Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Unfortunately I don't think its a catering area, but rather a complete re-shift of what market classifications are. Using SAN as an example this is what I found out:

Previous classifications
SANDEN Short/Medium Haul
SANORD/IAH Mid-Con
SANEWR/IAD Trans-con

New classifications
SANDEN Short/Medium Haul Modified
SANORD/IAH Short/Medium
SANEWR/IAD Mid-con

So IAD/EWR to West Coast and LAX/SFO to the East Coast, with the exception of to/from Hawaii or BOS/EWR-LAX/SFO, basically get moved to the mid-con category. And the matrix is so convoluted at this point I can't make heads or tails of it to even really understand the logic.

Bottom line......I'm not convinced this is a "test" to solicit customer feedback. And while I expect that there would be modifications to save a few costs here or there, this is a terribly short sighted decision that I hope they roll back.
I blasted the weak food on my recent "How was your flight?" survey.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Bottom line......I'm not convinced this is a "test" to solicit customer feedback. And while I expect that there would be modifications to save a few costs here or there, this is a terribly short sighted decision that I hope they roll back.
These steps are simply amazing to me. The airlines have finally gotten people to the point where many will now purchase reasonably priced premium seats with better service, and then they start cutting back on those services.

Shooting themselves in the foot, I imagine.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I blasted the weak food on my recent "How was your flight?" survey.
I wonder if they actually pay attention to any of the information in those surveys though? For that matter do they even bother to consider to look at what AA offers for a comparative flight on ORDSAN? AA may not be fantastic, but it isn't offering a few cucumbers and slices of salmon for breakfast.

Originally Posted by 1kBill
These steps are simply amazing to me. The airlines have finally gotten people to the point where many will now purchase reasonably priced premium seats with better service, and then they start cutting back on those services.

Shooting themselves in the foot, I imagine.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it just doesn't make sense from the perspective that after such a volatile year for UA that they would be so short-sighted to degrade the premium product offering. I'm not even saying that I'm expecting that they would spend more, but with all of the ancillary revenue add-ons it would suggest they are collecting more per passenger not less. So what gives? Is it just greed? How do you differentiate yourself from competitors and make people want to choose you if you have a subpar product?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: United 1K
Unfortunately I don't think its a catering area, but rather a complete re-shift of what market classifications are. Using SAN as an example this is what I found out:

Previous classifications
SANDEN Short/Medium Haul
SANORD/IAH Mid-Con
SANEWR/IAD Trans-con

New classifications
SANORD/IAH Short/Medium
SANEWR/IAD Mid-con

So IAD/EWR to West Coast and LAX/SFO to the East Coast, with the exception of to/from Hawaii or BOS/EWR-LAX/SFO, basically get moved to the mid-con category. And the matrix is so convoluted at this point I can't make heads or tails of it to even really understand the logic.

This is 1K Voice’s response to my reporting the food problem.:

I'm so sorry we didn't provide you with the meal that you expected on your flight on October 04, 2017 in First Class. I can only imagine your disappointment as you were looking forward to a pleasant dining experience. I'll certainly share your feedback about this specific concern in order to make necessary changes if warranted.

So they sound surprised I was disappointed.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
New classifications
SANORD/IAH Short/Medium
SANEWR/IAD Mid-con
That explains the pathetic EWR-SNA dinner above.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
OMG that is outrageous! And egg, a piece of lettuce, and fish???? Hideous.
This is the new norm. They call it a "protein bowl" and it has been offered to me numerous times over the past few months (including BEFORE the 9/1 changes) as a breakfast choice. In one iteration of the bowl, the egg was removed and all that was there was almonds, hummus and carrot sticks. At 6 AM! FAs I have spoken to are upset about the changes, as well, since this affects what they can eat! Keep writing, including to those at the top of the food chain.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
This is 1K Voice’s response to my reporting the food problem.:

I'm so sorry we didn't provide you with the meal that you expected on your flight on October 04, 2017 in First Class. I can only imagine your disappointment as you were looking forward to a pleasant dining experience. I'll certainly share your feedback about this specific concern in order to make necessary changes if warranted.

So they sound surprised I was disappointed.
Well would you expect any less though?

Sounds like a certain boilerplate response.....you'd be hard pressed to find a reply from UA saying "while we understand that you are disappointed with our new meal offerings, we've implemented changes to cut costs without actually considering that our customers may not like the changes." What you got was basically a nice way of saying "yeah we know it sucks but we won't really do anything".
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
For those who intend to stick with UA going forward, please consider sending complaint correspondence after each flight (particularly paid premium) with a noticeable catering downgrade, I certainly will be.

The yo-yo effect is incredibly frustrating, and it is upsetting to see the positive catering improvements over past 18 months or so thrown completely out the window.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
For those who intend to stick with UA going forward, please consider sending complaint correspondence after each flight (particularly paid premium) with a noticeable catering downgrade, I certainly will be.

The yo-yo effect is incredibly frustrating, and it is upsetting to see the positive catering improvements over past 18 months or so thrown completely out the window.
I've been calling out issues with catering and F+B for months, if not over a year - the only time I stopped was during the brief period when meals were upgraded. With the downgrade, and the ability to get a free snack box or hot entree in coach as a 1K, I am trying to understand the value proposition of paying for F vs buying two adjacent coach seats with deeply discounted coach pricing.

Actually I'm trying to understand the entire value proposition of United domestic F product altogether - for someone who is already a 1K, I'm just not seeing it at all.

Maybe that's why they are giving it away to Kettles for $10?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've been calling out issues with catering and F+B for months, if not over a year - the only time I stopped was during the brief period when meals were upgraded. With the downgrade, and the ability to get a free snack box or hot entree in coach as a 1K, I am trying to understand the value proposition of paying for F vs buying two adjacent coach seats with deeply discounted coach pricing.
funny you say that ... I had a flight DFW-EWR a few weeks ago where I “Phantom” upgraded. At the gate I saw my name clear from #1 on the upgrade waitlist. When the GA paged me, he apologized for a screwup in processing the list. He explained he was shuffling around seats in F for someone and while he was redoing one reservation the system auto upgraded me into an open seat. He apologized and told me he moved me back into Row 21 and then kept the middle seat next to me empty to make up for it.

Awesome way for him to handle it proactively and as I was flying home I got to thinking .... “this is actually better than the upgrade would’ve been.”

I had the 1K-no-cost “bistro menu” burger which was quite tasty indeed. Certainly no downgrade from a domestic F meal, minus the china plate.

so yes - with the F&B downgrades lately, the economy menu is every bit as tasty as - and in fact sometimes more interesting than - domestic F meals!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Today, on the ORD-TUS flight, the breakfast in First was a platter of cheese with no bread, crackers or whatever else should be there to go with the cheese. And the cheese for sure was inedible, just the "plastic" type. Also, they seem to have changed the brand of the club soda. It was now Dasani sparkling water.

I don't know if I was supposed to post this here as the flight was operated by Skywest Airlines.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 6, 2017 at 2:20 pm Reason: Used wrong airport code, TUC instead of TUS
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
The ORD-SAN breakfast is a bad joke. This smells of Kirby, and is eerily reminiscent of the September 2014 AA meal cuts, which was instituted during Kirby's tenure there.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Redeye SEA-EWR. Snack choices were calzone or salmon salad. Picked the salmon salad, and it was pretty good - similar to the lunch offering, where the cold salmon was on a separate plate, and the salad greens were topped with cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and sliced apples, along with raspberry acai dressing. Chocolate is now a square of Ghirardelli salted caramel chocolate.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
The ORD-SAN breakfast is a bad joke. This smells of Kirby, and is eerily reminiscent of the September 2014 AA meal cuts, which was instituted during Kirby's tenure there.
So many underachievers with no vision in the airline industry these days...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
EWR-SNA
Dinner

6 hour flight. Was in last (3rd) row of 73G, so don't know what other option was. Only offered the chicken. PDB+nuts in ramkin+main dish+sundae. No hot towel.
Had this dish for lunch on EWR-SNA yesterday, and I really liked it. The grits are tasty. The other of the two options was the paneer, which my wife had, said it was delicious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.