Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Sitting on United 117 right now SNA ORD...absolutely pathetic first class lunch. Ravioli with two small pieces of pasta (Delta offers a similar dish with SIX pieces of ravioli) and a spoonful of some kind of braised root vegetables.

Side was a tiny salad with about 15 pieces of baby spinach, one tiny olive and a tiny ball of cheese.

Dessert was a small single scoop of strawberry vanilla ice cream.

Only the ice cream had any real flavor while everything else was like eating paper. Meals plated without butter and needed to ask for it.

All in all a very very disappointing presentation with so little quality or substance I have to ask United, why do you even bother?

It's obvious that meal quantity has shrunk by at least 50% in the last year, and Polaris now extends the same cuts to international premium business. Just have to shake my head at how far down the product is cratering.
I get the feeling they instituted a 'plan B' catering cost cut sometime earlier this year after a year all the airlines had a rough yield environment on domestic. Kind of like what you saw in the late 2000s.

Unfortunately for all of us both Delta and AA have also seen domestic meals slide down this year as well. The Delta meals aren't what they were a couple years ago and AA is well documented.

Might surprise you, but Polaris was a net cost increase in catering (in part for the extra wine they board and those extra desserts).

My favorite thing out there on regular domestic is the UA regional jet salmon salad. Big bowl salad and a nicely poached salmon. Looks pretty, hits the spot, simple and healthy. Seat on the A side and it's a great ride - better than any mainline midcon.

Or a UA burger from the back of the bus plus a salad setup.

In other words - if two coach seats are cheaper than first, go with that. Especially when travelling as a pair - 3 coach vs 2 first.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
ORD-EWR
UA 1995
3 class 772, F section

It appeared F got the same choices as J, just more attentive service. Nice seat for an hour and a half flying time. Had the Polaris blankets, big pillow, and slippers(!).

PDB, then after takeoff nuts+drinks, followed by choice of jambalaya or lentil chili.
Attached Images   
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Meal guideline changes coming, or website glitch?

Hi all - noticed today when booking some upcoming F travel that some of my common routes are now showing "snack" instead of breakfast/lunch. The main examples being TPA/MCO-EWR/ORD (all 4 city pairs). All flights before 4p ET are showing as "Snack" starting sometime in September (different than all of my flights in August showing breakfast or lunch), except for the 1:30-3p ET flights showing "refreshments" which is normal. The timing matches the "2 hrs. 20 min. to 2 hrs. 30 min" section of the dining page, although none of these flights fall in that bucket.

Anyone think this is a glitch or a new change coming? If it was further out, I would think it's a bug which has happened in the past, but given these flights are only 5-7 weeks out, I'm a bit surprised. I have similar reservations for August and all are showing the correct breakfast/lunch/dinner designation.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
...Anyone think this is a glitch or a new change coming?...
I find the meal descriptions and timeframes somewhat unreliable, but usually the surprise is on the positive side. For example, I can get the cheeseburger on flights somewhat shorter than the stated minimum for that particular goodie.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I find the meal descriptions and timeframes somewhat unreliable, but usually the surprise is on the positive side. For example, I can get the cheeseburger on flights somewhat shorter than the stated minimum for that particular goodie.
I generally agree however this is the first time I'm seeing previously ticketed reservations updated to reflect this change. I hand't looked yesterday but just checked and noticed my 9/2 flight TPA-ORD is now listed as "Snack" instead of "Breakfast".

Anyone else seeing the same? I'll continue to hope there are no changes until I actually fly those segments but one has to wonder...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I generally agree however this is the first time I'm seeing previously ticketed reservations updated to reflect this change. I hand't looked yesterday but just checked and noticed my 9/2 flight TPA-ORD is now listed as "Snack" instead of "Breakfast".

Anyone else seeing the same? I'll continue to hope there are no changes until I actually fly those segments but one has to wonder...
Checked random dates in mid-September, showing the same for TPA-ORD, TPA-EWR, MCO-EWR, morning and afternoon departures coded as "Snack" or "Refreshments."
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by demkr
Checked random dates in mid-September, showing the same for TPA-ORD, TPA-EWR, MCO-EWR, morning and afternoon departures coded as "Snack" or "Refreshments."
Yep, noticed that yesterday. Did a little more checking, and seeing the RSW-EWR, MIA-EWR, FLL-IAD/EWR morning and afternoon departures coded the same.

The few holdouts seem to be RSW/FLL/MIA-ORD as they are all blocked over 3 hours.

Hoping this is just an IT glitch but who knows. Maybe the "enhancement" is going to be snack only for flights 2hr 30min - 3hrs departing before 4p.

I also checked a few other routes with similar block times and they are all showing "Snack" up until 4p.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Yep, noticed that yesterday. Did a little more checking, and seeing the RSW-EWR, MIA-EWR, FLL-IAD/EWR morning and afternoon departures coded the same.

The few holdouts seem to be RSW/FLL/MIA-ORD as they are all blocked over 3 hours.

Hoping this is just an IT glitch but who knows. Maybe the "enhancement" is going to be snack only for flights 2hr 30min - 3hrs departing before 4p.

I also checked a few other routes with similar block times and they are all showing "Snack" up until 4p.
I noticed the same thing for some West coast airports. For example, SBA-DEN, it's "breakfast" on Aug 31st and "snack" on Sept 1st. I shot United an email, and we'll see what they have to say.
- Tom
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by tstauck
I noticed the same thing for some West coast airports. For example, SBA-DEN, it's "breakfast" on Aug 31st and "snack" on Sept 1st. I shot United an email, and we'll see what they have to say.
- Tom
Thanks, Tom! Please do keep us posted.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
ORD-EWR
UA 1995
3 class 772, F section

It appeared F got the same choices as J, just more attentive service. Nice seat for an hour and a half flying time. Had the Polaris blankets, big pillow, and slippers(!).

PDB, then after takeoff nuts+drinks, followed by choice of jambalaya or lentil chili.
Funny how United can be so inconsistent. I flew in 2A on 1995 yesterday (7/31) and had the exact same meal as you, but NO Polaris pillows or blankets. In fact I didn't see any blankets, and didn't bother asking the FAs for the cheap thin ones.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Overnight Oats for breakfast

EWR-TPA
UA 1797
Breakfast

Breakfast was a choice of ham & egg croissant (which my seatmate chose, so I got a picture) and "overnight oats." I admit I didn't know what they were (where I grew up we had grits). It was a bowl of cold oats soaked in milk overnight (according to the FA description), and topped with mango pieces. It was actually pretty good, and a step up from cold cereal.
Attached Images   
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
EWR-TPA
UA 1797
Breakfast

Breakfast was a choice of ham & egg croissant (which my seatmate chose, so I got a picture) and "overnight oats." I admit I didn't know what they were (where I grew up we had grits). It was a bowl of cold oats soaked in milk overnight (according to the FA description), and topped with mango pieces. It was actually pretty good, and a step up from cold cereal.
Is this part of a downgrade in catering? I fly TPA-EWR/ORD a few times a month and it has always been quiche, omelette, oatmeal, or souffle (depending on the direction).

Haven't flown the routes in a few weeks so I guess I'll see what's in store for me next week.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
This morning IAH/DEN. We were offered two of the most horrible breakfast choices I have ever heard. I am hoping it was just a poor reading by the FA:

She offered your choice of an Egg Salad with Salmon.
or
A Vegetable Calzone with no egg.

Every person in rows 1 and 2 did not order either. Instead I got the Yogurt and Cinnamon roll. But really an Egg Salad with Salmon, for breakfast? At 5:30am that sounded horrible.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
This morning IAH/DEN. We were offered two of the most horrible breakfast choices I have ever heard. I am hoping it was just a poor reading by the FA:

She offered your choice of an Egg Salad with Salmon.
or
A Vegetable Calzone with no egg.

Every person in rows 1 and 2 did not order either. Instead I got the Yogurt and Cinnamon roll. But really an Egg Salad with Salmon, for breakfast? At 5:30am that sounded horrible.
The egg salad is actually a "breakfast protein plate" consisting of hardboiled egg, cucumber, smoked salmon, brie, and almonds. Sounds like the FA literally looked inside the bowl and literally said "egg salad with salmon". Doesn't sound as bad when you actually get an accurate description.

I'll admit that I prefer more traditional breakfasts, and we will see how long this offering lasts, but I do give UA some credit for mixing things up and coming up with newer options although it appears most people aren't too thrilled.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
The egg salad is actually a "breakfast protein plate" consisting of hardboiled egg, cucumber, smoked salmon, brie, and almonds. Sounds like the FA literally looked inside the bowl and literally said "egg salad with salmon". Doesn't sound as bad when you actually get an accurate description.

I'll admit that I prefer more traditional breakfasts, and we will see how long this offering lasts, but I do give UA some credit for mixing things up and coming up with newer options although it appears most people aren't too thrilled.
The way that you've described this breakfast, it sounds much more appealing. We eat a lot of salmon for breakfast up here in Vancouver. Probably second only to New York City, where it's served on many bagels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.