Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I had the same main course EWR-PEK on 8/23 and it was DELICIOUS.

Although, none of the courses looked as nicely presented as in your pictures.
I now believe the crew knows that you take and post these pictures, and puts in extra effort to make them visually appealing just for you!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Spicy Chicken is very good. But, if there is any turbulence, it becomes high risk to be covered in it. Wearing a bib is advised.
Spicy chicken is indeed very good. And on my trip yesterday IAD-FRA, it was the only palatable option given that two of the other three choices had fava beans as the side. I don't understand United's fascination with their "silence of the lambs" menu choices.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA ExecPlat & 1MM/DL Plat/HH Diamond/Marriott Titanium
UA 140 IAD-BCN
Seared beef short rib
Spicy chicken
Seared turbot fillet
Portobello mushroom and caramelized onion ravioli
Seasonal salad with grilled chicken

UA 141 BCN-IAD
Braised beef short rib
Grilled chicken breast
Poached hake fish fillet
Cannoncino
Seasonal salad with grilled shrimp
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
September 28 PEK-SFO UA889

Same menu as Post#772 from The same flight I took on 13 days ago

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 29, 2017 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
28 Sept PEK-SFO

Literally had the exact same meal as you, on the exact same flight on 28 Sept. I must have just been a few rows ahead of you (1D)

Beef was excellent I must say; I was also amused as I've flown several times with the FA who was manning my side of the front cabin, so got excellent service.

Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
UA should hire you to promote Polaris. I've never seen an airline meal look so delicious.

Last edited by Wooglin; Sep 30, 2017 at 11:49 am
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG+Hyatt Gold
IAH-EZE-IAH Week of Sept 18

Had already eaten so skipped dinner on the outbound. Had the cheese plate (the blue was good, the two hard cheeses were not) and a couple glasses of bubbles. Did not see or ask what they were pouring. Do not like the Wente wines from past experiences.

Name:  iah-eze.png
Views: 1752
Size:  641.9 KB

Name:  iah-eze-wine.png
Views: 1752
Size:  762.5 KB

The *A lounge food at EZE was not appealing so went with dinner on the return flight. Beef sounded the best. Was ok, not great but not terrible. The bread was cold but ok otherwise.

Name:  eze-iah.png
Views: 1689
Size:  523.6 KB

Name:  eze-iah-main.png
Views: 1765
Size:  1.49 MB
jazzhou likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by UA841
Beef sounded the best. Was ok, not great but not terrible.
Not great beef out of EZE - say it isn't so!

David
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Maybe it's me or perhaps the lighting, but that beef just looks a very sad shade of grey.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Maybe it's me or perhaps the lighting, but that beef just looks a very sad shade of grey.
It's the lighting. Here it is after I reset the white balance to account for it.

jazzhou likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Vegetarian - chance the menu or special meal?

As a vegetarian, I've been scanning the menus people have been posting here. It seems to be a roll of the dice - some times I see items I can eat, other times, I'd basically have to go with the Appetizer/Salad/Dessert with no Entree that would work for me.

With some upcoming polaris travel do I roll the dice and take a chance with the menu or should I ask for a special meal (one of the vegetarian choices) ?

How do the FAs treat a Special Meal order? Do they just plonk down the warmed up container and skip asking about the salad/dessert? Or is that entirely subjective based on the crew on the day of?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
ORD->HKG
Global First
Sept. 2017

Hands down, best service I have encountered on United. Not only were the basics flawlessly executed, but an incredible amount of "special touches".

Captain personally greeted each GF Passenger prior to departure.
Purser, GF attendant, and GF Galley attendant each stopped by to introduce.
Proactive on all amenities, including gel pillow and turn-down service.

And on the Unbelievable Scale:
First Class lav was spotless on each visit. Obviously, someone was taking care of this on a regular basis.
After any trip to the lav, my seat was tidied up, including arranging all the bedding just-so.

Just an outstanding experience. I already sent a note to 1K voice to recognize their efforts.

I will upload some meal pics when I get back home, but here is the current menu for anyone that needs it:
Back home now with time to upload the meal pics. Can't stress enough how awesome the service was on this flight....

Was more happy than normal to have salad dressing other than Balsamic Vinegar. And every time I returned to my seat, it had been tidied up just so...

First pic is the fried chicken offering from Polaris lounge. Pretty good...
Attached Images           
jazzhou likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by legionnaire
As a vegetarian, I've been scanning the menus people have been posting here. It seems to be a roll of the dice - some times I see items I can eat, other times, I'd basically have to go with the Appetizer/Salad/Dessert with no Entree that would work for me.

With some upcoming polaris travel do I roll the dice and take a chance with the menu or should I ask for a special meal (one of the vegetarian choices) ?

How do the FAs treat a Special Meal order? Do they just plonk down the warmed up container and skip asking about the salad/dessert? Or is that entirely subjective based on the crew on the day of?
If the vegetarian meal is anything like the Gluten Free meal, I would avoid it. You get a separate tray, with an economy class salad and no salad dressing (even though the Business Class salad and salad dressing contain no gluten. You get margarine rather than butter even though butter contains no gluten. You are, however, offered items from the cart, such as bread or crackers, even though they do contain gluten. And the main course is absolutely disgusting.

Personally, I think it's better to chance it and live off the starters and desserts and other things you know are ok. After all, the quantity of food is so excessive that you'll hardly go hungry.
legionnaire likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by goodeats21
First pic is the fried chicken offering from Polaris lounge. Pretty good...
Nice!

Also, great to hear you had a wonderful flight to HK
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Oct 2017
NRT->IAD

Pic of the menu for anyone that may need it.

Just as soon as service started, FAs had to sit down due to expected turbulence. Happened several more times during the service, which really did a number on my entree - dried out pretty bad. Just bad timing.

The appetizer was also pretty bad, though not due to the service interruption....just bad overall.

Not worth sharing the pics. Not sure even UA_Flyer could make them look good.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.