Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It's exclusive to the 77W. The 744, and for that matter, 772/767/787, just set up a trolley cart in front of one of the exit doors to the side of the galley.
Nice - the lav in the background appeared to be the larger starboard-side one on the 772 (PMCO) / second galley in between the first and second biz sections, but this is a welcome design.

Looks like the extended ledge (sticking out in the photo) might assist the FAs as well during meal service/any other serving times as well...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:47 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I flew to Asia yesterday and had the exact same menu. The best thing on the menu was that "farro salad" thing with the cranberries and pumpkin seeds. I could have eaten a entree-sized portion of that. A close second was the pretzel-caramel-chocolate bars.

I amazingly slept for 7 hours (9 hours into the flight by this point), woke up hungry and was very disappointed that the tomato soup/grilled cheese was already "sold out". I muddled through an unextraordinary wrap until I spotted some pretzel-caramel-chocolate squares again, which paired nicely with a glass of cold milk.

Passed on breakfast. My neighbor had the omelette--I'd have done the cereal if I was hungry and had a preview. It looked horribly bland and overlooked.

Great service...I'm not a drinker, but a wine flight sounded fun on this, my first Polaris flight. The F/A was very informative as he poured. Ended up loving the Cote-du-Rhone and had 2 additional glasses. (Probably why I slept 7 hours!)

...And loved my first visit to the ORD Polaris lounge. Nothing new to add. Just wish I had more time there, as I could only do the pre-plated 'buffet food'.

Originally Posted by transportprof
This will call for adaptation of my Bailey's sundae protocol. Before, I had the FA add Bailey's to the sundae dish. Now, I'll order the Bailey's and transfer the ice cream from the dixie cup into the cocktail glass. @:-)
Yeah, be careful...My flight was a mango sorbet cup. Not sure how well that mixes with Bailey's.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
So I am really hoping the sundae is back for my first TATL J experience in late May. SFO-CDG.

Some of these dessert pictures look amazing. Can one choose multiple desserts? I really like dessert!

I am excited for the entire dining experience. Wine flight, cheese, ice cream! And some sort of entree. All at 35,000 feet. Sounds great to me!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pfpdx
Can one choose multiple desserts? I really like dessert!
Yup! Enjoy ^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:56 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Whole cashews??

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
OMG, are those *whole* cashews? I thought we'd never see those again.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:41 am

Agree 100% - not risotto and not good. Only after adding butter, salt and pepper was it edible, and even then I only had a few bites.

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
I had this ex IAH last week. Bland without any seasoning whatsoever. And it wasn't risotto - not creamy at all.

I attempted to season it with a little salt and pepper, but alas UA seems to have changed its individual salt and pepper shakers to a new vendor.

After peeling back the protective seal, the hole was too small for any salt to appear even with vigorous shaking. I managed to widen the hole a little with a tine of my fork but even then not much salt could be produced. A little while later one of the FAs was going around the cabin with a pepper grinder.

I do miss the soup option that was in the winter rotation!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
From this week...

4/25: UA110 (EWR-LHR, dinner in Polaris business on 3-class 763)

Champagne (perhaps sparkling wine? That is what they said it was on the way back) and chocolate for PDB

Menu...interestingly enough, it was the exact same as the menu on EWR-AMS that I had flown 2 weeks earlier.

Salad, appetizer and bread. Bread was solid, the duck breast is one of the better appetizers, and the salad was a bit boring.

Went with the short rib (same as I did last time)...this is actually a pretty good dish overall, and the slightly sweet (believe it is beet-infused) BBQ sauce works really well with it.

I only wanted a little cheese and ended up with 3 giant blocks. Only the hard (think it was some kind of cheddar) was worth sampling...the blue was too generic, and the soft cheese wasn't thawed enough. I skipped dessert after chowing down the block of cheddar.

Breakfast omelet - although I like the flavor, I know this is stuffed with cream cheese, which I end up leaving a good amount of on the plate. I was very much a fan to see they have gotten rid of generic sugarbomb yogurt and replaced with Chobani.

4/29: UA17 (LHR-EWR, lunch in Polaris First on 3-class 763)

Wine list...drank all except the Sauvignon Blanc and the red blend...all pretty drinkable, with the Chardonnay probably being the best overall.

Menu. The midflight hot snack was a British-style cottage pie, which I ended up having as my pre-flight arrival dish instead of chicken.

Glass of the NZ pinot noir - probably needs a couple more years before you can tell if it'll be a winner or not from a flavor profile.

Starting bite. While it tasted fine, I think they should stop serving soft cheeses on planes - they always have a rubbery texture that I'm not a huge fan of.

Beet-infused salmon - have had this before in J, although I felt like in Polaris First I got a larger portion. Very good overall. The garlic bread was worse than usual, though.

Soup! Porcini mushroom soup was excellent. I know people make fun of the difference between J and F just being soup, but both I have had in GF/Polaris First have been very good.

Went with the curry option for main course. I wish they would have gotten rid of the veggies (which I have no interest in) and just had more curry and rice. It was pretty good, although because I ate this over an hour after regular meal service had concluded, the rice was a tad stale (maybe they had warmed it up along with everyone else's meal).

Skipped the cheese course this time and went straight to dessert. The purser said there was less dessert catered than usual, but I like the fruit-based bites (these were raspberry cheesecakes - excellent) a lot.

Cottage pie - a very British dish, pretty much like shepherd's pie from what I can tell, but with some cheese in the potato layer. Could have used a little more salt on it, but overall solid. I have yet to fly on a Polaris flight (granted, only has been 3 that have had it) that has had a subpar or mediocre midflight hot snack.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
UA7 IAH-NRT
Tuesday, March 14
B777-200

WESTERN DINING SERVICE
STARTERS
Chilled Appetizer
Chicken, shrimp, cucumber, egg-flavored sweet vinegar sauce

Salad
Boston lettuce, soba noodles with sesame dressing, bell pepper, radish

ENTREE
Seared short rib
Barbecue sauce, basmati rice, carrot, sugar snap peas

Char siu duck
Swiss chard with pancetta, sauteed apple

Miso-glazed arapaima
Soy beurre blanc, green tea soba noodles, bok choy, carrot, daikon

JAPANESE DINING SERVICE
STARTERS
Zensai - Cherry leaf wrapped eel and potato, egg wrapped snow crab, shrimp ball skewer, soybean and egg jelly, miso cream cheese

Nimono - A simmered dish with chicken, pumpkin and fried tofu

Kobachi - Bamboo shoot and squid with sweet miso paste
Served with miso soup, pickled vegetables and a cup of green tea

ENTREE
Chilean sea bass with spinach cream sauce
Served with mixed vegetable seasoned rice

DESSERTS
International cheese assortment
Signature sundae
Sweet treats

ANYTIME A LA CARTE MENU
Cold Bites
Fruit, sweet and salty snacks, sandwiches

Hot Bites
Shrimp in garlic tomato sauce with egg fried rice
Tomato basil soup served with an aged cheddar grilled cheese sandwich
Instant noodle soup

ARRIVAL DINING SERVICE
Southwestern omelet
Chicken katsu
Fresh seasonal fruit with cereal and milk
Old May 2, 2017, 7:07 am

UA892 ICN-SFO
Wednesday, March 22
B747-400

STARTERS
Chilled Appetizer
Citrus herb prawn, orange, wasabi mayo
Salad
Mixed greens, cucumber, lotus root

ENTREE
Beef short rib
Bulgogi sauce, rice, onion, shittake mushroom
Chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella and spinach
Tomato sauce, Parmesan polenta, seasonal vegetables
Chicken with stir-fried noodles
Spicy black bean sauce, black mushroom, bok choy
Pan-seared sole
Shrimp, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, vegetable couscous, broccoli, mushroom

DESSERTS
Signature sundae
Sweet treats

ANYTIME A LA CARTE MENU
Cold Bites

Hot Bites
Regional offering: Teriyaki chicken, noodles
Instant noodle soup

ARRIVAL DINING SERVICE
Quiche - Pesto cream sauce, Parmesan, onion - served with chicken sausage, potatoes and fruit
Korean beef soup - Anchovy broth, egg, noodles, carrot zucchini - served with fruit
Fresh seasonal fruit - served with cereal and milk
Old May 2, 2017, 7:16 am

UA989 IAD-FRA
Thursday, April 2022
B777-200

STARTERS
Chilled Appetizer
Smoked duck, farro salad with cranberry and pumpkin seed, brined carrot, whole-grain mustard
Kale, mesclun, roasted fennel, bell pepper, pomegranate seed

ENTREE
Seared short rib
Char siu duck
Miso-glazed arapaima
Ancient grain risotto
Quinoa salad with grilled chicken

DESSERTS
Signature sundae
Sweet treats

ANYTIME A LA CARTE MENU
Cold Bites
Fruit, sweet and salty snacks

ARRIVAL DINING SERVICE
Provence-style omelet

One of the three white wines was substituted and of course, no sundae :-(
Bread refills were offered so loaded up on the garlic bread
The arapaima was a great meal
Old May 2, 2017, 7:23 am

UA935 LHR-LAX
Tuesday, April 25
B787-9 - my first ride on one!

STARTERS
Chilled Appetizer
Beet-infused smoked salmon, pickled beet, capers
Salad
Mixed greens, tomato, papaya, sunflower seed

ENTREE
Roasted rack of lamb
Butter chicken with jeera pulao
Roasted halibut
Butternut squash ravioli
Seasonal salad with grilled chicken

DESSERTS
Signature sundae
Sweet treats

ANYTIME A LA CARTE MENU
Cold Bites

Hot Bites
Cottage pie
Tomato soup served with a grilled cheese sandwich

ARRIVAL DINING SERVICE
Grilled chicken - cream of mushroom, herbed rice, carrot
Fruit and cheese plate - served with assorted cured meats

Only two white wines were loaded and ran out of gel pillows
Really like the appetizer but the lamb was really disappointing, lots of work for not much meat
The ice cream was delicious, honey ginger flavor
The grilled chicken arrival option sounded gross so asked them to save a soup and grilled cheese for me, which the FA was happy to do, and two others nearby did the same thing
Old May 2, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
What can I expect on a 5:45pm Polaris flight IAD-AMS? Most definitely dinner and maybe snacks, but surely no breakfast on such a short flight. Right?
Old May 2, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
What can I expect on a 5:45pm Polaris flight IAD-AMS? Most definitely dinner and maybe snacks, but surely no breakfast on such a short flight. Right?
There will be a breakfast on it. I had one EWR-AMS.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
There will be a breakfast on it. I had one EWR-AMS.
Wow. Hopefully I can find some time to sleep in between all of this eating!
Old May 2, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
UA892 ICN-SFO
Wednesday, March 22
B747-400

STARTERS
Chilled Appetizer
Citrus herb prawn, orange, wasabi mayo
Salad
Mixed greens, cucumber, lotus root

ENTREE
Beef short rib
Bulgogi sauce, rice, onion, shittake mushroom
Chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella and spinach
Tomato sauce, Parmesan polenta, seasonal vegetables
Chicken with stir-fried noodles
Spicy black bean sauce, black mushroom, bok choy
Pan-seared sole
Shrimp, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, vegetable couscous, broccoli, mushroom

DESSERTS
Signature sundae
Sweet treats

ANYTIME A LA CARTE MENU
Cold Bites

Hot Bites
Regional offering: Teriyaki chicken, noodles
Instant noodle soup

ARRIVAL DINING SERVICE
Quiche - Pesto cream sauce, Parmesan, onion - served with chicken sausage, potatoes and fruit
Korean beef soup - Anchovy broth, egg, noodles, carrot zucchini - served with fruit
Two whole changes in that menu in May:

1. The appetizer is now a Peppered salmon tataki with radish sproud and yzu jelly (I love my yuzu and that was quite decent)

2. The breakfast soup is now a Ramen miso soup with pork, baby corn, and green onion.

Everything else is unchanged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.