Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
UA1561, Aug. 5
LGA-DEN, 0620 departure
B738, F cabin

Choice was between scrambled eggs and oatmeal. Not the biggest fan of egg dishes, so went with the oatmeal. Not one of my favorite UA F breakfasts.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Sfo-dfw Aug 1
Paella with shrimp and sausage or chicken salad. Had the Paella and it was OK. Shrimp were cooked reasonably well.

Going to miss the mainline aircraft when it switches back to UAX in the fall.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The meal I had SFO-OGG Tuesday was actually heftier than most I've received recently. Tough-ish "flat=iron" steak (easily twice the size of the short rib I'm used to) w/ chimichurri sauce, decent amount of mashed sweet potatoes, and some white beans. Wasn't bad. Sizeable scoop of vanilla ice cream (in a paper bowl) w/ whipped cream and chocolate sauce .

Ordered a Moscow Mule. FA proactively brought a Tito's, too, saying "There's alcohol in the Moscow Mule, but I've been told not enough..."
Nearly identical meal here SFO>BOS recently, though my chocolate allergy meant I had to substitute strawberry sauce in my sundae. I agree about both the tough steak and weak mule. On the plus side, I ended up with row 4 all to myself. I kinda like this new no-CPU policy.

Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-DEN
UA 355
Dinner

Choice of chicken with pesto sauce or portobello mushroom ravioli. Salad dressing was pomegranate aϛaí vinaigrette. Separate ice cream sundae.
Attached Images   
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Hi all - noticed today when booking some upcoming F travel that some of my common routes are now showing "snack" instead of breakfast/lunch. The main examples being TPA/MCO-EWR/ORD (all 4 city pairs). All flights before 4p ET are showing as "Snack" starting sometime in September (different than all of my flights in August showing breakfast or lunch), except for the 1:30-3p ET flights showing "refreshments" which is normal. The timing matches the "2 hrs. 20 min. to 2 hrs. 30 min" section of the dining page, although none of these flights fall in that bucket.

Anyone think this is a glitch or a new change coming? If it was further out, I would think it's a bug which has happened in the past, but given these flights are only 5-7 weeks out, I'm a bit surprised. I have similar reservations for August and all are showing the correct breakfast/lunch/dinner designation.

Thanks!
CruiserCLE - United got back to me when I inquired about this, as I saw it on the West Coast too. They think it is indeed an IT glitch, and no menu changes effective Sept 1st!

"The only update to our inflight food/beverage service that I am aware of that is effective September 1st is that we are expanding our onboard beer list to include New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA.

I have reported this issue to our IT Department for internal review. "

- Tom
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
"that we are expanding our onboard beer list to include New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA. "
Well, that's good news!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
CruiserCLE - United got back to me when I inquired about this, as I saw it on the West Coast too. They think it is indeed an IT glitch, and no menu changes effective Sept 1st!

"The only update to our inflight food/beverage service that I am aware of that is effective September 1st is that we are expanding our onboard beer list to include New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA.

I have reported this issue to our IT Department for internal review. "

- Tom
Thanks for the follow up, Tom! Good to hear. I have a flight on 9/1 on one of the routes we discussed being changed from "Breakfast" to "Snack" so I'll report back if for some reason it actually does change.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
UA 6018 IAD-DFW
1250 departure
Mesa E175

No PDB

Choice of salmon salad or pasta

Salad had lettuce, apples, goat cheese, onions and salmon filet was served cold on a separate plate, actually very good. Also came with a bowl of fruit and packaged triple chocolate cookie. Dressing was pomegranate acai vinaigrette.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
UA 6018 IAD-DFW
1250 departure
Mesa E175

No PDB

Choice of salmon salad or pasta
Pasta.. salad? It must have been served cold, right?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
UA1913 LAX-CLE (08/05/17)

Lunch

PDB - H2O only from a tray of blue plastic cups.

Nuts + Glenfarclas

Dining options were: "Chicken" or "Paneer"

After my my recent E+ p.t.s. dining experience, staying away from "Chicken" . However my wife picked the "Chicken".

I thought the Paneer dish was quite good. She thought the "Chicken" was ok.

Lemon sorbet in el vaso de papel.

David
Attached Images     
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I'm confused about something. I've read mixed reports about desserts on midcons. It looks like an EWR-DEN flight had a sundae from earlier this thread, as well as an ORD-SFO videotaped flight in 3-class F recently, but the recent CLE-LAX (which is almost a transcon, and definitely longer than ORD-SFO and EWR-DEN) only got the sorbet/gelato.

What gives, and what's the standard for midcon desserts?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Lunch = sorbet. Dinner = gelato or ice cream, with a few toppings (not full sundae like premium transcontinental).
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Thanks!
"Midcon" is a bit of a blurry word. If I have my flight lengths correctly, flights that have no "snack window" in the middle of the day get a sorbet if catered with Lunch and ice cream (slash gelato) with Dinner, where limited toppings are offered. This is "longer" midcons as well as non-p.s. transcons. Transcons (those with 3 meal options) also get the cookie on arrival.

Shorter midcons (two meals but flight may have a snack window) just get the cookie.

For example, when flying SFO-IAH-LGA, SFO-IAH had sorbet (lunch flight) and IAH-LGA had only the cookie (dinner flight). Both however had 2 meal options drawn from the same pool of "midcon meals" (different options though for eastern and western division).
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm confused about something. I've read mixed reports about desserts on midcons. It looks like an EWR-DEN flight had a sundae from earlier this thread, as well as an ORD-SFO videotaped flight in 3-class F recently, but the recent CLE-LAX (which is almost a transcon, and definitely longer than ORD-SFO and EWR-DEN) only got the sorbet/gelato.

Thanks!
On return DEN-EWR now (739 Dinner) - sundae was gelato with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.

Dinner was lentil chili with polenta or lobster mac & cheese. Everyone in the first two rows ordered the lentil chili (which I've had before and like). By somewhere in the third row (of 5 rows) they ran out. I could overhear several people asking for Y alternatives when told only the lobster mac was available.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
I only say that because JetBlue and Scott Kirby in their respective 2Q calls separately noted yield pressure in the EWR-Florida market due to the Spirit entry and redeployment of B6 Florida capacity from LGA to EWR to sustain the LGABOS operation. It's apparent, to me, that the yield environment has deteriorated over the last year. How that impacts FC catering is unclear, though.
<br /><br />I don't see how Spirit able to sustain such cheap fares. From MCI to MCO if you catch it with right special is $25 each way including tax. If you can fit your clothes in a backpack no luggage fees either. If you want to be a big spender you can get "Big Front Seat" for extra $35 each way. Same first class seat that in legacy carriers. just no free drink service.<br />

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.