Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

It starts all over again -- PQM/PQDs reset to zero!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Elite qualification resets as of January 1 of each year ( calendar year).

You do not earn on awards redemption.

You also need at least four UA operated flights each year to qualify for any elite level. Actual elite qualifying amounts notwithstanding.
ToddSpam likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Correct on both accounts. Technically full-fare business class (J) earns 3x the miles, but I'm guessing you won't be buying a J-class ticket but one of the lower business-class levels.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
OP does not appear to be talking about award flights (despite the use of the word "award")
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Elite qualification resets as of January 1 of each year ( calendar year).

You also need at least four UA operated flights each year to qualify for any elite level. Actual elite qualifying amounts notwithstanding.
Thanks for the info on the 4 UA op flights. I was not aware of that. That means actual UA plane or does a cochaired flight (LH plane) count as well? If it has to be a UA plane, this could change things for me as the UA flight times aren't as convenient as the LH ones for myself.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ToddSpam
That means actual UA plane or does a cochaired flight (LH plane) count as well?
UA metal.
ToddSpam likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
does a cochaired flight (LH plane) count as well?
That should be "code-share".
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:27 pm

Thanks for the info on the 4 UA op flights. I was not aware of that. That means actual UA plane or does a cochaired flight (LH plane) count as well? If it has to be a UA plane, this could change things for me as the UA flight times aren't as convenient as the LH ones for myself.
The 4-flight minimum segment is waived if you have the United Club credit card by Chase (and I think this is waived for the Explorer card as well but I don't know for sure.) Doesn't apply for 1K qualification.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Four paid UA or United Express operated flights.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
The 4-flight minimum segment is waived if you have the United Club credit card by Chase (and I think this is waived for the Explorer card as well but I don't know for sure.) Doesn't apply for 1K qualification.
Only the Club card (and the no-longer-available Presidential Plus card) waives the 4-flight minimum. And it would apply for 1K qualification.
pnsnkr likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:44 pm

Couple thoughts - United is not the only airline that has a generous mileage earn policy, you may want to look at Asiana's Mileage Club and Aegean's Miles+Bonus . Neither of these programs require flying so many segments with the airline in question, you merely need to fly the requisite number of miles on *A partners within the designated time period (24 months with Asiana and 12 months with Aegean). Asiana will even grant you the status for up to 4 years as opposed to the 12 months with United! What's compelling about Asiana's Mileage Club is that they'll give you Star Alliance Gold for life once you've logged 500,000 miles flying star alliance partners. To get a similar benefit on United, you would need to fly 1 million miles on strictly United flights (i.e. no codeshare). The downsides to Asiana and Aegean is they don't award miles as liberally as United when it comes to flying business or deep discount economy (as I typically fly). For instance, flying Business on Lufthansa in C,D,J, or Z class racks up 125% mileage with Asiana (and 0% mileage if deep discount P class).

Moving back to the question of United, you need to fulfill 3 requirements to gain any Premier status:
  1. Rack up the requisite number of premier qualifying miles by flying United or its partners (i.e. 50,000 for Gold) or segments (60 for Gold)
  2. Fly 4 times on flights operated by United Airlines or United Express (no codeshares)
  3. If you are a US resident, spend the requisite amount of money (PQD) on tickets booked through United (i.e. $6,000 on airfares before taxes and fees for Gold)
The number of PQMs you earn per flight is dependent on the operating carrier of the flight and the fare class. Supposing it's Lufthansa we get the following result (for business class):
  • Full Fare Business (J) - 300% (and 1.5 segments)
  • Discount Business (Z, C, D) - 200% (and 1.5 segments)
  • Deep Discount Business (P) - 200% (and 1 Segment)
You'll want to consult your flight bookings to determine which fare code you have. Surprisingly, it's possible to fly business class and earn 0 PQMs if the fare code doesn't correspond to any of the listed fares for United (i.e. certain consolidator fares book into an awkward booking class).

In my case, I did the mental arithmetic and determined that United made the most sense. I tend to book the cheapest economy tickets imaginable on major partners like AC, UA, LH and NH. I'm a Canadian resident so the spend requirement doesn't apply to me and can easily hit the 4 United flights every year. Most important, I fly United enough that the United specific benefits like complimentary Economy+ seating and extra baggage allowance make it worth it.

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James
ToddSpam likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You live near ABE? Yes - the ABE-EWR bus counts as a UA "flight"
Could also be Beaumont on the bus IIRC.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity would lounge access be granted if you are taking United Bus/Train service? To give a concrete example suppose I'm flying SIN to ZFV on UA Gold (connecting say in SFO). Would I be able to access the UA lounge upon arrival in EWR?
Yes. You can access the UC in EWR even if only flying SIN-SFO-EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.