Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
UA 282
SMF - ORD
Departure: 1:35pm
Time: 4:05 (blocked time)

Options were described as: Tandoori Chicken or Salad with Chicken on the Side. Then FA happened to mention that it was a soba noodle chicken salad (would've been helpful to include that in the initial description). Ended up going with that and Buffalo Trace. Chicken was good (though tiny portion of chicken), salad was fine though worse than the old Asian Noodle salad that you could BoB (loved that thing). Desert was meh (would rather have had a cookie - had one bit and left the rest).

Thing that annoyed me the most is they gave their usual disgusting, sugar filled salad dressing with the chicken salad. Would it kill them to get some healthier salads or offer soy sauce instead of sugary fake sesame-ginger dressing with an Asian Noodle salad?

Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Got the last upgrade into F on a 3-class 772 hop between ORD and EWR a little over a week back...nice way to finish up vacation. I forget the food choices, but I went with salmon and quinoa - surprisingly good, and I especially liked the quinoa. I did not indulge in the cake as I was stuffed from eating in the Polaris lounge previously.

Your photo does not work – Photobucket has changed how it works. I'd recommend using FlyerTalk upload instead, or Imgur.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:06 am

Wow. It's really sad and disgusting to see this happen. I believe (as of now) AA is the top with meals, offering ice-cream for all midcon dinners and sundaes on all transcon lunches/dinners. AA is also now the only one offering warm nuts on all flights. DL doesn't, and UA now seemingly doesn't. I hope AA doesn't downgrade too.

I wonder if this is a byproduct of Kirby? When Kirby was at US then at AA, a lot of meal downgrades happened, including cuts of sundaes on most transcons and smaller, cheaper meals on all flights. Now that Kirby works at UA, I wonder if this is his footprint?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
It was AA‘s bistro bag ! They did that shortly after 9/11/2001 after they cut meal service in Y before buy on board. At the gate right before you board the plane, there was a huge cooler with the bags, you grab one or even two before you board the plane.
Delta did the meal bags at the gate in the late 90s.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369

I wonder if this is a byproduct of Kirby? When Kirby was at US then at AA, a lot of meal downgrades happened, including cuts of sundaes on most transcons and smaller, cheaper meals on all flights. Now that Kirby works at UA, I wonder if this is his footprint?
Boot mark is more like it.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Delta did the meal bags at the gate in the late 90s.
I remember the bag on Delta in summer 2001 just before 9/11. I believe they called it "Sky Deli".
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:23 am

UA 2117 LAX-EWR September 2017

September 2017
United Airlines Business Class
Premium Transcontinental Boston/New York/San Francisco/Los Angeles

(Menu from UA 2117 LAX-EWR)
Start
Chilled Appetizer
Smoked duck, lemon-dill potato salad

Salad
Arugula, watermelon, feta
Served with dressing

Main
Seared flat iron steak
Chimichurri, mashed sweet potatoes, white beans with garlic and thyme

Seared Chicken Breast
Bordelaise, cauliflower-leek mash, baby carrot

Grilled Salmon
Coconut red curry, ramen noodles, baby bok choy

Finish
Signature sundae served with a choice of toppings
A selection of sweet treats and fresh fruit
Cheese and red seedless grapes

Pre-Arrival
A selection of tasty snacks and freshly prepared wraps and sandwiches

Drink Special
Crafthouse Cocktails Moscow Mule with a lime and codialed ginger skewer

Gerry McLoughlin
Executive Chef, United Airlines

09/17
203C002-2 Premium Transcon (LD03-R03C)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carfield
September 2017
United Airlines Business Class
Premium Transcontinental Boston/New York/San Francisco/Los Angeles

Drink Special
Crafthouse Cocktails Moscow Mule with a lime and codialed ginger skewer
What is codialed ginger?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
What is codialed ginger?
I think the OP meant candied ginger.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Duke787
UA 282
SMF - ORD
Departure: 1:35pm
Time: 4:05 (blocked time)

Options were described as: Tandoori Chicken or Salad with Chicken on the Side. Then FA happened to mention that it was a soba noodle chicken salad (would've been helpful to include that in the initial description). Ended up going with that and Buffalo Trace. Chicken was good (though tiny portion of chicken), salad was fine though worse than the old Asian Noodle salad that you could BoB (loved that thing). Desert was meh (would rather have had a cookie - had one bit and left the rest).

Thing that annoyed me the most is they gave their usual disgusting, sugar filled salad dressing with the chicken salad. Would it kill them to get some healthier salads or offer soy sauce instead of sugary fake sesame-ginger dressing with an Asian Noodle salad?

That's more than twice the chicken my tandoori had last night.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Anything beyond showing up and reading a magazine is too much.
I was serious about hearing the FA perspective. It seems their needs are absent from the debate. Maybe Polaris cutbacks and/or lower levels of service are because of fatigue or reduced staffing. The food service cutbacks may be a solution to overworked FA crews. I've definitely heard enough complaints from row 1 to suspect something is wrong.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
That's more than twice the chicken my tandoori had last night.
On my LAS-ORD last night, it looked like they had to split the salad meal to make two. Half the ingredients normally found in the salad.

Pathetic.

But don't go postal on the Asian ginger sesame dressing. Absolutely my favorite!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
On my LAS-ORD last night, it looked like they had to split the salad meal to make two. Half the ingredients normally found in the salad.

Pathetic.

But don't go postal on the Asian ginger sesame dressing. Absolutely my favorite!
same. A heck of a lot better than the "dressing" being served on Polaris
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wow. It's really sad and disgusting to see this happen. I believe (as of now) AA is the top with meals, offering ice-cream for all midcon dinners and sundaes on all transcon lunches/dinners. AA is also now the only one offering warm nuts on all flights. DL doesn't, and UA now seemingly doesn't. I hope AA doesn't downgrade too.

You certainly have a keen interest in ice cream sundaes! I've never seen anyone post so frequently (and in so many different forums) about a dessert.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by CalebMCO
You certainly have a keen interest in ice cream sundaes! I've never seen anyone post so frequently (and in so many different forums) about a dessert.
Haha, can't help it. I love me my ice cream! for some reason, ice cream/sundaes on planes are a special treat, even better than on the ground... IMHO!
RandomBaritone and CalebMCO like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.