Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by demkr
i do think the nuts with the snack is new though? The "entree" itself doesn't look too appetizing
I haven never had a daytime Snack, so not sure. The redeye (p.s./tcon/Hawaii) Snack did not include nuts.

Originally Posted by transportprof
In addition to dinner choice going down to one hot and one cold dish, the hot towel disappeared from the service. Even Jeff kept the hot towels going through all the "enhancements". I hope it was a one-off omission, and will report back next after a couple more flights in these "select" markets.
There was a hot towel on my YVR-SFO. I'm pretty sure this is just crew variance, as I've never had a consistent hot towel experience on UA.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by rch4u
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

Over 5 hours, 20 minutes between 5 AM and 8 PM: Multi-course meals with two entree choices
Ugh.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
UA314 10/3/17
LAX-DEN
Lunch

Service on 777-200 with lie-flat beds. Flight time 1 hour 45 minutes.

Open bar PDB - ordered gin and tonic and it was delivered promptly during boarding. Purser and flight attendants proactive.

Noted a bit of a delay after takeoff for order taking for meals and drinks. Meal order was taken first, purser jumped around full cabln, then provided hot towels, then took drink order.

Warm nuts in ramekins delivered with drinks. Meal followed in about 15 minutes or so, served individually from galley.

Choices were Tandori chicken or cold Asian chicken salad. I ordered the chicken salad and my seatmate ordered the Tandori chicken.

He appeared to eat all of his hot entree and part of the dessert. I didn't hear any complaints from him, an older gentleman.

My meal came with a generous salad with spinach, arugula, bell pepper strips and soba noodles. Six slices of cold chicken on the side with a lettuce garnish. Roll was small, brown crust white roll, perhaps a pretzel roll, and was warm. A slice of lemon cheesecake served on the same tray served as dessert.

I was heartened to see and use the gray thick napkin with the buttonhole

Water was offered with lunch and generous offers of drink refills in addition.

The chicken was tender and flavorful and the greens fresh. I had a few of the soba noodles and they were good but I wasn't interested in noodles so left the rest. I ate about half of the cheesecake. It had good texture and lemonly flavor and was cold but not hard to slice with a fork.

Overall a positive experience on a pretty short meal flight. I was just starting to settle in and we landed. Bummer.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS
I got the select service on a SFO-YVR flight last month. In addition to dinner choice going down to one hot and one cold dish, the hot towel disappeared from the service. Even Jeff kept the hot towels going through all the "enhancements". I hope it was a one-off omission, and will report back next after a couple more flights in these "select" markets.
YYC-DEN at dinner time is now down to a no choice snack plate. But App and reservation list lunch which is odd for a 4pm or later departure
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: United 1K
Pathetic breakfast ORD-SAN

I was on UA 1590 - at four hours and crossing 2 meal times and we got the wimpiest breakfast I’ve ever been served.
Attached Images  

Last edited by uber1K_Flyer; Oct 4, 2017 at 9:26 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:07 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
I was on UA 1590 - at four hours and crossing 2 meal times and we got the windiest breakfast I’ve ever been served.
Lol I was served that on an IAH-EWR flight a few weeks ago. Ate a bite or 2 of cucumber but the rest looked pretty gross so just sent it back. Miss the days of an egg option or a sweet option.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
That's breakfast now for midcons from midwest to California? Seriously? Is this the normal new breakfast? I thought breakfast flights above 3 hours weren't affected by the changes.

If this is the new normal, I'm done with United. No one should be paying for first class anymore.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I had a hot ham & egg (&cheese?) breakfast sandwich Saturday morning ORD-IAH. Will try & post a picture later when at a friendlier place.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-SNA
Dinner

6 hour flight. Was in last (3rd) row of 73G, so don't know what other option was. Only offered the chicken. PDB+nuts in ramkin+main dish+sundae. No hot towel.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I had a hot ham & egg (&cheese?) breakfast sandwich Saturday morning ORD-IAH. Will try & post a picture later when at a friendlier place.
That seems to be a staple with the recent downgrades...have seen it numerous times this month.

The second life of the "Jeff McMuffin" with fancier bread.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
That ORD-SAN breakfast is outrageous, as is that EWR-SNA transcon dinner on one tray with the casserole dish. People - please write in to express your displeasure on these serious cuts!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I flew YVR-SFO today during the lunch time "snack" window. The meal was a cold plate - soba noodles, roast beef and some salad vegetables. Nuts were served with the meal. There was a small chocolate bar for dessert, and hot towels were given out before the meal. No bread roll, either. It was ok, but a definite "enhancement".
demkr likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I flew YVR-SFO today during the lunch time "snack" window. The meal was a cold plate - soba noodles, roast beef and some salad vegetables. Nuts were served with the meal. There was a small chocolate bar for dessert, and hot towels were given out before the meal. No bread roll, either. It was ok, but a definite "enhancement".
I am flying in the opposite direction on the 10:40 am departure out of SFO next month. Is that time the "lunch" snack or the "breakfast" snack? Return flight is the 7 pm which should be dinner.

If the snack does now come with nuts, I suppose this isn't so bad.

I still can't get over that ORD-SAN 'breakfast' from a few posts up. Hopefully it was a catering error.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
I was on UA 1590 - at four hours and crossing 2 meal times and we got the wimpiest breakfast I’ve ever been served.
OMG that is outrageous! And egg, a piece of lettuce, and fish???? Hideous.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by demkr
I still can't get over that ORD-SAN 'breakfast' from a few posts up. Hopefully it was a catering error.
Unfortunately I don't think its a catering area, but rather a complete re-shift of what market classifications are. Using SAN as an example this is what I found out:

Previous classifications
SANDEN Short/Medium Haul
SANORD/IAH Mid-Con
SANEWR/IAD Trans-con

New classifications
SANDEN Short/Medium Haul Modified
SANORD/IAH Short/Medium
SANEWR/IAD Mid-con

So IAD/EWR to West Coast and LAX/SFO to the East Coast, with the exception of to/from Hawaii or BOS/EWR-LAX/SFO, basically get moved to the mid-con category. And the matrix is so convoluted at this point I can't make heads or tails of it to even really understand the logic.

Bottom line......I'm not convinced this is a "test" to solicit customer feedback. And while I expect that there would be modifications to save a few costs here or there, this is a terribly short sighted decision that I hope they roll back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.