, but it truly is misleading to customers since the airframe rotation is in UA's control and they've obviously substituted a different aircraft in than was intended when the schedule was built
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
UA855, which flies LIM-IAH was cancelled after a 3 hour MX delay.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA
UA 332

Looks like GDL-IAH might make it today. First they gave away tail#4028 to someone else (or it went mechanical). Then they assigned us tail #4172 , which immediately went mechanical for 2 hours or so. Now we supposedly have Tail 4710, which went mechanical immediately after it was assigned to our flight for 90 minutes. Call it 4 hours. Are UA'S planes really this busted? This happened to me twice on my last 2 international flights too.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Looks like GDL-IAH might make it today. ... Are UA'S planes really this busted? This happened to me twice on my last 2 international flights too.
How hot is it in GDL? Some planes don't do so well in very high heat.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Looks like GDL-IAH might make it today. First they gave away tail#4028 to someone else (or it went mechanical). Then they assigned us tail #4172 , which immediately went mechanical for 2 hours or so. Now we supposedly have Tail 4710, which went mechanical immediately after it was assigned to our flight for 90 minutes. Call it 4 hours. Are UA'S planes really this busted? This happened to me twice on my last 2 international flights too.
My last 2 mechanical issues have been:
Software update on the early warning system - 45 min delay
Little latch that holds the cart in the slot - 3.5 hr delay

So, maint doesn't always mean the plane can't fly, just means complying with FAA and government guidance, so it is unfit to fly.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:32 pm

I feel bad for everyone on UA105 IAH-GRU from yesterday 7/9
Had a buddy on the flight --
Flight departs 945pm....terrible storms all around airport delay departure for few hours but flight attendants time out, requote for 1100am next morning 7/10.
That time comes and several people are missing and there's some confusion about whose bags can go/not go (presume bags were loaded and passengers dont show up). Finally leave gate at something like 1230/100pm.
Apparent mechanical issue develops after pushback anf they try to fix on tarmac to no avail so they head back to gate 55mins later when aircraft loses its APU. So they take everyone off and requote for 430pm.
buddy said screw it and headed to ORD to catch their GRU flight tonight.
apparently now they've had to swap the aircraft and are currently posting an 810pm out. 23hrs total delay....what do you think they'll comp people??
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
So, maint doesn't always mean the plane can't fly, just means complying with FAA and government guidance, so it is unfit to fly.
Exactly, a couple of years ago I was on the early morning GDL-IAH flight and during the walk around, the crew discovered that one of the NAV lights were inop. We had to wait until official sunrise before we could takeoff. I think we were delayed about 40 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.