Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 27, 17, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by minnyfly View Post
Definitely not dollar store brands. Actually the opposite. They're often premium quality but lesser-known brands looking for exposure. DL's snacks have been this way for a while now too. Some are really good, and some aren't. But they're not cheap. I assume it's a win-win. Airlines get a good deal, and the company gets some much-needed product exposure.
Perhaps so, but first, the snack basket is very limited in choice, and second, the mere presence of a snack basket on a 2+hr flight in mainline aircraft in F when priority customers in Y are offered a better and more filling option, is very strange and just dumbs-down the F product to the point it lacks almost any positive value proposition to a Mileage Plus elite member. At least reserve some snack boxes for F customers on these flights, or cater a proper snack box with something a little more substantial.
Old Dec 27, 17, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely not dollar store brands. Actually the opposite. They're often premium quality but lesser-known brands looking for exposure. DL's snacks have been this way for a while now too. Some are really good, and some aren't. But they're not cheap. I assume it's a win-win. Airlines get a good deal, and the company gets some much-needed product exposure.
I've enjoyed the "off-market" offerings in the snack basket, and I always see a great deal of variety. That said, a cold sandwich and a cookie would also be nice. Or one of the fresh chicken wraps they sell to coach passengers.
Old Dec 27, 17, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
That's not quite what we were offered - candy, chips, almonds, that's it, and one pass only on a 2.5hr flight. It's a sad comparison to the old snack basket that included chips, popcorn, chocolates, fresh fruit, nuts, and meal bars, among other options, and seems very strange that I can get $8 (retail) worth of food as a 1K sitting in coach vs $1.25 worth of unhealthy crap sitting in First. What would make more sense is a prepackaged snack box with a cold sandwich, maybe some cut vegetables with dip, and a cookie? Oh wait, that's what Continental used to serve in coach for free
I agree with your observations and would only add that IME this is one instance when AA's catering actually beats out UA's. On my non-full-meal BOS-ORD flights, they've offered the plated snack plate, which is usually a hummus dip with some sliced meats. This year, however, I'd take UA's real meal service over AA's crAAp any day.
Old Dec 28, 17, 8:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Did UA update their meal service guidelines? I have a flight from ORD to DFW in F that leaves at 3:45pm. Up until now, it was listed as lunch, now, the reservation updated to Snack. Is this a recent update?
Old Dec 28, 17, 8:43 pm

Exactly, Sheila Gs Brownie Brittle was only in the UA Clubs for a few months, but it was really the launching pad for the company, which is now found in most supermarkets country-wide.
Old Dec 28, 17, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis View Post
Exactly, Sheila Gs Brownie Brittle was only in the UA Clubs for a few months, but it was really the launching pad for the company, which is now found in most supermarkets country-wide.
No offense, but I'm not really interested in paying a premium price for a premium cabin product so I can subsidize the launching of new brands - they can apply to go on "Shark Tank" for exposure, while I am more interested in United providing an appropriate and consistent level of inflight service for the premium cabin that establishes at least a minimal differential and value proposition between F and Y beyond just a bigger seat.
Old Dec 28, 17, 9:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Of greater importance is a lounge in TPA. I would even settle for dismantling the blue popup lounge in EWR after the new club opens and shipping it down. Anything is better than nothing!
+1... we can dream, can't we? Especially since AA/DL both have a lounge (granted they both have more flights, but still).

It would fit nicely in A3 which they no longer use it seems. Otherwise there's that supposedly empty space that was supposed to be a president's club back in the day.
Old Dec 29, 17, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Just took TPA-IAH on Xmas day in F. 4pm departure and no snack basket. Air Time was 2hrs. FA wonderful but was expecting the basket. Flight was a turn from IAH
Old Dec 31, 17, 8:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
A new low in F food service for me. UA 396, HNL-SFO was listed as offering a "Snack". A couple of years ago, this meant a hot sandwich and some cut fruit, and a chocolate. This year, there was nothing - no tray, no basket, not even a drink service, although there was a PDB. The flight had the seat-belt sign off for about half the trip. When I did ring the call button, the FA delivered a glass of water. That was it!
Old Dec 31, 17, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
A new low in F food service for me. UA 396, HNL-SFO was listed as offering a "Snack". A couple of years ago, this meant a hot sandwich and some cut fruit, and a chocolate. This year, there was nothing - no tray, no basket, not even a drink service, although there was a PDB. The flight had the seat-belt sign off for about half the trip. When I did ring the call button, the FA delivered a glass of water. That was it!
Was this a red-eye? Regardless, I hope you complained about the lack of a meal and lack of beverage service.
Old Dec 31, 17, 8:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Was this a red-eye? Regardless, I hope you complained about the lack of a meal and lack of beverage service.
10 pm departure from HNL. There's an even later flight that has "refreshments", but the 10 pm was listed as "Snack" in the meal notes. I'm still enroute, but will write in at the end of my trip.
Old Dec 31, 17, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
10 pm departure from HNL. There's an even later flight that has "refreshments", but the 10 pm was listed as "Snack" in the meal notes. I'm still enroute, but will write in at the end of my trip.
I flew UA396 back in August and they had the cheeseburger as the snack.
Old Dec 31, 17, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I flew UA396 back in August and they had the cheeseburger as the snack.
I guess all the cheeseburgers are consumed by DEN these days
Old Dec 31, 17, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
396 was cheeseburger in September also. If they are actually coding a later redeye as Refreshments... more meal cuts?
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
No offense, but I'm not really interested in paying a premium price for a premium cabin product so I can subsidize the launching of new brands - they can apply to go on "Shark Tank" for exposure, while I am more interested in United providing an appropriate and consistent level of inflight service for the premium cabin that establishes at least a minimal differential and value proposition between F and Y beyond just a bigger seat.
I'm MUCH more interested in flying in premium cabin and getting things like Buddha Belly chips instead of some Frito's simply because it's more known to middle-America.
diburning likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: