Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Not sure I agree; getting an FA to communicate the wine choices (beyond "white, red, and sparkling") can be exceedingly difficult.
I just grab the bottles and inspect them when the drink cart is serving the aisle ahead of me.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
@UA_Flyer - congratulations! What an accomplishment. Now time to start accruing miles on CX since they'll be joining *A
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
pysioprof, did you take the Japanese meal? Would appreciate any comments, and if you'd select it again. Have SFO-NRT coming up very soon.
I actually ended up not taking this trip, but my wife did, and she thought the Japanese meals in both directions were delicious.
1k-all-the-way likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
SFO-SIN Menu 11/21

Apologies for the delay in posting, but I just found these menus.

I thought the salad was a little weird with the mango in it, but found it tasty.
Had the stir-fried chicken which was pretty good although I would have liked it hotter (temperature, not flavor).

The wines were ordinary, not bad but nothing special.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Not sure I agree; getting an FA to communicate the wine choices (beyond "white, red, and sparkling") can be exceedingly difficult.
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
findark - This has been my experience too.
Indeed - with some FAs raising their eyebrows and semi-patientiely waiting while I am inspecting the labels of seven bottles of wine.

I prefer to have everything laid out on the menu vs. "ask the FA". Right now, we have to ask for:
slippers,
matress pads
gel pillows
PJs
today's champagne
today's white wines
today's red wines
today's hot bites ........
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Is it just this month, or have the wines become incredibly unimaginative. Flew LIS-EWR last week and ORD-FRA last night and the whites consisted of 1) Washington Chardonnay, 2) California Chardonnay, and 3) White Burgundy, which is, of course (though apparently shocking news to the FA), a Chardonnay. The reds were slightly more varied, consisting of a California Cabernet, a Bordeaux, and a Malbec, all from a similar part of the red spectrum. What's happened to the sauvignon blancs, the Rieslings, the Albarinos, the Rhone blends, the Pinots that I've enjoyed previously? Is this the new normal? I agree with the comment up-thread: why is United incapable of inserting a sheet of paper with the flight's wines listed and described. I enjoyed that when Polaris service first debuted.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
On my flight MUC-ORD last week, Pommery was served with the nuts. Then when the appetizer came, the flight attendant served me a quarter of the glass, then stated that that was the end of the Pommery and tried to finish filling my glass with another Champagne. She must have seen the face I made because then she asked if I wanted a new glass for the new Champagne. Obviously! The second Champagne was Joseph Perrier Cuvee Royale.
Only on United would FA's mix two champagnes/wines into the same glass and not even think twice.

Even domestically it's getting worse. Flew SEA-DEN-MIA yesterday. No PDB on either flight; on the first flight the FA would just say "do you want another...<long pause>" and couldn't remember the drink. Had the weird asian veggie wrap, which is basically a Vietnamese Summer Roll wrapped in a Mexican tortilla (!). Bizarre mix of flavors.

Flying EWR-GRU in F on Tuesday. Let's see...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
PEK/PVG to US December

December 20 UA 808 PEK-IAD

Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat
Has anyone recently been on ORD-PVG? UA.com shows Breakfast given a 940am departure but that seems odd for a 14 hour flight. Thank you!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:18 am

So classic United.
Announce a major upgrade in food and wine and achieve it with Polaris .
Then six months later - its all downgraded !
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
regarding the executive dining-do you have to order it before you board?

also are there any downsides to it?(do you miss any of the food service?)

thanks
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
naw, just the witty banter as to what wines are (or are not) stocked..

David
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by uncguy85
Has anyone recently been on ORD-PVG? UA.com shows Breakfast given a 940am departure but that seems odd for a 14 hour flight. Thank you!
It's not a breakfast flight, I thought the same thing and asked around. I took it this past Thanksgiving and even reached out to a few people at United ahead of time who told me to expect breakfast after checking with catering, and alas I was served a pork chop (which I preferred). Great crew both ways as well.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by DELee
naw, just the witty banter as to what wines are (or are not) stocked..

David
i thought you missed the sundae or had to wait a long time or something like that?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
regarding the executive dining-do you have to order it before you board?

thanks
I've ordered the Exec Dining option and noticed they still asked me when serving the sundaes if I wanted one.

Other airlines have different approaches to Exec Dining. LH, for example, doesn't include a hot entree, but you can get the meal served immediately after the FA's start food service. (Had it on a 748 in J recently)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.