Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Standard First Award (JN) shows up on upgrade list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

I booked a standard (50k) MileagePlus award for my son. Pulled up flight details and noticed it showed him as upgraded to First. When I've booked these awards in the past I've never seen myself appear on the list, rather it's been treated as a standard F booking.

My only concern with this is that in the event of an equipment swap/downgrade and no status would this be treated as a Y ticket that's been upgraded?

Just some background on this trip: Im doing the single dad thing traveling solo with my 1.5 year old on my lap and my 3 year old (the other seat in question) so trying to anticipate any potential issues in advance so there are no surprises; I took the boys over the summer by myself on the same trip so I've got the routine down. While it can be rough for the most part, especially if you fly often and are used to being able to show up at the airport <60 mins, breeze thru security, and stop off at the club, traveling with two small kids is a bit of an eye opener.

I refuse to be that parent that allows their kids to climb all over the place, have no consideration for others and will change a diaper on a table, knowingly let their kids annoy others, and most importantly let their kids wear crocs (they really should not be worn in public) etc. I'm sure we will still get the dirty looks from people in F, but I usually try and take the last row and keep the kids occupied with enough stuff so it's not an issue. It's one thing to let your kid scream, unfortunately crying etc happens but I think people are more sympathetic if they see you are at least trying.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
My only concern with this is that in the event of an equipment swap/downgrade and no status would this be treated as a Y ticket that's been upgraded?...
What is the fare class for the ticket?

There have been other reports of some standard awards showing on the upgraded list, JN.

All that matters is the fare class -- that is what the system and the agent will use.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is the fare class for the ticket?

There have been other reports of some standard awards showing on the upgraded list, JN.

All that matters is the fare class -- that is what the system and the agent will use.
It shows as JN....which is interesting because I've only seen that on either international or 3-class domestic.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
It shows as JN....which is interesting because I've only seen that on either international or 3-class domestic.
and PS and

JN - Elite/CC Standard Business or 2-cabin First Award
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
FN is only three class awards.

So bottom line, this is no problem and is very standard display results.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2016 at 1:05 pm Reason: link
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, widely reported that JN will show as a cleared upgrade on CPU eligible flights. It's a display quirk of the system, and as long as it's a JN ticket you will be treated correctly.

Probably because the original use of the bucket was for instant upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.