Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
What I'm told is the department was running way over budget this year due to Polaris onboard, so had to make some cuts through end of year. They're probably also testing these changes made in relation to the cuts to see if it impacts service, ratings etc., otherwise they'll probably revert back early next year.
If it is truly an on board issue versus clubs and food in those locations,I would love to understand the detail of "over budget" and where they are overspending given that Polaris on board had a number cuts from the previous service.Sure they added a $2 packet of cookies to serve with desert which got a few sweet tooth's excited but wine is entry level (cost) at best,and the mid flight food is 70% recycled from the first course. I would be surprised the overspend was on food which is sub par to begin with, maybe it is on recycling of the seat products which would present some cost and complexity. Early this week I had a 4 sector trip, two meal service UA in J across the US, a Polaris TPAC ending in 1hr SYD-BNE hop with QF. The food and service on the hop was head and shoulders above anything UA put in front of me .I was concerned after watching US air become a discount carrier when Kirby was announced.Fears are fully confirmed
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I flew the 6:05 PM LGA-ORD yesterday. The app said dinner but we were served a snack basket. This flight has always had dinner. FA told me that they were told that this one and those after it would now be snack basket. I did get dinner the day before ORD-LGA. I hope this is not true even though I'm so sick of the Beef Provencale, Glass Noodle Salad with Beef, Buffalo Mac & Cheese, etc. I was surprised that dinner from ORD to LGA was a burger (which I actually like).
did you write to UA about this ... you should. This needs to get clarified ... could just be a catering error and the FA made something up.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I wrote 1K voice about this as well as the malfunctioning Wi-Fi and the flight attendant that was loudly talking to the gate agent about the "lousy Continental pilots" he had to fly with the other day. He actually said "I hate having to work with Continental people." The gate agent replied "I am one." He shrugged and boarded.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by as219
It’s stories like this that make me pretty comfortable with my decision to switch all of my paid F LGA-ORD travel to DL. When I make the mad dash from work to the airport to get on a 6 PM flight, getting an actual meal is kind of important. So long as UA is going to play games with this, i’m going to steer clear. @:-)
Definitely send your DL receipts to UA HQ so they can be aware of the reason you switched carriers.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by junglematt
UA340, Oct. 7
IAD-SFO, 2-class B772, 4A
Dinner
Pathetic. One tray service, tiny side salad, and pre-plated entree in casserole dishes on transcons now.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
That's so ridiculous and embarrassing. All those improvements made to meal service only to make it even worse than it originally was. I'm noticing also the "variety" of meals has gone down, same stuff over and over again just like before the short-lived improvements.

Looking at Delta, in particular, and AA, their portion sizes are larger than UA's transcons.

Even a regular salad on a domestic flight is too much to ask for apparently, majority now is shredded cabbage and balsamic.

Why make so many improvements only to pull back everything, and then make it even worse? Something doesn't make sense here.

That pesto souffle "breakfast" or whatever is also the norm now on transcons.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by demkr
Why make so many improvements only to pull back everything, and then make it even worse? Something doesn't make sense here.
Yes it makes it worse. We know they can do better, but now they apparently believe they don't need to.

I've been booking away.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by as219
It’s stories like this that make me pretty comfortable with my decision to switch all of my paid F LGA-ORD travel to DL. When I make the mad dash from work to the airport to get on a 6 PM flight, getting an actual meal is kind of important. So long as UA is going to play games with this, i’m going to steer clear. @:-)
LGA-ORD is still listed as an exception route for UA, so it would appear to be a catering mistake not to have a normal meal. Not what you want to base a decision on which carrier to choose. I know I'd rather have UA's mainline aircraft with ovens over the cold meals you often have to settle with on DL's RJs, but to each their own.

Originally Posted by demkr
Looking at Delta, in particular, and AA, their portion sizes are larger than UA's transcons.
DL's portions have gotten comically small. It looks decently-sized in pictures, but when you actually have in front you, you sometimes chuckle.

AA seems to be the clear leader again in size with UA next.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I wrote 1K voice about this as well as the malfunctioning Wi-Fi and the flight attendant that was loudly talking to the gate agent about the "lousy Continental pilots" he had to fly with the other day. He actually said "I hate having to work with Continental people." The gate agent replied "I am one." He shrugged and boarded.
A long time ago, 1989, in a land far away I was working on projects with BA aircraft maintenance in the technical buildings at LHR .The engineers (the rational ones) at that time still talked about themselves as BEA or BOAC , that was 15 years post merger....this is going to a be a long ride......like Palestine long ride
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:35 am

There was word earlier this year Polaris wine consumption came in well over budget which was the excuse for no wines listed for a period - they ran out of what was planned.

So I can see that as pressure in the back half budget.

But the other factors are a big increase in domestic flying capacity and yields not moving as fast as they want (similar story at AA/DL) with lingering effects from the Dao publicity. Harvey did no favors either and could see a snap reaction to that.

Up to us to send every signal this needs to change and see if it does matter at all.

The tough part is DL/AA are not very green. Now howling over at DL over domestic first wine cuts.

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
If it is truly an on board issue versus clubs and food in those locations,I would love to understand the detail of "over budget" and where they are overspending given that Polaris on board had a number cuts from the previous service.Sure they added a $2 packet of cookies to serve with desert which got a few sweet tooth's excited but wine is entry level (cost) at best,and the mid flight food is 70% recycled from the first course. I would be surprised the overspend was on food which is sub par to begin with, maybe it is on recycling of the seat products which would present some cost and complexity. Early this week I had a 4 sector trip, two meal service UA in J across the US, a Polaris TPAC ending in 1hr SYD-BNE hop with QF. The food and service on the hop was head and shoulders above anything UA put in front of me .I was concerned after watching US air become a discount carrier when Kirby was announced.Fears are fully confirmed
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I've been flying the ps route for years. Many here mention significant reductions on other domestic routes but I haven't really seen it on ps. We still get nuts with the beverage, an appetizer and a salad, a choice of 3 entrees and an ice cream sundae for dessert. And they've actually added cake, fruit and cheese to the dessert tray as well as a pre-landing snack which are positive additions. On my flight yesterday they seem to have "brought back" a choice of breads from a basket too.

I did notice that when the fruit and cheese service started many months ago the flight attendants would orally offer it to passengers. Now I find that I have to ask for it and they seem to be a little uncertain of how to plate it. I was in row 4 yesterday and did not see any fruit/cheese served to anyone else. It looked more like a garnish on the cart that an actual dessert option.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
SLC-EWR
Breakfast

Had the kale and cheese souffle. Didn't take a picture, since it's been featured so many times here. Difference was that the red sauce was served on the side instead of on top. There was also a packet with hot sauce. Came with fruit bowl and cinnamon roll.

Other option was the cold protein bowl (turkey, cheese, egg, lettuce, carrots, etc.), also served with fruit bowl and cinnamon roll.

This "one and done" service really is more appropriate for a shorter flight. There is time for a spaced out service with the fruit and bread basket first, particularly with only 3 rows of F.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny
I've been flying the ps route for years. Many here mention significant reductions on other domestic routes but I haven't really seen it on ps. We still get nuts with the beverage, an appetizer and a salad, a choice of 3 entrees and an ice cream sundae for dessert. And they've actually added cake, fruit and cheese to the dessert tray as well as a pre-landing snack which are positive additions. On my flight yesterday they seem to have "brought back" a choice of breads from a basket too.
Thanks for the feedback. I will be on p.s. shortly.
So, are the fruit & cheese plates/trays actually on the dessert cart alongside
the ice cream & cake?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the feedback. I will be on p.s. shortly.
So, are the fruit & cheese plates/trays actually on the dessert cart alongside
the ice cream & cake?
Yes.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
SFO-IAH 15 Oct 1040 am departure 788

Nuts still served.

Name:  PDB.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  364.8 KB

The tandoori chicken. Been around awhile but still not bad. Pretzel roll was hot, which was nice. Prefer sorbet or cookie to key lime pie, but still pretty tasty. All in all, I've had worse. No real cuts on this route as far as I can tell, other than the pre-plated dessert.

Name:  Main.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  488.7 KB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.