Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by physioprof
What's your evidence that this is new policy for non-PS transcon flights?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

Over 5 hours, 20 minutes between 5 AM and 8 PM: Multi-course meals with two entree choices
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rch4u
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

Over 5 hours, 20 minutes between 5 AM and 8 PM: Multi-course meals with two entree choices
This did just change ... I am leaving for OGG on Thursday with by better half and I had stated just on Saturday that it was still three entree choices.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Is it true? Is it really true?

is the French toast soufflé really gone?

Choice on EWR-SFO this morning (no menu at my seat BTW ...) was described as “eggs or cereal?” Chose cereal - don’t like eggs.

Anyone have a Soufflé sighting lately? If it’s really gone, I’ll need a moment of silence.
It was available on my EWR-SFO flight yesterday 10/1
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by demkr
They must be making more cuts again, SFO-DEN flight in December was just changed from "Breakfast" to "Snack" -- despite 5 am departure time and 2hr34min duration.

I guess they're now rounding down, because according to this the 2hr31min+ duration = full meal with two entree choices. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

Unless they're planning to make further changes and they'll update this when they do? Really disappointing.

Return flights ex-DEN (blocked at 2hr45min) also show "Snack" unless between 4-8pm.
I sent an email to GS in mid Sept after our 'lunch flight' on JAC-ORD (>3 hr schedule time) was 2 meager cold items (tiny cheese plate or cold chicken/corn salad - both pathetic). Answer beyond boilerplate apology was "not aware of any meal changes".

Clearly a disconnect between Chicago and reality.

Keep emailing!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 887: YVR to SFO
September 28, 2017
Boeing 737-800, Snack

I'm not a regular on this route, but I'm pretty sure I got caught up in the meal downgrades here. Suffice to say, I think "Snack" as anything other than a redeye catering option is new. Today's choices were the chicken salad or nothing. I went with the chicken salad:

Name:  food.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  183.0 KB

It was pretty disappointing, or at least it would have been in most circumstances. Ironically it worked out for me as I had just had an excellent arrival service on LH a couple of hours ago, so I wasn't overly hungry. This and lounge snacks tided me over for the rest of the day.

Had I actually been doing this flight O&D however, this is a pretty pitiful excuse for being served during lunch time. At least it's good beer season.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Yes there are definitely new changes that have just appeared on UA.com. Now only 2 options for all routes except premium trans-con and the long-haul Hawaii flights. In addition cutting breakfast and lunch to SNACK for anything less than 3 hours.

Weirdly, the UAX flights will serve breakfast/lunch greater than 2h 31min, while mainline only snack until 3 hours.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by findark
UA 887: YVR to SFO
September 28, 2017
Boeing 737-800, Snack

was pretty disappointing, or at least it would have been in most circumstances. Ironically it worked out for me as I had just had an excellent arrival service on LH a couple of hours ago, so I wasn't overly hungry. This and lounge snacks tided me over for the rest of the day.

Had I actually been doing this flight O&D however, this is a pretty pitiful excuse for being served during lunch time. At least it's good beer season.

i do think the nuts with the snack is new though? The "entree" itself doesn't look too appetizing
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
What's your evidence that this is new policy for non-PS transcon flights?
Passed along from someone in the know that's part of inflight for one thing confirmed by the changes posted on united.com
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
Yes there are definitely new changes that have just appeared on UA.com. Now only 2 options for all routes except premium trans-con and the long-haul Hawaii flights. In addition cutting breakfast and lunch to SNACK for anything less than 3 hours.

Weirdly, the UAX flights will serve breakfast/lunch greater than 2h 31min, while mainline only snack until 3 hours.
Jeff is back!!!
It really sucks. For the past year UA domestic food was actually tolerable.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Jeff is back!!!
It really sucks. For the past year UA domestic food was actually tolerable.
It seems incredibly odd that UA would be backtracking on catering given that the overall focus has been on improving the product and building customer satisfaction. While these adjustments are being touted internally as "testing" through the year as a way of reflecting the tastes of customers and soliciting feedback, I'm not so convinced that its the case.

I'm purely speculating at this point, but another thing I noticed is the previous director of Catering Ops is gone and most of the actual enhancements/improvements that happened in the past year were when he was in charge so this can very well signal that there is another person with a completely different agenda....that reeks of pmCO Jeff style.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
It's pretty amazing that they made all of these improvements only to make things worse than they were before.

In this post from last month, United told the Points Guy that “We are testing adjustments to meal service in select premium cabin domestic and Canadian flights. This is a test on select flights only.”

I'm starting to get the feeling this isn't only "select" flights, and it's not a "test." https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/uni...als-reduction/
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
It's pretty amazing that they made all of these improvements only to make things worse than they were before.

In this post from last month, United told the Points Guy that “We are testing adjustments to meal service in select premium cabin domestic and Canadian flights. This is a test on select flights only.”

I'm starting to get the feeling this isn't only "select" flights, and it's not a "test." https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/uni...als-reduction/
I got the select service on a SFO-YVR flight last month. In addition to dinner choice going down to one hot and one cold dish, the hot towel disappeared from the service. Even Jeff kept the hot towels going through all the "enhancements". I hope it was a one-off omission, and will report back next after a couple more flights in these "select" markets.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
I got the select service on a SFO-YVR flight last month. In addition to dinner choice going down to one hot and one cold dish, the hot towel disappeared from the service. Even Jeff kept the hot towels going through all the "enhancements". I hope it was a one-off omission, and will report back next after a couple more flights in these "select" markets.
The towels were gone on my flight to DFW this week, and I notice they and the reference to nuts are gone from the website in addition to the service changes by flight length referenced above.

This seems like a Kirby-era directive.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:16 pm

No towels on PS flight last week
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
We were offered a choice of sweet roll or scone with breakfast on my morning flight from LGA to Denver today. I had been under the impression that bread had been discontinued but apparently not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.