Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United changed my reservations twice!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

United changed my reservations twice!

I originally booked United 1596 RDU > ORD, then United 769 from ORD > SFO. I specifically chose these flights because I wanted to ride on the triple-7 to SFO. I paid for an economy plus seat on flight 1596 to make sure I could sit near the front to make my connection in ORD on time.

First change (this is less than 48 hours before the flight):

* They change the model of 777 on flight 769 and my seat changes from window to middle. I decided to upgrade to a window seat in Economy Plus. Paid $165 for it. Expensive but I really don't like middle seats. All seems to be good despite me spending more than I bargained for.

Second change (tonight):

* They all of a sudden put me on United 1698, which is a direct flight from RDU to SFO on an A320. Again, despite paying $165 for Economy Plus on 769, I'm reassigned to a friggin middle seat in regular economy! I called United twice and both times the agent couldn't give me a real explanation of why my reservation was changed like this (vague answers like "equipment maintenance" and "need plane for another city"). I paid to change my seat to 12A, but the refund for the other seats I paid for won't be honored until 7-10 days AFTER the flight. What nonsense is that? I asked if I could be put back on my original reservation, and they said both of those flights were fully booked. That's EXTREMELY frustrating because I was ON those flights and paid $$ to be on those flights! How is it that other people are still on those flights and I'm bumped to a flight with a less ideal seat on an A320? There were still PLENTY of empty economy plus seats on flight 769 the last time I checked today.

I asked what the cost is to change flights altogether and the agent said it would be $200 plus a rebooking fee. I don't think that's fair when United made these changes without notifying us in advance. It's extremely frustrating because I'm not getting the service/experience that I paid for.

How common is this on United? I'm thinking this is the last time I'll ever fly with them, if they can just change reservations last minute without warning, and keep reassigning you to worse seats (Middle seats!) two times in less than 24 hours, with no explanation for why they do this AND reassigning you to middle seats in economy even though you've paid nearly $200 for economy plus after the first time they changed your seat without warning.

Last edited by orbit82; Dec 31, 2016 at 11:38 pm
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by orbit82
... How common is this on United? ...
This can happen on any airline but it is not common. Between the weather issues in the NE and changes inschedules for the holidays, there are more changes than normal.

The seating changes on aircraft changes does happen. On the route changes, the computer when triggered due to schedule or aircraft changes will tend to put you on the most direct route (it is what most folks prefer). The recovery from aircraft changes is not UA's strongest suit.

If seats still exist on your preferred route, UA should make the changes for no fee (insist on a supervisor, if the agent will not do it).

Your E+ fee will be refund once the scheduled flight occurs, and then take some time to show up on your credit card. It is pretty automatic but is trigger by not used the E+ seat.

As for no explanation, seems they are providing an explanation (aircraft changes) but understandably you are not happy with it. The agents can tell you in any detail why your flight was changed in a particular -- they are not given that information.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This is standard, buying E+ means nothing w/r/t staying on the same flights, UA scrambles seats all the time and makes no attempt to figure out your preferences.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Poster

That's ridiculous that united can scramble seats like that after you paid for them, and not honor economy vs economy+. Economy+ seats are expensive. I believe this will be the last time I fly with them.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If UA switched you off of flights that are still operating as scheduled, complain to DOT. It might be interesting to compare the current fares on your original route versus the flights to which you have been rebooked.

If the schedule changes are sufficiently significant, check the CoC for UA's published policy on this, you have the right to a full refund, at which point you can purchase a new ticket on UA or some other airline. Be sure to check fares and availability before doing this.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... If the schedule changes are sufficiently significant, check the CoC for UA's published policy on this, you have the right to a full refund, at which point you can purchase a new ticket on UA or some other airline. Be sure to check fares and availability before doing this.
For a flight in the next day or 2, that is not likely a viable option. Between the high cost of last minute fares and the lack of options for peak holiday travel days, it is probably better for the OP to work with UA.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For a flight in the next day or 2, that is not likely a viable option. Between the high cost of last minute fares and the lack of options for peak holiday travel days, it is probably better for the OP to work with UA.
OP can still file a DOT complaint ex post as this is not an appropriate business practice.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Just looked up those flights on united.com and 1596 is not being sold anymore (doesn't show up in search results). 769 from ORD > SFO shows up in the flight search, but is listed as "Unavailable". When I clicked on View Seats for 769, there are a BUNCH of available Economy+ seats (including the one I paid for ) . I just can't get on that flight because I have no way to get to Chicago since there are no longer any flights to ORD from RDU showing up in the united search results. This is a super disappointing, subpar experience and I'm going to be giving this joke of an airline the lowest review I can give them.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:20 am
Original Poster

I will absolutely file a DOT complaint as @MSPeconomist suggested.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I originally booked United 1596 RDU > ORD, then United 769 from ORD > SFO. I specifically chose these flights because I wanted to ride on the triple-7 to SFO. I paid for an economy plus seat on flight 1596 to make sure I could sit near the front to make my connection in ORD on time.

First change (this is less than 48 hours before the flight):

* They change the model of 777 on flight 769 and my seat changes from window to middle. I decided to upgrade to a window seat in Economy Plus. Paid $165 for it. Expensive but I really don't like middle seats. All seems to be good despite me spending more than I bargained for.

Second change (tonight):
First don't take this personal equipment changes happen all the time, since you never gave use the date of travel I can only go on assumption here.

on Sunday (today) 769 is a 2 class 772, Monday it's a 3 class 772, and Tuesday it's a 2 class 772. So it seems that one agent was right that it was equipment change that took place.

Now on why UA changed your flights to the non-stop can't answer that question, but when talking to the agents, be nice but firm, tell them why you wanted the flights you choose, most will understand. When it comes to refunds it usually takes a couple of days AFTER you flown for the refunds to happen.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
This is standard, buying E+ means nothing w/r/t staying on the same flights, UA scrambles seats all the time and makes no attempt to figure out your preferences.
That's ridiculous that united can scramble seats like that after you paid for them, and not honor economy vs economy+. Economy+ seats are expensive. I believe this will be the last time I fly with them.
If UA switched you off of flights that are still operating as scheduled, complain to DOT. It might be interesting to compare the current fares on your original route versus the flights to which you have been rebooked.

If the schedule changes are sufficiently significant, check the CoC for UA's published policy on this, you have the right to a full refund, at which point you can purchase a new ticket on UA or some other airline. Be sure to check fares and availability before doing this.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
OP can still file a DOT complaint ex post as this is not an appropriate business practice.
Just looked up those flights on united.com and 1596 is not being sold anymore (doesn't show up in search results). 769 from ORD > SFO shows up in the flight search, but is listed as "Unavailable". When I clicked on View Seats for 769, there are a BUNCH of available Economy+ seats (including the one I paid for ) . I just can't get on that flight because I have no way to get to Chicago since there are no longer any flights to ORD from RDU showing up in the united search results. This is a super disappointing, subpar experience and I'm going to be giving this joke of an airline the lowest review I can give them.
Guys as I posted 769 was switched from a 772 2 class to a 772 3 class. So the UA agent was right that equipment change did happen.

I would like to hear why UA switched from the OPs connecting flights to the Non-stop flight.

I also think the OP is taking this too personnel like the airlines did this to screw him..
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:27 am

Just looked up those flights on united.com and 1596 is not being sold anymore (doesn't show up in search results). . ...
Appears the flight is been taken of the schedule for Sunday. And there is no way for you to connect to the ORD-SFO at 9:10AM. Hence the rescheduling you on the direct RDU-SFO

What was not appropriate? The flight has been removed from the schedule.

I will absolutely file a DOT complaint as @MSPeconomist suggested.
A flight cancellation is not going to get much of a response from DoT.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
... I would like to hear why UA switched from the OPs connecting flights to the Non-stop flight......
Appears the flight from RDU-ORD has been dropped from the schedule. Does not show on Flight Status - not even as cancelled.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Guys as I posted 769 was switched from a 772 2 class to a 772 3 class. So the UA agent was right that equipment change did happen.

I would like to hear why UA switched from the OPs connecting flights to the Non-stop flight.
Probably overbooked since the 3class has fewer seats, so they'd look for candidates to push off to other flights.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

To be clear, my main issue is that I specifically wanted to be on the 777-200 in the seats I paid for. If they had rebooked me on a similar aircraft (like the 767 or 787) with a window seat, I would be more than happy. But instead they're using an A320 and new the seat I paid for, while a window has limited recline since the exit is right behind it. This is 6 hours on a cramped, smaller, lesser plane with no meal service. I know people prefer direct flights and normally I do, too. But in this case I was looking forward to flying on the triple-7 for a long time (I booked this reservation in early Nov). It's like planning to ride in a limousine but at the last minute the limo company says they're changing the car to a run of the mill everyday jalopy. I know I may sound like a brat but I don't fly often and this was to be my final fun for the holiday before the boring mundane every day life starts again.

Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and they'll change the flight AGAIN. With my luck it'll be on an even smaller plane (turbo prop? Embraer?), middle seat, with no windows available to upgrade to.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:31 am
Suspended

To be clear, my main issue is that I specifically wanted to be on the 777-200 in the seats I paid for. If they had rebooked me on a similar aircraft (like the 767 or 787) with a window seat, I would be more than happy.
See your PM's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.