Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
763 and 744 reliability still as bad as ever:

UA962 1/3 EWR-TXL 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA963 1/4 TXL-EWR 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

UA58 1/3 SFO-FRA 744 delayed 3 hours due to aircraft maintenance
UA59 1/4 FRA-SFO 744 delayed 1h30min due to aircraft maintenance

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
My "favorite" thing about flying United--they'll gladly misconnect passengers all over the system, but will always hold the HKG-SIN flight for however long it takes to get everybody from ORD, SFO, and EWR on board...I think the HKG-SIN flight has to be the worst-performing international flight in the system.

Such garbage.
869 SFO-HKG is running about an hour late again today as well... let's see if they hold HKG-SIN again
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:27 am

UA870 1/4 SYD-SFO 789 Diverted to HNL due to medical. Continue HNL-SFO after refueling
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
UA892 ICN-SFO 744 cancelled due to MX.
Extra sector planned next day.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:12 pm

UA76 (757) BFS-EWR Canceled mechanical.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
1/1 UA1686 ORD-PVR 31 mins late Operational Difficulties
.....which led to....
UA1703 PVR-IAH 50 mins late Operational Difficulties
I was on that flight (1703) on 1/3/17. Horrendous experience, even for UA. We ended up leaving 1 hour 50 mins late (more mechanical difficulties). They decided to do the bus boarding rather than by gate so it probably was even longer than normal. No information whatsoever by the PVR ground staff. Not even when they changed the gate.

Then when we landed in IAH....no gate. Waited about a half hour for a gate. Then our bags arrived at customs baggage control....ninety three minutes after we landed. Again, no info provided. Just wait. And wait. And wait. There didn't seem to be a lot of flights for UA at IAH to deal with either. I think they simply forgot about our flight. I was lucky, as I didn't have a connection. Dozens of people missed connections due to the baggage issue.

Again, I made it home, but my God, it was a cluster from go. Not the best way to treat high dollar pax. Fares for that segment ran 800 for coach 3 months out for what was supposed to be a 2 hour flight

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Jan 4, 2017 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:11 pm

UA49 (Jan 5) BOM-EWR (777) canceled, flight preparation. Looks like it departed and came back.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Aspen
Would it be possible for individual passengers to sue the individual responsible? I would not be looking for a big pay out but say $500 (x each passenger on board) Does anyone want to speculate on UAL's expenditure? 200 x hotel rooms, 4-6 hours worth of fuel from the diversion and return trip backtracking, AKL Aerodrome fees, having an aeroplane out of use for an additional 24 hours. $100,000 perhaps all up ?
I don't know, but I doubt it -- at least with regard to passengers on the flight, generally. Maybe for someone directly targeted by the belligerent passenger, but even that presents a whole bunch of complex legal issues involving multiple nations' laws and treaties.

The passenger appears to be a USA national, so it would seem (to non-expert me, at least) that a criminal case and possibly a civil case by United could proceed in the USA courts. I dearly hope United presses a civil case to the max. Make this a financial nightmare for the guy, and set a useful example for others who imagine that their petty disputes are worth escalating into an international flight diversion.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by spin88

This guy will love the UA 777-300ER with 10 across!
I doubt he'll be seeing the inside of a UA airplane again.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by JDT1955
OK, flak jacket in place, flame away!
FWIW, my friend who was on the flight and a few rows away from the Ugly American, did not question the crew's decision to divert to AKL. That despite the fact that it was a big hassle for himself, his wife, and their two very young kids.

My friend did have some very negative things to say about UA Global Services in this irregular operations situation on the ground in AKL, but that is a separate matter.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by truncated
HKG-SIN is the continuation of ORD-HKG so I hope they'd hold the plane for ORD pax :P
Yes, but how many times do people complain that through flights aren't held for them even though they're the same flight number? ORD-HKG-SIN doesn't always use the same plane so it's not like they have to hold it.

But on a serious note when 895 arrives in SIN at 1am it sits on the ground until 6am to operate 896 SIN-HKG-ORD so holding it won't have an impact on the subsequent legs (I've seen 895 arrive in SIN at 4am before and 896 still gets out on time).
Also even though (according to google) there are 21 daily flights HKG-SIN (8x CX and 7x SQ) UA895 is the second-to-last flight of the day (there's a CX "redeye" departing 0150) so if they don't hold the flight then it's hotel rooms for everyone...
Yes, I don't argue that it's very convenient for UA. Just too bad for those customers who might actually like to know when they'll arrive in Singapore.

And would also disagree with you on the worst-performing international flight in the system - can think of many better candidates e.g. PVG-ORD/SFO (back when it was the 744), MEL-LAX, the daytime EWR/IAD-LHR flights that often turn into redeyes. 895 usually isn't that delayed IME.
Let's look at the numbers from ExpertFlyer:
PVG-ORD 65% reliability, avg delay 44 min (I'm aware that you said "back when it was the 744" but I can't access that easily)
PVG-SFO 98% reliability
MEL-LAX 80% reliability, avg delay 22 min
EWR-LHR 80% reliability, avg delay 25 min
IAD-LHR 90% reliability, avg delay 41 min
HKG-SIN 59% reliability, avg delay 47 min

So I stand by my hypothesis. And will continue to avoid 895, meaning no UA for me.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
ORD-HKG-SIN doesn't always use the same plane so it's not like they have to hold it.
It has to, mechanical aside. Every night 3 flights arrive from the US: (1) EWR, a sCO 772, (2) SFO, a sUA 744, and (3) ORD, a sUA 772. HKG-SIN is operated by HKG sUA FAs. Using EWR plane for HKG-SIN is out of the question. Even if you have the sUA FAs operate the 744 instead of 772 may be feasible, but you may not be able to find rested pilots due to different type.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
So I stand by my hypothesis. And will continue to avoid 895, meaning no UA for me.
And if I were going SIN-HKG-SIN like you, I'd make the same judgement. However, I like that UA will hold 895 (within some reason) to minimize the misconnects coming from the US. It's saved me a couple of times.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JDT1955
And if I were going SIN-HKG-SIN like you, I'd make the same judgement. However, I like that UA will hold 895 (within some reason) to minimize the misconnects coming from the US. It's saved me a couple of times.
And those flights aren't really intended for the local traffic; they're intended to serve UA's connecting traffic. You'll often see business class buckets zeroed out on the short-haul and available for the married segment long-haul only.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
It has to, mechanical aside. Every night 3 flights arrive from the US: (1) EWR, a sCO 772, (2) SFO, a sUA 744, and (3) ORD, a sUA 772. HKG-SIN is operated by HKG sUA FAs. Using EWR plane for HKG-SIN is out of the question. Even if you have the sUA FAs operate the 744 instead of 772 may be feasible, but you may not be able to find rested pilots due to different type.
Ah, fair enough--sorry, hadn't thought that through given the equipment changes. Used to be 2x 744 and briefly 2x 737 that were available so it was possible/common for there to be a switcheroo in HKG.

And just to keep us on topic, only 13 minutes late yesterday!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA56 CDG-EWR 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA951 BRU-IAD 764 cancelled due to crew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.