Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 6, 17, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnden View Post
I was serious about hearing the FA perspective. It seems their needs are absent from the debate. Maybe Polaris cutbacks and/or lower levels of service are because of fatigue or reduced staffing. The food service cutbacks may be a solution to overworked FA crews. I've definitely heard enough complaints from row 1 to suspect something is wrong.
FA's have complained for years about working conditions, it's simple if it's that bad, then quite. Now regarding domestic food service decline, I don't think there is a correlation between FA fatigue and cutting back on the amount of food that is served. Post merger the CO FA's would disappear in the galley after food service while the UA FA's worked the cabin with refills. On flights like SFO-ORD or LAX-ORD the flight is long enough to where the FA can have a nice pace for the service. On shorter flights that a meal service happens, again, pace yourself so you aren't exhausted before the flight ends.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Sep 6, 17, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA1070
SFO-EWR (diverted to BUF)

Boeing 757-200
Meal: Lunch

Chose the fish as main, but they only had 6 on board, and apparently I was outranked by all the GS and had to settle with the beef.
Attached Images     
Old Sep 6, 17, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
UA 1523 EWR-SJU 0825-1220 767-400

Full PDB

Choice of eggs with beans and salsa or cheese blintzes. Biscuits or croissants were offered. Interestingly, the F/A came around with an iPad with pictures of the meals on it to show each passenger. I'd never seen that before.
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Going TO SJU?!!!!
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:55 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Going TO SJU?!!!!
Lol my thoughts as well, lets hope this wasn't this week!
Old Sep 6, 17, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Interestingly, the F/A came around with an iPad with pictures of the meals on it to show each passenger. I'd never seen that before.
As someone with allergies, that honestly sounds great. Without a menu, it can be really hard to tell whether I can eat a dish or not.
Old Sep 7, 17, 12:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, Starbucks Gold
SLC-ORD
09/05.
Lunch
B739

3h07m block time

PDB offered, warm nuts provided at T+30m.

One hot, one cold option continues: Choice of Chicken Burrito or Asian Noodle Salad with "Ginger Beef".

I opted for the noodle salad. Fairly tasty, though a bit of a bad name/description from the FA- The beef itself was plain and unseasoned, but the dressing was ginger. The noodles weren't overcooked or soggy, and the veggies on top were crisp and fresh. FA was very proactive about filling my drink during and after the meal. Service definitely on point today.

The only real low point: the "bread" replaced by these crackers... I can't believe I'm jealous of the "garlic bread" a few posts above.
​​​​​​
Old Sep 7, 17, 2:06 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Don't those crackers come in those snack boxes they sell in the back?
Old Sep 7, 17, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Interestingly, the F/A came around with an iPad with pictures of the meals on it to show each passenger. I'd never seen that before.
Sounds like a proactive FA. Sure it might actually require a little effort, but UA has a listing on their internal website of meal pictures/descriptions. As domestic F does not have menus to pass out, rather than gripe about the lack of menus/too many choices/meal prioritization (see comments here http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ect-yesterday/), all a FA would have to do is go on the company website and download the menus. Sure they aren't the same for all routes/directions/months, but it would be seemingly easy enough to have a reference point.
Old Sep 7, 17, 10:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wooglin View Post
SLC-ORD
09/05.
Lunch
B739

3h07m block time

PDB offered, warm nuts provided at T+30m.

One hot, one cold option continues: Choice of Chicken Burrito or Asian Noodle Salad with "Ginger Beef".

I opted for the noodle salad. Fairly tasty, though a bit of a bad name/description from the FA- The beef itself was plain and unseasoned, but the dressing was ginger. The noodles weren't overcooked or soggy, and the veggies on top were crisp and fresh. ...

​​​​​​
That's pretty much the same meal that they started serving on UX flights (with no ovens) once they brought meals to the regional jets with F cabins a couple of years back. So now that mainline is serving UX meals, I wonder what the catering floor on regional jets will sink to?
Old Sep 7, 17, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
That's pretty much the same meal that they started serving on UX flights (with no ovens) once they brought meals to the regional jets with F cabins a couple of years back. So now that mainline is serving UX meals, I wonder what the catering floor on regional jets will sink to?
Eating off the floor?

Yum!

David
Old Sep 8, 17, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
This week DEN-CLE lunch choice of the Asian Soba Noodle Chicken Salad or the Tandoori Chicken. Personally, I really like this salad at lunch time and the chunks of chicken were sufficient when cut up to get a bit in just about every bite.

This week ORD-DEN dinner was a choice of ravioli or Beef Bourguignon and I chose the latter. It was surprisingly good, excellent sauce.

I enjoyed both desserts too. Key Lime cheesecake at lunch and the turtle cheesecake at dinner.
Old Sep 8, 17, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
This week ORD-DEN dinner was a choice of ravioli or Beef Bourguignon and I chose the latter. It was surprisingly good, excellent sauce.
Was that what you described it as or the FA? The catering sheets actually list this as : Beef provencal, roasted root vegetables and potatoes. Certainly never tasted like Beef Bourguignon to me as it tended to have a rather sweet (almost too sweet) flavor.
Old Sep 8, 17, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post
Was that what you described it as or the FA? The catering sheets actually list this as : Beef provencal, roasted root vegetables and potatoes. Certainly never tasted like Beef Bourguignon to me as it tended to have a rather sweet (almost too sweet) flavor.

That was how it was explained by the FA. Agree that the sauce was a bit sweet and I cannot remember the last time I had provençal or bourguignon so I wouldn't have known the difference.
Old Sep 8, 17, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
[QUOTE=SFO 1K;28791986]This week DEN-CLE lunch choice of the Asian Soba Noodle Chicken Salad or the Tandoori Chicken. Personally, I really like this salad at lunch time and the chunks of chicken were sufficient when cut up to get a bit in just about every bite.

Are they still doing the warm nuts on both of those flights? There were some other posts that on the 3ish hour flights those have been eliminated.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: