Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.95 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Asian Fusion Soup is very good. But, you better hope no turbulence else you're going to have a big mess all over your clothes.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Asian Fusion Soup is very good. But, you better hope no turbulence else you're going to have a big mess all over your clothes.
It would have to be some pretty strong turbulence. The soup is pretty thick and the bowl very stable.

Would be way more worried about beverages...if I worried at all.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Recent FRA-IAD Polaris Business

Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
How was the salmon? I got the pasta & all I could taste was lemon...
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
How was the salmon? I got the pasta & all I could taste was lemon...
United must be making lemon farmers happy since revamping its menu!

I have seen more lemons (and limes) served on "Polaris" flights (9 so far in 2017) than the entire 2016 in United Business.

The entree salmon was fine. I only squeezed half of the lemon wedge.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
United must be making lemon farmers happy since revamping its menu!

I have seen more lemons (and limes) served on "Polaris" flights (9 so far in 2017) than the entire 2016 in United Business.

The entree salmon was fine. I only squeezed half of the lemon wedge.
They prefer the term "growers" and please order extra lemon, helps keep me in F.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Excellent dish...

Originally Posted by goodeats21
It would have to be some pretty strong turbulence. The soup is pretty thick and the bowl very stable.

Would be way more worried about beverages...if I worried at all.
I concur on the quality of this dish. For reference it is very much a Khao Soi without the accompanyments. Thicker soup (more Burmese style than the Northern Thai style). Chicken was a skinned and defatted dark meat. I would have liked a crunch component from crispy garlic (yeah right) or even those crispy chow mein noodles that I see on the shelf in most grocers.

The bowl was broad and stable and along with the thickness of the soup... you would need some cutlery in air turbulence. It is definitely an eat carefully dish if in lighter colours.

The did supply a spoon but it was a ceramic teaspoon. Save a piece of bread to wipe the bowl clean!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:31 am

Any idea if this famous Asian chicken noodle soup will be available in March for flights to South America or will it be a whole new set of menu items?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:47 am

On an admittedly bizarre note, does anyone know if AA and DAL imprint their logos on the glassware? I notied on my Polaris flight that the glasses don't have the globe, just "U N I T E D".
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SLC-YYZ
I concur on the quality of this dish.

The bowl was broad and stable and along with the thickness of the soup... you would need some cutlery in air turbulence. It is definitely an eat carefully dish if in lighter colours.

The did supply a spoon but it was a ceramic teaspoon. Save a piece of bread to wipe the bowl clean!
I also concur the quality of the dish, although I like the soup to be a bit thinner. Without destroying the flavor the the dish, I experimented adding a quarter cup( United coffee cup) of hot water into it, and it actually helped with the after taste.

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Any idea if this famous Asian chicken noodle soup will be available in March for flights to South America or will it be a whole new set of menu items?
When are you flying? I am flying to South America on March 10 and can report back, if no one on this board flies earlier.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
On an admittedly bizarre note, does anyone know if AA and DAL imprint their logos on the glassware? I notied on my Polaris flight that the glasses don't have the globe, just "U N I T E D".
I cannot comment on AA and DL, as I am an exclusive *A flyer. SQ, AC, CA, ZH, LH, LX and OS only show logos. NH and TG have the logos with ANA and Thai on their glassware.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recent EWR-PEK Polaris Business

Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Have flown 4 Polaris flights so far this year. I think the quality and taste of the food has improved. It is much more consistent. However, the quantity is over the top. I rarely want bread, yet every flight 2 pieces are wasted. I don't like or always want their appetizers and every trip it goes to waste. But I had to laugh on one flight. We were not that hungry and told them we only wanted the main course and dessert. What we received was a full tray with 2 pieces of bread, salad, appetizer, main course and all the desserts (minus the ice cream). So 3 little cups of desserts, the small apple pie and the salted caramel bar. It was overwhelming to say the least.

Also tried the lobster mac (they served BF on our day flight to LHR out of EWR) instead of their breakfast selections and it was very good. The chicken soup is next on my list to try.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
Have flown 4 Polaris flights so far this year. I think the quality and taste of the food has improved. It is much more consistent. However, the quantity is over the top. I rarely want bread, yet every flight 2 pieces are wasted. I don't like or always want their appetizers and every trip it goes to waste. But I had to laugh on one flight. We were not that hungry and told them we only wanted the main course and dessert. What we received was a full tray with 2 pieces of bread, salad, appetizer, main course and all the desserts (minus the ice cream). So 3 little cups of desserts, the small apple pie and the salted caramel bar. It was overwhelming to say the least.

Also tried the lobster mac (they served BF on our day flight to LHR out of EWR) instead of their breakfast selections and it was very good. The chicken soup is next on my list to try.
I think they provisioned most of the stuff to capacity to at least learn what the up-take was. Saw a memo go out to inflight that they will be reducing/adjusting quantities so that there is not as much waste.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:01 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Beware of the duck.

Of the 5 choices on the FRA-SFO flight in GF, it was the least objectionable. It was so disgusting, I sent it back to the kitchen. Unfortunately, I had already chosen the least offensive option from the menu and there was no alternative. It's sad that even flying F I couldn't get an edible meal. I guess I will have to start ordering special meals again.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Beware of the duck.

Of the 5 choices on the FRA-SFO flight in GF, it was the least objectionable. It was so disgusting, I sent it back to the kitchen. Unfortunately, I had already chosen the least offensive option from the menu and there was no alternative. It's sad that even flying F I couldn't get an edible meal. I guess I will have to start ordering special meals again.
Sorry to hear about the duck experience. I also had similar duck entree experience on another UA international route and on a LH flight also departed from FRA. I wonder if this particular UA entree is prepared by the same catering company that provides meals to LH.

On FRA-US flights in Feb, the other 4 entree choices were Short Ribs, Salmon, Ravioli and Shrimp salad. I have tried all the entrees except for the Ravioli. The Salmon and shrimp salad are pretty good, but I guess if one is not a fish or red meat eater, then there isn't a choice in this situation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.