Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u
Transcon redeyes also lost the plated snack service - now just the snack basket. Lame!
Anyone on non-ps transcon redeye yesterday or today confirm this? I tend to believe it, as it is stated on the UA website

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

However, the flight status for non-ps transcon redeye (21:01 departure or later) still says "Snack" rather than "Refreshments" for today and tomorrow (so does my redeye flight next week). Just want to make sure.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Seriously, how much money are these changes really going to save them? What happened to all these big changes under Oscar that were designed to *improve* the product?

Unless it's a cheap P fare, I see no value in buying F on a domestic flight now - I thought the plan was to improve the product so more people would buy it? Not dumb it down until we're back to 80% CPU and then some idiot beancounter decides to yank out half the F seats

I guess ideally I could toss some UC clam chowder in a thermos, grab a few cookies and reject the inflight service and call it even. Why do they even bother? Why not just cancel inflight service altogether and let the crew focus on their People magazines and charge a $5 cleaning fee to every passenger who brings on their own food and drinks
Agree. Feels like two steps forward, then three backwards. Continuously and without fail.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Well it was too good to be true. Thought UA had turned the corner with improved catering. Friend in the know sent me these "changes you'll like" starting 01SEP, oh well today, that were communicated to inflight. Literally reads very similar to what pmCO offered in the 2006 timeframe.
If that does end up being true, it's a little disappointing. Depends on how good the cold meal options are. Wouldn't surprise me if more people were wanting more cold options either.

All in all not as big of a change as you make it sound if everything else stays equal. What really matters is quantity, quality, and meal windows.

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Exactly...I wish they would actually follow the published standards that are on ua.com and actually list all carve outs. For years I used to whine about TPA/MCO-IAD as they used to receive the "snack" plate which was better than nothing... then a few years ago they shortened the block times on both flights and went to snack basket only. Pretty sure the distance didn't get any shorter and there was never a change in the guidelines.
TPA/MCO-IAD block times haven't materially changed since at least 2010, and they actually are longer now than 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by zxsuxr
9/1 BNA-SFO 9am departure
The only option was granola cereal served with yogurt, warm croissant, banana and some dried fruit that belongs in oatmeal. Pretty disappointing for a 4.5 hr flight.
Sounds like miscatering.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Pathetic. United just fell right back to 3rd place behind AA and DL in F meal service. For a while, IMO, arguments could be made about DL and UA as 1/1a for overall domestic catering, in my book. No more.
Originally Posted by demkr
Sorry but AA and DL catering are now officially above UA's, particularly when it comes to mid-con domestic. especially in terms of portion size.
It's the same story on every legacy forum. Certain people will say that the other two airlines have better food. Of course they can't all be true.

Let's mix it up. Do either of you have any objective measure to say DL is now ahead of UA? Objectively I can't find one. And subjectively DL is well behind in my experiences. DL's portions have also become comically small now too. I can't imagine the amount of complaints if what's posted in the DL food thread was served on UA.

Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes, but DL has a much better product overall. For instance, most of the JFK-SEA flights get flat beds, pillows, and Westin blankets plus excellent IFE at each seat.
You're comparing apples to oranges with that route. If flat-beds are important, UA has the most domestic flat-bed flights by far.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Not my cinnamon rolls! Sneaky ua making this change on a friday. I think the roll and ice cream will be complained about the most.

So does this mean no nuts, bread or cookie on lunch flights over 230?

Last edited by Halo117; Sep 2, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by minnyfly
TPA/MCO-IAD block times haven't materially changed since at least 2010, and they actually are longer now than 10 years ago.
My bad - it wasn't the block time they changed, it was when they switched from mileage-based catering to the block times a few years ago is when we lost the snack plates. I believe TPA-IAD was 810 miles and had traditionally always received something. It wasn't until they went to block times that it went to a snack basket only. Regardless, I miss having some sort of substantial food on the route.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Basically they are saying "sit in coach (as a 1K) and eat better".
Coach may not have much BOB left by the time all the first class PAX ask for that over the F meal options (I do it occasionally when the options aren't good; sounds like that's about to increase).
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Well it was too good to be true. Thought UA had turned the corner with improved catering. Friend in the know sent me these "changes you'll like" starting 01SEP, oh well today, that were communicated to inflight. Literally reads very similar to what pmCO offered in the 2006 timeframe.

Flights 2:30-2:59 hrs:
Breakfast: Remove breakfast breads only
Lunch: Two cold meal options and a chocolate truffle (vs one hot and one cold option, mixed nuts/bread//side)
Dinner: One hot meal/one cold meal option (vs two hot options); offers mixed nuts/bread/salad/dessert

Flights 3:00-3:59
Breakfast/Lunch: No change
Dinner: One hot meal/one cold meal option (vs two hot options); offers mixed nuts/bread/salad/dessert

Flights 4:00-5:24 (exc. transcons)
Breakfast, lunch and dinner have cold and hot meal options (vs two hot-meals)
Pre-plated dessert replaces ice cream/sorbet on lunch/dinner flights

Sooo...using my CA centric brain, I would guess that puts catering (exc transcons) into 3 tiers where DEN-west Coast falls into tier 1, ORD/IAH-west coast falls into tier 2, and IAD/EWR-west coast falls into tier 3 based on flight times. Then again DEN might be under 2:30, but used a rough estimate. All in all seems odd that they would be doing this
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I should add that allegedly this is being done with the hope of getting feedback from FAs. So if you don't like it please please please let UA know that they should revert to previous standards.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Sounds like either a miss-cater or it was double catered from the previous flight, either way, a horrible way to spend 4.5 hrs. One would assume if you are doing a 4+ hour flight you make sure the catering is up to snuff.
Not a miscater but the standard round trip catering breakfast. Which isn't terrible but a little on the light side for the flight length.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
On Sept. 1st I was one of the first victims of the "improved" menu. This is the "lunch" I was offered on ORD-IAH flight at 12.40. Literally 3 cold, small chicken slices, a leaf of lettuce and "salad". Nothing else. No dessert, no cookie, no nuts. Crappy, crappy, crappy

For comparison they are my Iberia, Lot Polish Airlines and Lufthansa real lunch menus on flights of similar duration:

Last edited by Marcin83; Sep 3, 2017 at 10:51 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Marcin83
On Sept. 1st I was one of the first victims of the "improved" menu. This is the "lunch" I was offered on ORD-IAH flight at 12.40. Literally 3 small chicken slices a leaf of lettuce and "salad". Nothing else. No dessert, no cookie, no nuts. Crappy, crappy, crappy

My condolences!
I wonder whether 1Ks will be allowed to substitute the coach buy-on-board offerings? Most of these would be preferable to what you have depicted.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by transportprof
My condolences!
I wonder whether 1Ks will be allowed to substitute the coach buy-on-board offerings? Most of these would be preferable to what you have depicted.
Maybe that's what UA eventually wants to do - have everyone in domestic non-p.s. First order from the BoB menu - it would measurably simplify catering. Someone seated in First shouldn't have to be 1K to ask for something from the back.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wait... nuts and cookies were removed too? Can someone please clarify?

why haven't these changes been communicated to customers?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by demkr
Wait... nuts and cookies were removed too? Can someone please clarify?

why haven't these changes been communicated to customers?
There were no nuts and no cookies. And the "dessert" was a tiny (really tiny) chocolate bar.

OK, sorry, UA, I forgot to mention the salad dressing which was ... a piece of lemon xD
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Marcin83
There were no nuts and no cookies. And the "dessert" was a tiny (really tiny) chocolate bar.

was there another choice for lunch? I do know that some flights to IAH were 3-class because of the temporary upgauging post-Harvey , but surprised there's no nuts. Major downgrade if this is the case. UA flights have had mixed nuts on all lunch/dinner flights for a decade or more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.