Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
IME, always three of each —- several flights over the last few months. The gimmicky “Wine Flight” is still a thing.
Only 2 white and 2 red listed on Thanksgiving for IAH/AMS
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Yes, I had this salad last week SFO-LHR and it was horrible. Cardboard has more taste.
I still find it better than the nasty soba noodle salad...
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
You might just get lucky - the spicy chicken broth is part of the Cycle 4 dinner menu (April/August/December) from the US to Europe.
The spicy Thai Chicken was on the Novmember Menu IAD-CDG (see post #910 )

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Thanks UA_Flyer . . I think I want your life??? (sounds exotic and exciting)
Travel for work is different than personal travel. Constant jet lag, work around the clock, no routine at home, and fatigue. It looks exciting on paper, but I am more than happy sitting in my backyard in Maryland than inside an aluminum tube or a hotel in foreign land.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jazzhou
UA7 / IAH-NRT / 2017-11-20
B772
Lunch

I always enjoy UA7 with the friendly service from the former Continental crew.
I had a good laugh at this, never have I found a friendly CO crew since the merger.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The spicy Thai Chicken was on the Novmember Menu IAD-CDG (see post #910 )

Travel for work is different than personal travel. Constant jet lag, work around the clock, no routine at home, and fatigue. It looks exciting on paper, but I am more than happy sitting in my backyard in Maryland than inside an aluminum tube or a hotel in foreign land.
I have wondered what kind of work you do, I've never met anyone who travels to Asia as much as you do on a constant basis. I did ORD-PEK-ORD and thought I was going to die when I got home, but you seem to always be in Asia.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I had a good laugh at this, never have I found a friendly CO crew since the merger.
Really?? I can always tell if it's sUA or sCO based on how nice/snappy they are, nice being CO crews and snappy being UA crews. Every time.
jazzhou likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
LHR-IAH UA 879 17 Nov 2018 Seat 1E

Quick bite in the GFL pre-departure. Brut rose and the hot salmon. Tasty.

PDB of the sparkling wine split. Refill offered (and accepted).

Nuts with champagne. No wine flight offered on the 1010 am departure.

Salad kind of bland. Appetizer seemed to be Thanksgiving-themed.

Chicken tikka masala (spelled correctly on the menu) was really delicious. One of the best mains IMHO.

Paper cup or not, still tasty.

The pre-arrival snack. Not bad. Liked the cous-cous.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by warrenw
Really?? I can always tell if it's sUA or sCO based on how nice/snappy they are, nice being CO crews and snappy being UA crews. Every time.
I can tell exCO crews every time, firstly they always have a need to tell you they are exCO secondly between service you never see them
truncated likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by jazzhou
UA7 / IAH-NRT / 2017-11-21
B772
Arrival refreshments

Instead of the chicken katsu, I chose the Southwestern omelet this time. Quite substantial and delicious.

************************************************** *********************************************
The following isn't Polaris-meal-related (and the moderator can delete it or help me move to another appropriate thread in the forums), but since I may have some of your attention, can anyone geography-savvy tell me which mountain this is in Alaska?
While drinking more coffee and sipping bourbon after the lunch service, this magnificent view of a beautifully shaped Fujisan-like mountain appeared. The best I can tell from the in-flight route map is that we were heading southwestwards between Kodiak Island and the upper "long tail" of Alaska (Katmai National Park and Preserve). I tried later to look up on flightradar24 to find more details about it but couldn't. (An after-thought, I should have asked the flight attendant to ask the captain what mountain it was.)

View on approaching

View from starboard

View from trailing
great pictures
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by st530

Paper cup or not, still tasty.
You ate the paper cup?

Originally Posted by st530

The pre-arrival snack. Not bad. Liked the cous-cous.
Where's the cous-cous?

David
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I can tell exCO crews every time, firstly they always have a need to tell you they are exCO secondly between service you never see them
LOL
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I fly EWR-PEK-EWR regularly.

Meals out of EWR are usually good to great. Breakfast omelette ist very enjoyable prior to landing in Beijing.

2017-11-15: UA88, PEK-EWR:
Meals out of PEK are abysmal [as always]: breakfast omelette and rest of meal prior to landing in EWR is inedible. Has weird "off" taste to it. (Yoghurt is okay and fruit is edible.)

Recommendations out of PEK: Fish & pasta options normally okay; meat options - AVOID at all cost; Breakfast = diarrhoea
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
You ate the paper cup?
Ha

Originally Posted by DELee
Where's the cous-cous ?
David
Yeah I had second thoughts about calling this cous-cous. It looked sort of like the cold Israeli cous-cous they've had in the United Clubs occasionally (but cooked) but it might have been barley or some other grain. Can't recall how the menu described it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2017 at 6:02 pm Reason: erpaired the quote
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Only 2 white and 2 red listed on Thanksgiving for IAH/AMS
I am not a big wine drinker, but I believe United always lists only 2 whites and 2 reds on the menu, then a generic note about other choices available under their "Sommelier's Choice" moniker.
The wine flight is supposed to be comprised of all 3 of the whites or reds.

It is their way out of committing to which wines are going to be on board...same as the Champagne now. Just a note to "ask flight attendant for today's selection".
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am not a big wine drinker, but I believe United always lists only 2 whites and 2 reds on the menu, then a generic note about other choices available under their "Sommelier's Choice" moniker.
The wine flight is supposed to be comprised of all 3 of the whites or reds.

It is their way out of committing to which wines are going to be on board...same as the Champagne now. Just a note to "ask flight attendant for today's selection".
One more thing to ask for ? A few weeks ago when I flew to BRU, they didn't even have the two they had listed. After I request the gel pillow and the slippers, I can try to remember to ask about the special wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.