Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
You're right! I didn't see that. This one is only good for 2 days (or 24 hours, depending on which part of the voucher you read). The GA came onto the flight after boarding and handed them out. Didn't say anything about having to use them within 48 hours. Not likely anyone would have used it in EWR on arrival at 8:17pm - even less likely the next 2 days except for those few back at EWR today or tomorrow. Nice gesture - but pretty pointless if you don't warn people.

Unrelated question: If you spend $15.00 at a food vendor and give them this certificate, you don't get change, but you hand over the certificate. After you leave, can the vendor charge the balance of the face value to United and end up with the entire amount of the voucher?
Correct you do not get the change.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Unrelated question: If you spend $15.00 at a food vendor and give them this certificate, you don't get change, but you hand over the certificate. After you leave, can the vendor charge the balance of the face value to United and end up with the entire amount of the voucher?
No. These vouchers are processed by hand, and the food establishment claiming reimbursement must include a copy of the receipt. The food establishment is only paid the amount on the receipt, or the amount of the voucher, whichever is less.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
I always take pictures meaning to post them, but never seem to remember at the end of the trip. Anyway, I've seen the Hummus plate mentioned several times in the last few days. I have gotten it a few times and it is really pretty good and healthy for plane food.

UA Hummus plate for breakfast
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
No. These vouchers are processed by hand, and the food establishment claiming reimbursement must include a copy of the receipt. The food establishment is only paid the amount on the receipt, or the amount of the voucher, whichever is less.
In the darkest days of pmUA, it was hard to get vendors at ORD to take food or taxi vouchers because UA was so lousy at reimbursement.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Dec 6 Sjc-ewr choice of huevos rancheros or an apple crepe with sausage. The huevos rancheros was decent, served on a sweet cornmeal bread/pancake type thing. Crepe looked decent too.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mmayer
I always take pictures meaning to post them, but never seem to remember at the end of the trip. Anyway, I've seen the Hummus plate mentioned several times in the last few days. I have gotten it a few times and it is really pretty good and healthy for plane food.
Meh, that still looks like a pretty poor excuse for a full meal.

Also wait.. does that mean there are breakfast flights where I can't just stick to cereal+yogurt with fruit? Yikes - thought that was always available as a default option, although I very rarely take breakfast flights.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
I've seen them at ORD just punch in the CC information on the certificate and be done with it, and at SFO this last week the reciept was stapled to my vouchers.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:35 am

Punching it in ≠ ultimately getting paid

If they weren't stapling the receipts before, I bet they'd have to go back and find it later and print another copy.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:40 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mmayer
I just don't see it as a breakfast. Whats really disappointing though is that it seems the only two options on most mid-cons has been the egg white pastry or this hummus plate. 2 really not great options. I miss the days of the french toast soufflé or an omelet, or an egg sandwich instead of omelet. Or even the oatmeal or cereal. Theres no variety anymore. i'm back on my regular IAH-LGA on Tuesday, I can almost guarantee the options will be hummus plate or egg white pastry.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by S.R
Theres no variety anymore. i'm back on my regular IAH-LGA on Tuesday, I can almost guarantee the options will be hummus plate or egg white pastry.
It's like the old turkey puck. They've probably got a warehouse full of kale frisbees and canned hummus that they got at some insane discount.

Ghost of Smisek.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bluepig1
I've read the past 40 pages of this thread, and had read the domestic First catering website you reference BEFORE my original posting, and honestly I'm still not clear. FLL-IAH, at 2 hr 51 min, clearly falls into the 2 hr 31 min-3 hr 59 min range, but the description references only breakfast flights under 3 hours as getting a snack - should I interpret a noon departure as a breakfast flight? Furthermore, I'm traveling 2 days later on IAH-ORD, a 2 hr 42 min flight, and it shows dinner being served.

So in the past 40 pages of this thread - all I take away is that UA is cutting catering offerings, but this still seems quite inconsistently applied.

Also just emailed GS Customer Care to inquire. Will update.
So, post-flight update:

12:00pm departure - The flight attendant initially only offered a "cheese plate with grapes" as a snack, but then came back around (in order of status off the manifest) to indicate there was indeed a second choice, an Asian noodle salad with roast beef. Having had the Asian Noodle Salad dinner option with grilled chicken (which I rather like), I picked this. It was not good. Noodles were pre-dressed with some soy/cilantro/sesame oil thing; the ramekin had a wedge of lime and pickled ginger in it. The dish was better with the addition of the squeeze of lime, but still not great. The beef was ok, lightly marinated with a supposedly "asian" marinade. The Boston lettuce underneath was soggy from the pre-dressed noodles having sat on it for a while. And, as with "snacks" - no bread, no dessert, no nuts - just the Ghiradelli chocolate. Thank goodness I had just enough time arriving at the gate to grab & go a salad otherwise I would still have been hungry. For the future, I'll probably just ask for a Tapas box from the back.

When inquiring with GS customer care after the flight indicating I was disappointed with the cut to First Class catering service, their response was:

Thank you for your reply.

We are constantly evaluating our menu offerings to best reflect the tastes of our customers. Beginning Sept. 1, we will be testing new meal offerings on select flights. One of the changes the discontinuation of the full breakfast.

I will make sure that your feedback is shared with the catering team during this meal testing phase.
So it's just great that they gave me a form response that was clearly copied/pasted - the response was on Dec 7, and uses future tense for a Sept 1 change.

One O/T silver lining - this flight had one of the best Captains I've flown - he passed out business cards with handwritten "thank you for your business" messages (I've only had this happen on international flights, and only for GS passengers), shook each First Class passenger's hand, and gave the flight information announcements to the First Class cabin in person, standing in the front aisle. Really friendly, and definitely above and beyond. Too bad the catering was so disappointing.

Separately - UA1967 IAH-ORD dinner on Dec 6 had a choice between Buffalo Mac & Cheese with grilled chicken, and the peppered grilled salmon salad. I've had this salad a number of times before, and as usual it was great. Baby greens, goat cheese, dried cranberries, sliced fennel, and sliced granny smith apples on the salad.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Beginning Sept. 1, we will be testing new meal offerings on select flights. One of the changes the discontinuation of the full breakfast.
Translation: "Despite record profits, we're cutting service some more, and hoping our customers don't notice. If there's enough complaining, or if we see a material drop in revenue, we may change our minds."
goodeats21 and tstauck like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:04 am

It's a shame that GS Customer Care doesn't actually care.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: SK Diamond
So does anyone know what's happening with BOS-LAX? I know BOS-SFO is a premium transcon but is -LAX being considered that as well for meal reasons?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cityboy340
So does anyone know what's happening with BOS-LAX? I know BOS-SFO is a premium transcon but is -LAX being considered that as well for meal reasons?
Only if some other airlines do it first. And then, only maybe since it requires more 752 planes.

BOS-LAX/LAX-BOS @ once per day won't cut it as a t.p.s. model.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.