Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 2, 17, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
The way that you've described this breakfast, it sounds much more appealing. We eat a lot of salmon for breakfast up here in Vancouver. Probably second only to New York City, where it's served on many bagels.
It's unfortunate that more FA's don't take the time to actually look beyond just the description printed on the meal wrapping because it can really make a difference in how one orders not to mention the perception about the "quality" of the service. I'd be more inclined to order a salad with egg vs. an egg salad. In this case the label should be printed by the caterer as follows:
ENT, BREAKFAST
PROTEIN PLATE
(SMOKED SALMON)

Now it's up to the FA to either reference UA's internal "chef tips" or actually open an entrée up and peek inside.

I usually avoid fish on the ground (not a big seafood eater) so in the air its usually the last thing I would order. However I was left with a cold salmon salad option a few weeks ago on Express and I actually enjoyed eating it (and so did my 2 year old oddly enough).

I posted this a few pages back but the cold plate offerings that are rotating currently are the following:
-Breakfast protein plate (hard boiled egg, turkey, grapes, cheese, grapes, apricot, almonds)
-Fruit/cold oatmeal with chia seeds and mango
-Greek breakfast protein plate (feta hummus, olive/carrot, celery almonds, turkey)
-Breakfast protein plate (hardboiled egg, cucumber, smoked salmon, brie, almonds)
Old Aug 2, 17, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE View Post
Is this part of a downgrade in catering? I fly TPA-EWR/ORD a few times a month and it has always been quiche, omelette, oatmeal, or souffle (depending on the direction).

Haven't flown the routes in a few weeks so I guess I'll see what's in store for me next week.
Florida yields are trash right now so it appears UA has cut front cabin catering on the EWR/ORD flights.
Old Aug 2, 17, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Florida yields are trash right now ....
Surely that depends - MCO is often running thin margins for every airline, but there are viable business markets in FLL/MIA/TPA that support the same yields as any other medium size business center, such as CLT.
Old Aug 2, 17, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Surely that depends - MCO is often running thin margins for every airline, but there are viable business markets in FLL/MIA/TPA that support the same yields as any other medium size business center, such as CLT.
I only say that because JetBlue and Scott Kirby in their respective 2Q calls separately noted yield pressure in the EWR-Florida market due to the Spirit entry and redeployment of B6 Florida capacity from LGA to EWR to sustain the LGABOS operation. It's apparent, to me, that the yield environment has deteriorated over the last year. How that impacts FC catering is unclear, though.
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
I noticed that UA has traditionally messed around alot with shorthaul F meals, especially on Florida-EWR and California-far midwest routes. I remember during the 2012 meal harmonization, a lot of routes that previously got breakfast/lunch were changed to snack routes. I hope this isn't what is happening again.
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I only say that because JetBlue and Scott Kirby in their respective 2Q calls separately noted yield pressure in the EWR-Florida market due to the Spirit entry and redeployment of B6 Florida capacity from LGA to EWR to sustain the LGABOS operation. It's apparent, to me, that the yield environment has deteriorated over the last year. How that impacts FC catering is unclear, though.
To your point - I've never seen EWR-MCO/TPA fares cheaper than they are now.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
I noticed that UA has traditionally messed around alot with shorthaul F meals, especially on Florida-EWR and California-far midwest routes. I remember during the 2012 meal harmonization, a lot of routes that previously got breakfast/lunch were changed to snack routes. I hope this isn't what is happening again.
I didn't know this had happened - thanks for mentioning it. I am on the route next week (both directions) and will report back! If it is actually a downgrade, that really sucks. With boarding time + NYC ATC delays, you are on the plane for quite a while sometimes.

The "Meals" section of UA.com does not show any changes yet either.
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Spirit has been around a long time - if they are still trying to figure out what to do about them, I'd say they are in trouble. I would say Sprit fills aircraft seats on the NE/FL routes with customers the other airlines probably don't want to cater to anyway.

Over time, even under Continental, the meals on ex-FLL and ex-PBI flights varied widely - even between routes. There was a period of time at CO where the FLL EWR flight received an enhanced dinner service with plated dessert, while the FLL IAH flight, almost the same length, received a tiny hot sandwich and no dessert.

For me, I am just noticing an overall systemwide cutback in meal size and quality across the entire product - short/long domestic F and Polaris. It seems rather odd to make such a big deal about new product enhancements, and then a couple months later, slash them back.
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Topic Reminder

The thread topic area is food offerings / reviews for domestic First and "PS" flights. Let's return to the thread topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 3, 17, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
For me, I am just noticing an overall systemwide cutback in meal size and quality across the entire product - short/long domestic F and Polaris. It seems rather odd to make such a big deal about new product enhancements, and then a couple months later, slash them back.
This is the airline business... is that ever a surprise, really?
Old Aug 3, 17, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
SFO-HNL 777 9:01am

-Spicy Western Omelette
-Berry compote souffle
-Cherrios & Fruit

Omelette good of course and this time presentation was nice. Mom loved the souffle. Interesting the purser took to the PA and announced to the whole plane what the F options were.
Old Aug 4, 17, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
SFO-HNL 777 9:01am

-Spicy Western Omelette
-Berry compote souffle
-Cherrios & Fruit

Omelette good of course and this time presentation was nice. Mom loved the souffle. Interesting the purser took to the PA and announced to the whole plane what the F options were.
They have the ability to make an announcement in just one cabin.
Old Aug 4, 17, 8:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
Unfortunately for all of us both Delta and AA have also seen domestic meals slide down this year as well. The Delta meals aren't what they were a couple years ago and AA is well documented.
I have to disagree on AA. So far, they've actually introduced a few improvements this year - the change to grey linens vs. the ugly beige linens; 3 entree choices now on DFW-HNL/OGG flights and back; and new cookies from Doubletree Hotel being used in domestic F. Two changes were made effective 8/1; the linens were introduced around March or April.
Old Aug 4, 17, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N104UA View Post
They have the ability to make an announcement in just one cabin.

You know I always wondered that but never thought to ask.
I noticed the wifi never came up the whole flight so I figured PDE was not working but I never heard them announce that on the PA. So perhaps they did in Y.
Old Aug 4, 17, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Sundaes on SFO-EWR!

A friend of mine reported that the full ice cream sundae service was offered on her 11:00 a.m. flight to Newark last week. Seems consistent with the latest reports on the long, long ice cream thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ne-2017-a.html
Old Aug 4, 17, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
YVR-ORD on Aug 4. French toast souffle was almost tasteless. Had a mild eggy flavor - no vanilla taste to the sauce. Much worse than I remember it when flying SFO-HNL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: