Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 23, 17, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
December 22 IAD-FLL Breakfast

Old Dec 26, 17, 10:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Photos of meal choices on FA phone

EWR-SLC
Dec 25, 737-700W
Breakfast

Saw this for the first time and thought this is a great way to show passengers what the choices actually look like. On this flight, it was the protein bowl and the egg & kale pastry. The FA had photos of both options on his phone and showed both pictures as he was asking for my choice. This should be a standard UA practice.
demkr and st530 like this.
Old Dec 26, 17, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Some sort of chicken wrap on UAX lunch flight CLT-IAH yesterday. Meh.
Old Dec 26, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Anyone know what the latest "snack" is for the flights in the weird 2:30-3:00 (block time) bucket that got downgraded? I know the breakfast choices all too well by now but wondering more about the lunch choices, specifically for FLL-CLE. I would think it's similar to FLL-IAH which someone posted about upthread.

Hoping for a burger (more of an actual lunch) versus the sad looking cheese plate but would be curios to see if anyone here has had the "snack" recently.
Old Dec 26, 17, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE View Post
Anyone know what the latest "snack" is for the flights in the weird 2:30-3:00 (block time) bucket that got downgraded? I know the breakfast choices all too well by now but wondering more about the lunch choices, specifically for FLL-CLE. I would think it's similar to FLL-IAH which someone posted about upthread.

Hoping for a burger (more of an actual lunch) versus the sad looking cheese plate but would be curios to see if anyone here has had the "snack" recently.
Just flew FLL-IAH at 255P the other day - drinks (when the FA wasn't on her phone) plus ONE pass of a severely limited snack basket with what appeared to be 3 or 4 selections with brands I've never heard of, but are likely sold in Dollar Stores. To think I could paid a coach fare and sat in the back and had a far more filling snack box and a couple cans of soda during the flight. I guess buying First nowadays is nothing more than a PQM play and a bigger seat #Sad . The website had the flight listed as "light snack" which I expected would be an actual snack plate of some kind - I thought a flight booked as "refreshments" was just drinks and the sad snack basket?

IAH-LAX (610P departure) was dinner with a choice of cold salmon salad or the buffalo mac and cheese with micro-salad and both came with a slice of turtle cheesecake. FA's brought warm dinner rolls after the tray was delivered.
Old Dec 26, 17, 12:33 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Just flew FLL-IAH at 255P the other day - drinks (when the FA wasn't on her phone) plus ONE pass of a severely limited snack basket with what appeared to be 3 or 4 selections with brands I've never heard of, but are likely sold in Dollar Stores. To think I could paid a coach fare and sat in the back and had a far more filling snack box and a couple cans of soda during the flight. I guess buying First nowadays is nothing more than a PQM play and a bigger seat #Sad . The website had the flight listed as "light snack" which I expected would be an actual snack plate of some kind - I thought a flight booked as "refreshments" was just drinks and the sad snack basket?

IAH-LAX (610P departure) was dinner with a choice of cold salmon salad or the buffalo mac and cheese with micro-salad and both came with a slice of turtle cheesecake. FA's brought warm dinner rolls after the tray was delivered.
It is almost as if UA is being pulled in two directions. I just flew transcontinental LAX-EWR in business for my vacation, and the on board service was just excellent- lots of cold and hot food and snacks, FA's checking on everyone, multiple drink services, etc. Meanwhile the bean counters are clearly downgrading shorter haul F to the point where it is nothing more than a big front seat, to use Spirit's terminology.
Old Dec 26, 17, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The website had the flight listed as "light snack" which I expected would be an actual snack plate of some kind - I thought a flight booked as "refreshments" was just drinks and the sad snack basket?
"Refreshments" and "Light snack and beverages" are interchangeable - same service. The booking engine tends to show "Refreshments" whereas flight status shows the "Light snack and beverages" label.
Old Dec 26, 17, 2:17 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE View Post

This is my frequent TPA>EWR trip I do 8-10 times a year. "Snack" means a choice (maybe) between a cheese plate (not all that bad, but only 2 crackers provided - bring some from a club, or home) OR, last trip, a cold noodle salad ((looked green) with some rolled roast beef ) looked disgusting).
I don't think it is asking a lot for one hot option, even a hamburger. Its amazing how far first class has fallen
Old Dec 26, 17, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
.... snack basket with what appeared to be 3 or 4 selections with brands I've never heard of, but are likely sold in Dollar Stores. ....
I have always thought many of the items offered were promotional deals -- chances to showcase new products offerings provided to UA at reduced pricing -- a win-win for the producer and UA .... and in my opinion, many have been interesting and pretty decent and a few need to go back for revaluation. A less some variety which folks seem to complain about when the same items are repetitively offered.
As far as the Dollar Store, I'm not a regular patron, the grandkids like it, but I have not seen the UA snack basket items there,....but you may be more of a Dollar Store aficionado.
Old Dec 27, 17, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Here's what I grabbed on my most recent experience with the snack basket. This was BOS to ORD (UA 1598) on 20 December. Disappointing because this 14:00 departure is one of the few flights that doesn't receive a full meal and at 2 hrs 40 mins, it's on the longer side. Still, service was great and multiple passes were made through the cabin.

Old Dec 27, 17, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
EWR-SLC
Dec 25, 737-700W
Breakfast

Saw this for the first time and thought this is a great way to show passengers what the choices actually look like. On this flight, it was the protein bowl and the egg & kale pastry. The FA had photos of both options on his phone and showed both pictures as he was asking for my choice. This should be a standard UA practice.
That's a great idea!

Here's the full plate, from BOS to ORD yesterday on UA 775z;

Old Dec 27, 17, 9:06 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold

Thanks! Sounds like you fell into that trap of the "light snacks". I too learned my lesson with that awhile back when they switched IAD-TPA from meals to snack basket. I took "light snacks and beverages" to include some sort of sandwich (like AA serves DCA-TPA) but was disappointed to find out my meal would be popcorn and a banana.

Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
This is my frequent TPA>EWR trip I do 8-10 times a year. "Snack" means a choice (maybe) between a cheese plate (not all that bad, but only 2 crackers provided - bring some from a club, or home) OR, last trip, a cold noodle salad ((looked green) with some rolled roast beef ) looked disgusting).
I don't think it is asking a lot for one hot option, even a hamburger. Its amazing how far first class has fallen
Thanks as well. I also fly TPA/EWR monthly but it's always a breakfast flight, which still has the hot option as I'm sure you know but recently lost the breads and has been serving the same kale pastry for 4 months now. I agree asking for a burger or something more substantial on these flights is not over the top. You're often on the plane over 3 hours when accounting for boarding time and these flights are all over traditional meal times.

Keep complaining to UA in your surveys and/or customer care!
Old Dec 27, 17, 9:23 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
Of greater importance is a lounge in TPA. I would even settle for dismantling the blue popup lounge in EWR after the new club opens and shipping it down. Anything is better than nothing!
Old Dec 27, 17, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 View Post
Here's what I grabbed on my most recent experience with the snack basket. This was BOS to ORD (UA 1598) on 20 December. Disappointing because this 14:00 departure is one of the few flights that doesn't receive a full meal and at 2 hrs 40 mins, it's on the longer side. Still, service was great and multiple passes were made through the cabin.
That's not quite what we were offered - candy, chips, almonds, that's it, and one pass only on a 2.5hr flight. It's a sad comparison to the old snack basket that included chips, popcorn, chocolates, fresh fruit, nuts, and meal bars, among other options, and seems very strange that I can get $8 (retail) worth of food as a 1K sitting in coach vs $1.25 worth of unhealthy crap sitting in First. What would make more sense is a prepackaged snack box with a cold sandwich, maybe some cut vegetables with dip, and a cookie? Oh wait, that's what Continental used to serve in coach for free
Old Dec 27, 17, 2:31 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Just flew FLL-IAH at 255P the other day - drinks (when the FA wasn't on her phone) plus ONE pass of a severely limited snack basket with what appeared to be 3 or 4 selections with brands I've never heard of, but are likely sold in Dollar Stores.
Definitely not dollar store brands. Actually the opposite. They're often premium quality but lesser-known brands looking for exposure. DL's snacks have been this way for a while now too. Some are really good, and some aren't. But they're not cheap. I assume it's a win-win. Airlines get a good deal, and the company gets some much-needed product exposure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: