Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Definitely not just a display bug as the filed code (on EF as well) changes from Breakfast/Lunch to Snack as of 01-Sep. Will be interesting indeed.
Ugh, that makes me think a legit downgrade is coming. Unless they consider to be the downgrade some of the nasty breakfasts that have been posted recently. To me, a sad looking breakfast sandwich vs an omelette/quiche/french toast/oatmeal is already a downgrade.

I have a hunch my flight on 9/1 is going to consist of a fruit plate and pastry since we haven't seen any of the codes change... in which case I will not be happy. This would match the MCO-IAH services which get a "snack" all day until 4pm.

If this ends up materializing, then it's definitely an unannounced change as TPA-EWR/ORD are blocked at almost 3 hours.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is where AA shines, they have the small bite snacks.
Agreed. I do like the small bites as it definitely provides something more filling than a bag of chips and banana.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Agreed. I do like the small bites as it definitely provides something more filling than a bag of chips and banana.
Well, I was surprised and quite disappointed to just be offered the snack tray with bananas, chip and cookies on my 2:05pm flight from Denver to Los Angeles yesterday. It was a 787 aircraft with 48 Business seats so they certainly save money doing that. But they also certainly negate the premium feel of the trip with the crappy food offerings. I was expecting more for a daytime flight - not the snack choice I also dislike on long redeye flights.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by nycityny
Well, I was surprised and quite disappointed to just be offered the snack tray with bananas, chip and cookies on my 2:05pm flight from Denver to Los Angeles yesterday. It was a 787 aircraft with 48 Business seats so they certainly save money doing that. But they also certainly negate the premium feel of the trip with the crappy food offerings. I was expecting more for a daytime flight - not the snack choice I also dislike on long redeye flights.
Hm, I have a 1908 DEN-LAX next month showing dinner. Hope it stays that way since I paid more for both 772 equipment and dinner.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I'm 99% sure you'll be enjoying a bag of chips and a banana I think that flight has always been catered that way as it falls in the 1:30-3p "no meal" window.

If anyone is flying on a meal window EWR-MCO/TPA/FLL flight before 4p, those are the ones that have been showing "snack" for a few weeks now starting 9/1 I believe and I'd be curious if there will actually be any change or if it's a website error.
Yep. I'm on 1985 FLL-EWR in October (11:43am-2:35pm) and it now shows snack. Previously displayed as lunch.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
SANORD
DEP 1400
EQP 738
MEAL Lunch

First time taking a midcon flight that wasn't double-catered so was curious to see if the sorbet would make an appearance.

Meal orders taken by FA hopping around and then coming from the front, working back. Was concerned that I wouldn't have a meal choice because I was in bulkhead. Choices were described as chicken with green beans or tofu and rice. Ordered chicken but was curious what was going to show up. The details make a difference; looked it up in the actual descriptions and it was the following:
-Grilled chicken breast, romesco sauce, grits, green beans
-Shahi paneer (no nuts), steamed jasmine rice

Despite my initial impression, the FAs were very good and kept glasses filled.

The meal itself was good and chicken, sauce (left in foil container), grits, and green beans were cooked evenly. The edamame cabbage salad was ok on its own, but the sesame dressing seemed to be a weird palate transition into the chicken with red sauce which originally thought was some sort of sundried tomato spread but romesco is some sort of bell pepper/nut sauce.

As for the sorbet, well I do like lemon sorbet but also seemed to clash with the meal itself and would have preferred a gelato.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Hm, I have a 1908 DEN-LAX next month showing dinner. Hope it stays that way since I paid more for both 772 equipment and dinner.
You will receive a dinner on that flight. IIRC, the window on that route would be 16:00-20:00 = dinner. Anything after that would be snack basket.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
Yep - I was referencing AA with the "light bites" they have. UA is not competitive in that regard. I completely agree it sucks because they seem to disregard the fact that while the flight time is during a non-meal window, many people are connecting from other flights or simply don't have time to eat before a flight.

I miss the days of the cold plate on those shorter flights, which was offered at all times of the day. I recall eating it many times on my ~10p IAD-TPA flights which was great considering there was no time to eat a real dinner if you were connecting and coming directly from work/client/etc.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Haven't seen any other recent posts, but CUN-ORD (Lunch) as of Dec 2016 was choice of:

Braised Short Rib w/ Plaintains and rice

or

Salmon with Couscous
That's quinoa, not couscous.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
That's quinoa, not couscous.
Ah so it is- it was MrsWooglin's meal, I had the short rib. I was relying on my notes.

Either I wrote down what the FA said incorrectly, or it was described by the FA as couscous when taking orders. As it was almost 9 months ago, I can't recall which.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
8/18 JAX - ORD 11:30a Departure -- Lunch on E175

Cold sliced chicken breast with coleslaw and a wedge of cheese.

Fairly tasty, chicken was moist, I think the coleslaw had some apple in it as well. The mixed nuts were a nice touch, not sure if they were supposed to be served separately.

Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:59 pm

A few from the past couple of weeks:

ORD-LGA, UA Express - E175, 10a departure, lunch:

Asian noodle salad or roast beef sandwich.

FA said she think catering messed up as they only catered 2 or 3 noodle salads, so most of the cabin got roast beef. I have to say I was actually very impressed. Sandwich had a decent amount of beef, with blue cheese and caramelized onions. Salad was fresh and had the balsamic (better IMO then the fruit dressings), and that cookie is always good. This is one meal I cannot complain about, especially being on a regional jet.

TPA-ORD, Mainline - 739, 6:30a departure, breakfast (note in a week the official meal code changes to "snack" so we'll see what changes are in store)

"Egg wrap or protein bowl"

I chose the egg wrap. I love hard boiled eggs, but the smell of the FC cabin when the FA started unpacking those protein bowls was god awful, and overbearing at 6:30am. Seems like a few people chose the egg wrap, a few chose the protein bowl, and a lot of people skipped altogether or just took a cinnamon roll/biscuit. Both trays were served with Chobani strawberry yogurt IIRC.

The egg wrap was glued to the plate from the heating. Luckily I didn't want the wrap anyways so I scooped most of the egg mixture out, added the hot sauce packet, and it was a great, flavorful meal. Presentation was awful however. I have to give them credit that adding the yogurt to the tray is a + for added protein component but I have to think they cut the cost of the main entree to comp for this. The egg wrap looks like something from the freezer section, which I'm sure is cheaper to source then the previous quiche/omelette/etc. Overall not terrible.

EWR-TPA, Mainline - 752, ~11:30a departure, lunch

-Salmon salad, forgot the other option

I enjoyed this lunch. The salad was plated in the new Polaris bowl and seems to have more lettuce than before. Contained cranberries, picked onions, and cheese. Salmon on the side. Dressing was the pomegranate acai which is not my favorite, however we had pretzel rolls on this flight so I was not complaining. Dessert served on the same tray was a slice of lemon cheesecake.

I am not a fan of the new cheesecake dessert replacing the cookie. I don't like that it's plated together and the three times I've tried it now it always tastes very artificial.

Last edited by CruiserCLE; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
LAX-SFO 6 am flight 08/21/17

"snack" with a mimosa

muffin anyone?

David
Attached Images  
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
IAH-LAX dinner flight tonight was choice of cheeseburger or spinach ravioli. I had burger which was delicious, neighbour had the ravioli which looked good & he enjoyed. Cheesecake slice for dessert. ^
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
no photo, but very impressed with the 1 meat; 1 veg option on both flights ORD-LGA F this week. I about fell out of my seat. The new option was a very tasty squash (canolli like) pasta with a dollop of spinach. the filling was awesome...a little work needed on heating so the pasta edge is edible. On one flight it was described as a spinach roll...which was absolutely hilarious as there's hardly any spinach and apparently not a lot of popeye fans as you think 10 of 12 people in F were having a choice of poison or salmon LOL. today's flight was more appropriately described as squash ravioli (although not an actual ravioli).

All and all, hopefully this is a Mr. Kirby change to like with a 1 veg; 1 meat consistent offering in F like has been standard at AA. Now if UA can put in a pre-order app on top of their antiquated IT system it might be a reason to consistently come back. (a boy can dream).

All and all, a really nice F meal this new Spinach roll/squash pasta option IMO.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DELee
LAX-SFO 6 am flight 08/21/17

"snack" with a mimosa

muffin anyone?

David
What I wouldn't give to get a muffin like that on a "Refreshments" flight after noon..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.