Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

They're seriously serving the nuts with garbage soybean filler on Polaris??????

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 1, 2017 at 7:02 pm Reason: Limit image quotes to relevant images -- helps the small screen folks
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Beware of the duck.

Of the 5 choices on the FRA-SFO flight in GF, it was the least objectionable. It was so disgusting, I sent it back to the kitchen. Unfortunately, I had already chosen the least offensive option from the menu and there was no alternative. It's sad that even flying F I couldn't get an edible meal. I guess I will have to start ordering special meals again.
My advice: grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup from the mid-flight menu if you don't like pasta. Have a salad with it and then some macaroons. Or just ask for the pre-arrival chicken breast, which is better than the main course meats.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Any idea if this famous Asian chicken noodle soup will be available in March for flights to South America or will it be a whole new set of menu items?
I can tell you it was on the menu for my IAH-EZE flight in January.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
I can tell you it was on the menu for my IAH-EZE flight in January.
UA changes the menus every 5 -7 years whether it is needed or not
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Sorry to hear about the duck experience. I also had similar duck entree experience on another UA international route and on a LH flight also departed from FRA. I wonder if this particular UA entree is prepared by the same catering company that provides meals to LH.

On FRA-US flights in Feb, the other 4 entree choices were Short Ribs, Salmon, Ravioli and Shrimp salad. I have tried all the entrees except for the Ravioli. The Salmon and shrimp salad are pretty good, but I guess if one is not a fish or red meat eater, then there isn't a choice in this situation.
I just had the Char Siu Duck on EWR-BOM and at least this version was great.

One of the best dishes I've had on a plane. Tender, not too fatty. Nice salty / sweet combo, and maybe more French than Asian in style.

Wonder if there is something off about FRA / outstations with Polaris? Or something off about my taste buds?? Airplane food is airplane food, but in the realm of that it was among the best dishes I've tasted.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
They're seriously serving the nuts with garbage soybean filler on Polaris??????
I guess we all look at things differently. I'm so sick of the same nuts for years, that I welcome the soybean things.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:34 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My advice: grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup from the mid-flight menu if you don't like pasta. Have a salad with it and then some macaroons. Or just ask for the pre-arrival chicken breast, which is better than the main course meats.
I did ask for it midflight and I was served a stale cold grilled cheese that had been prepared much earlier. The bread was dry and hard. The only thing that made it edible was soaking it in the soup.

The first grilled cheese I had on my SFO-HKG flight was amazing--warm, crunchy with gooey cheese. None of my subsequent 5 Polaris flights came close to that one.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Was unaware (although it seems logical) that the grilled cheese sandwich quality changes so drastically based on departure city. Had it once, and thought NEVER again!
It was a tasteless blob of starch & fat that was pretty much impossible to swallow and digest.
Odd, as all the other food of Polaris is a step up from before (IMHO).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:10 am

I'm flying Business to EZE in a few weeks and just hope they still have the Asian Soup on for this month! Do they rotate the menu''s monthly or quarterly?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I'm flying Business to EZE in a few weeks and just hope they still have the Asian Soup on for this month! Do they rotate the menu''s monthly or quarterly?
No one really knows yet how quickly they plan to rotate Polaris menus. Definitely not monthly though since the Asian Fusion soup has been on there since 12/1 (which is good since I love it!). I'd say odds are it'll still be there.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:08 am

Great news! Are the Polaris items the same everywhere? I seem to remember seeing flying to Asian destinations they had completely different menu items where as Europe/South America/Australia have their own menu.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
To the extent it's helpful (and sounds like there is a lot of service inconsistency here), I had a great grilled cheese sandwich mid-flight on UA179 six weeks ago - definitely was not stale.

Originally Posted by Pat89339
I did ask for it midflight and I was served a stale cold grilled cheese that had been prepared much earlier. The bread was dry and hard. The only thing that made it edible was soaking it in the soup.

The first grilled cheese I had on my SFO-HKG flight was amazing--warm, crunchy with gooey cheese. None of my subsequent 5 Polaris flights came close to that one.
Originally Posted by narvik
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Was unaware (although it seems logical) that the grilled cheese sandwich quality changes so drastically based on departure city. Had it once, and thought NEVER again!
It was a tasteless blob of starch & fat that was pretty much impossible to swallow and digest.
Odd, as all the other food of Polaris is a step up from before (IMHO).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:59 am

I like the Edamame
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
I like the Edamame
Me too I thought it was fine. I didn't know this was something we were supposed to scoff at like broken cashews or not getting a MOP spoon with caviar.
I thought they add a nice hollow crunch to the nut mix.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:23 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
NOT good, if you are allergic to soybeans, like I am.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.