Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
ORD->AMS
Polaris Global First

No slippers available, but otherwise very nice service. I had the much-vaunted Asian Fusion soup and agree it is a winner. Unfortunately, a portion of my noodles were hard and crunchy. I think they were not submerged in the liquid during heating.

Garlic bread was pretty sad. NRT should tour the network and show everyone how to do it.

Very nice to have real salad dressing in PGF!

I skipped the pre-arrival meal as I wasn't hungry at all, and slept until about 30 minutes prior to arrival...and had my first go-around, though I will have to find the right thread for that.
Attached Images          
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have to wonder.. are they just axing the soup course entirely when GF goes away? I would love some soup in the J cabin..
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Recent LHR-IAD Polaris Business (Include LHR GF Lounge)

Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
AMS->ORD
Polaris Business

Typical service. No slippers again.

Cheese course was very good, probably due to locally sourced. Noticeably better taste when compared with ex-USA.

I thought the Balsamic dressing couldn't get any worse, then they went and served a "Cranberry Balsamic" bottle with the pre-arrival service.
Attached Images        
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
AMS->ORD
Polaris Business

Typical service. No slippers again.

Cheese course was very good, probably due to locally sourced. Noticeably better taste when compared with ex-USA.

I thought the Balsamic dressing couldn't get any worse, then they went and served a "Cranberry Balsamic" bottle with the pre-arrival service.
Your menu is virtually identical to my FRA-EWR - the only difference is the midflight snack and the 2nd meat entree (I had duck; you have chicken) and the fish (I had salmon; you have cod). The salad, appetizer, and pre-flight arrival food is the exact same.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Your menu is virtually identical to my FRA-EWR - the only difference is the midflight snack and the 2nd meat entree (I had duck; you have chicken) and the fish (I had salmon; you have cod). The salad, appetizer, and pre-flight arrival food is the exact same.
Had the Salmon on NRT IAD in GF yesterday , food was cooked ok but served in an over overpoweringly smelly bouillabaisse sauce that could have been off.
Ran out of some red wine and Glenfarclas. Cold garlic bread and they still maintain this economy class presentation of breads and cheese.
Did not eat the second course, Nice crew but Polaris dining service fails to impress
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
TLV-SFO 2/24/17

Starters:

Shrimp with noodle and cucumber salad

Mixed green salad, dried fig, sun-dried tomato, date

Entree:

Rack of Lamb: Lemon baharat spice, tomato basil sauce, black lentil medley, braised carrot dolma

Sea Bass: Yuzu butter sauce, black quinoa, black lentil, rice, beet pasta, walnuts, dried apricot and mandarin

Stuffed Chicken Breast: mozzarella eggplant parmesan stuffing, pomodoro sauce, spagetti, spinich, sun-dried cherry tomato

Chestnut Ravioli: curry orange butter sauce, leek, asparagus, mushroom

Hot bites:ask your FA? never seen this before, forgot to ask the FA

Arrival:

Omelette (plain) served with potato, asparagus, bell pepper and a side of Israeli salad

Fresh Seaonal Fruit, with side of yogurt, cereal and milk.

We also landed at 5:02am and had to wait on the plane until 6:00am for customs to open.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Gold, National Executive
it appears that UA has gotten it's menu's worked out for the most part, so I'll give UA a try on our return flights from Europe this summer.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another Recent PEK-SFO Polaris Business

Menu in this post: PEK-SFO Menu

Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
ORD-HKG last week. Wines did not match the menu at all. Hopefully this was a one-off catering mistake, otherwise we're destined to go back to the generic descriptions of old world and new world wines.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recent EWR-MAD Polaris Business

Journey actually started in IAD. Great to see UA deployed a 757 on IAD-EWR with flatbed and snack offerings.

EWR-MAD is on 763

Flight time was about 6 1/2 hours with favorable wind. I decided to sleep a bit longer and skipped the pre-arrival meal.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Feb 25, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another IAD-PEK Polaris Business Flight

I experienced the worst Congee on this flight. Congee is supposed to be a soupy dish. The one served on this flight is much like mash potato texture.

I have also observed IAD-PEK has often gone transatlantic instead of being transpacific.

Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Snip...

I have also observed IAD-PEK has often gone transatlantic instead of being transpacific.

Snip...
​​​​​
From a distance perspective it should be a flight over the North Pole, so this is very close to the shortest route. Over the Pacific would be longer. On the return flight it is probably very likely to go over the Pacific as they can often catch very favorable winds in that direction. (sorry for going off meal topic)
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
From a distance perspective it should be a flight over the North Pole, so this is very close to the shortest route. Over the Pacific would be longer. On the return flight it is probably very likely to go over the Pacific as they can often catch very favorable winds in that direction. (sorry for going off meal topic)
Taking a route like this is on my bucket list just to see if I can get lucky and see the auroras from the high altitude.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 950 IAD-BRU, 2/24/17
767-400ER, seat 1A

You all did not steer me wrong recommending the Asian fusion chicken soup. Delicious! The FA placed a spoon on my tray right after bringing it, so I did not have to ask for one as somebody else here recently did.

The shrimp appetizer (two with a green papaya mango salad) and the dessert (I got a sundae with a toffee-bar-crunch topping, plus a little thing of tiramisu) stood out as well.

I had forgotten how nice it is not to have to ask which wine they're pouring! The wine flight idea is a great idea, and I appreciated that the selections included not just the mandatory French and Californian selections--any idiot can put together a wine list from those two places--but a white and a red from Greece. I wound up liking them more than the other two in each group. The champagne (unidentified in the menu, and I forgot to ask) also came in an actual flute.

I was less excited about the breads, which were only lukewarm.

I in no way needed breakfast a little over four hours after finishing this meal, but in the interest of science I went ahead and got the omelette anyway. The filling was advertised as provolone, roasted pepper and onion, but the cheese was closer to sour cream in its consistency.

In other news, I have to work on my airplane-food picture-taking skills!
Attached Images      

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.