Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Serving pre-packaged crackers is just cheap and ugly. But, then, so is pre-plated cheese, so the two go hand in hand. Let me choose my own cheese and crackers, please.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Any reports of Polaris Business menus ex-EWR to either BOM or DEL? I'm curious if they are different (e.g., traditional limited beef / meat meals)?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:46 am

Has anyone by chance had a special meal yet (like vegan/vegetarian)?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ordogg
Any reports of Polaris Business menus ex-EWR to either BOM or DEL? I'm curious if they are different (e.g., traditional limited beef / meat meals)?
They are a combo of the standard Polaris and then two Indian choices. The appetizer/salad is the same, but in JAN its the following:
Indian:
-Spiced Ground Lamb
-Pickled Sweet and Spicy Squash
Other options:
-Seared Turbot
-Asian Fusion Chicken Soup
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Jan 2017
NRT->IAD
Business 772

Still think the PDB spike cup / black tray is gimmicky. Narrowly avoided my seat neighbor spilling his tomato juice on me.

I really miss the choice of decent salad dressings.

Entree was nice. Smoked chicken app was very good.
Pre arrival meal continues to be breakfast despite being ill-timed for arrival.
Sorry, I forgot to snag the menu when I left so no pics of the other options.

The more I fly Polaris, it starts to feel almost like a wash with the prior service. Gain some new entrees, better mid-flight snacks, and Pelligrino at the cost of salad dressings, bread basket and crackers. (Only having one piece of NRT garlic bread hurts my soul. )
Attached Images       
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That pre-arrival omelet plate looks like a plastic TV dinner tray.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
10JAN UA1 SFO-SIN

I tried the Five Spice Chicken since figured would be unique to SIN/HKG flights & won't be an option on upcoming flights. Meh. Couldn't be bothered taking pics of dinner service.

At least they had the grilled cheese & soup, which I finally got to try and enjoyed:

The Fiesta omelet pre-arrival was great as always.

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Jan 12, 2017 at 2:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
On yesterday's HKG-SFO I noted there was no more bread basket. Dinner came already served with a slice of cold, half baked garlic toast and one dinner roll. Not that I am a bread guy, not on a plane, but I thought that was odd.
Same - then it depends on the crew if they want to expend the extra effort to run around serving extra rolls from the bread basket after the initial slap-it-down tray "service"...

Polaris sucks. Give me Ex-COn service anytime!

Originally Posted by milepig
Serving pre-packaged crackers is just cheap and ugly. But, then, so is pre-plated cheese, so the two go hand in hand. Let me choose my own cheese and crackers, please.
+1 ^

"Would you like to *join* us for cheese and crackers?" - then hands over a small plate shrink-wrapped with only 1 package of crackers on it! (With the cheese of course)

Originally Posted by ordogg
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
They are a combo of the standard Polaris and then two Indian choices. The appetizer/salad is the same, but in JAN its the following:
Indian:
-Spiced Ground Lamb
-Pickled Sweet and Spicy Squash
Other options:
-Seared Turbot
-Asian Fusion Chicken Soup
Flew this 3x recently BOM-EWR-BOM.

Changed to LH and upgraded to F for the return after I experienced the "Polaris" hopeless tray service - which was due to to the inexperienced non-ExCOn relief steward who had only 3 months under his belt. He couldn't care less about giving an enthusiastic and above blah service. Luckily I had booked the ticket that allowed changes!

There is never any beef on India routes - same with LH. Always lamb dishes as a "substitute".

My daughters hated the Turbot - stay away from it.

Luckily I ordered the Asian Chicken Soup - it was pretty decent - but not spectacular.

Wanted to try the grilled cheese on my last segment, but the chicken soup satiated me sufficiently...

Maybe I have a menu around somewhere - but I think it's only the Dec 2016 one for BOM-EWR. (Already out of date)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jan 12, 2017 at 3:18 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA-½K
HND-SFO

Had the typical Japanese fare I saw posted earlier.

I had the beer braised beef cheek.

I was astonished that this was the best meal I ever had in the air. Wife said the Japanese meal wasn't all that bad either. This is comparing it to the offering on the DEN-HND route a year earlier.

Only gripe was that they did not have a lot of each choice, so they were running out of options and a lot of people had to settle for second choice. I was so pleased with the meal, I broke a long taboo of not ordering the egg dish for breakfast. The cheese omelet was not spectacular, but much better than I thought it would be.

The 777 had the older business class configuration, where you need to step over someone if you are in the middle. The annoying thing was two pillows, two blankets, amenity kit, slippers... I looked like someone who looted a Bed Bath & Beyond holding all that crap on take off.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by rworne
I looked like someone who looted a Bed Bath & Beyond holding all that crap on take off.
Best comment in a while. ^
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by daisyatl
Has anyone by chance had a special meal yet (like vegan/vegetarian)?
Sorry I missed this query. My neighbour on TATL (IAH<->LHR, can't remember which direction) had vegetarian. It looked terrible, delivered as a shrink-wrapped plastic tray
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Sorry I missed this query. My neighbour on TATL (IAH<->LHR, can't remember which direction) had vegetarian. It looked terrible, delivered as a shrink-wrapped plastic tray
you sure that wasn't a Kosher meal?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
you sure that wasn't a Kosher meal?
Yes. The recipient was, uhhhhh, loud.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
I think the elimination of the bread basket and the cheese cart, the salad service with dressing choice may be related to establishing a more consistent service across flights and crews. Eliminate these elements of the service that require a human touch, and you reduce the risk of complaints and disgruntled passengers.

Also, I think UA especially with its unions and the employee ownership, have a process that allows flight crew reps to get involved in the decision making process to change up the service.

I have had some of the best service from foreign city based crews inbound to SFO and what I suspect are former CO only crews (before the union deal was reached), and as well some of the most horrible service possible from global first out of SFO to TPAC destinations.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Benebene
... Also, I think UA especially with its unions and the employee ownership, ...
The UA employee ownership position / ESOP was wiped out 15 years ago in the 2002 bankruptcy.

Mode Hat On

Let's return to the thread subject, food options for Polaris First & Polaris Business flights.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.