Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by demkr
was there another choice for lunch? I do know that some flights to IAH were 3-class because of the temporary upgauging post-Harvey , but surprised there's no nuts. Major downgrade if this is the case. UA flights have had mixed nuts on all lunch/dinner flights for a decade or more
The second option was a cheese plate with 3 different types of cheese. Looked miserable.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Maybe that's what UA eventually wants to do - have everyone in domestic non-p.s. First order from the BoB menu - it would measurably simplify catering. Someone seated in First shouldn't have to be 1K to ask for something from the back.
That would work for me. And I agree that status shouldn't be the only way to get a meal "entitlement" from coach. But for now 1K and GS will eat worse in F than they would in Y given current meal policies.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
My bad - it wasn't the block time they changed, it was when they switched from mileage-based catering to the block times a few years ago is when we lost the snack plates. I believe TPA-IAD was 810 miles and had traditionally always received something. It wasn't until they went to block times that it went to a snack basket only. Regardless, I miss having some sort of substantial food on the route.
Ah, that certainly is conceivable. Wish it was still mileage-based. Can't fudge that.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Marcin83
On Sept. 1st I was one of the first victims of the "improved" menu. This is the "lunch" I was offered on ORD-IAH flight at 12.40. Literally 3 cold, small chicken slices, a leaf of lettuce and "salad". Nothing else. No dessert, no cookie, no nuts. Crappy, crappy, crappy

Now that is bad.

I was expecting a main course salad along the lines what they've served before.

This is less substantial than what passes for a 'snack.'

Unless there was a miscater and this got a 'snack' which I doubt since we're seeing something entirely new here.

Unfortunately I don't care for the selections on DL and AA, so I guess a new reason to not buy up.

No buy on board help here since it's less than 3:30.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by demkr
Wait... nuts and cookies were removed too? Can someone please clarify?

why haven't these changes been communicated to customers?
Please refer to my post outlining the changes
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28765226&postcount=724
Nuts/cookies were removed from lunch flights.

Regarding the lack of announcement, would you really want to communicate a significant downgrade to passengers though?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619

Regarding the lack of announcement, would you really want to communicate a significant downgrade to passengers though?
They can just do what they always do - that is, call it an enhancement that we will like. Black is white, up is down...
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by radiowell
Anyone on non-ps transcon redeye yesterday or today confirm this? I tend to believe it, as it is stated on the UA website

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

However, the flight status for non-ps transcon redeye (21:01 departure or later) still says "Snack" rather than "Refreshments" for today and tomorrow (so does my redeye flight next week). Just want to make sure.
Any idea how this impacts FLL-EWR flights? The block times oscillate between just under 3 hours and, at times, 3 hours and 20 minutes.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Not a miscater but the standard round trip catering breakfast. Which isn't terrible but a little on the light side for the flight length.
But still a total violation of their published policy
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Where is the uproar over these meal changes?! I came to FT where historically the temperature nuts are served at would generate a 100+ page thread on the front page, and this giant downgrade is only buried in a generic menus thread?

Just flew SFO-DEN today on what was supposed to be a Lunch flight. I hadn't eaten all morning, and was counting on the usual nuts, salad, entree, & cookie to carry me through until dinner. Instead the only food to be had was a choice of a pathetic cold beef 'salad' or a fruit & cheese plate, both with a tiny chocolate square. No nuts, no side, no cookies. Nothing else whatsoever.

The flight ended up being swapped to a 77W, so such a paltry 'meal' service seemed ridiculously out of place in a Polaris suite.

Sure hope this is just temporary. Huge thumbs down.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've noticed the portions are indeed smaller. Also new cloth tray mats, and new napkins. Currently on an ORD to SLC flight, and had a buffalo Mac n cheese dinner. The mac n cheese was good, but a very small portion. The included chicken was sliced thin, and had no hint of any buffalo sauce. Same salad as previous with the vinegrete dressing. The truffle cheese cake was good, but just a little slice, you would get more as a sample at Costco than here.. No bread was served as well. You can see the cuts in everything, and it's getting to be too much anymore.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by bikenski
Where is the uproar over these meal changes?! I came to FT where historically the temperature nuts are served at would generate a 100+ page thread on the front page, and this giant downgrade is only buried in a generic menus thread?
{T}he original comment probably deserved it's own thread IMHO, now that articles are being written about this:

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...really-ba.html

As for the former - I think we're finally beaten down. Oscar has turned out just to be a silent Jeff. United Airtime has gotten about as many results as the Whitehouse.gov petitions.

United has been diluting its domestic First product for years - its aim it seems is to complement the Spirit-like Basic Economy in the back with Spirit's "big front seats" up front.

Just made my 2018 1K requal flight. Boy do I feel silly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 3, 2017 at 10:03 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
I should add that allegedly this is being done with the hope of getting feedback from FAs. So if you don't like it please please please let UA know that they should revert to previous standards.
Unfortunately I think the FA's like this. On my recent flight, they cut the ice cream sundae or sorbet, and when the purser mentioned this to the other FA, they were like "thank god".

I guess they hated having to serve the separate dessert after the main course.

They switched the ice cream sundae with a tiny piece of cheesecake on my meal. I typically get a ice cream sundae or sorbet after my main course.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Marcin83
The second option was a cheese plate with 3 different types of cheese. Looked miserable.
So we're down to the old BF cheese cart for a meal choice (w/o the cart, fancy cheese, grapes, and port)....
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by asphaltman
I've noticed the portions are indeed smaller. Also new cloth tray mats, and new napkins. Currently on an ORD to SLC flight, and had a buffalo Mac n cheese dinner. The mac n cheese was good, but a very small portion. The included chicken was sliced thin, and had no hint of any buffalo sauce. Same salad as previous with the vinegrete dressing. The truffle cheese cake was good, but just a little slice, you would get more as a sample at Costco than here.. No bread was served as well. You can see the cuts in everything, and it's getting to be too much anymore.
I'm not kidding you, I have finished some of UA's recent dishes in 4 bites and have had to ask for food from the back to prevent from going hungry. This is over the top even for them.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Ah, that certainly is conceivable. Wish it was still mileage-based. Can't fudge that.
Sure can. Just switch the mileage by a little bit if it's right at the edge. It's what BA did to double or triple the price of J awards from BOS-LHR. They made Boston a few more miles away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.