Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on UA flight from LHR to LAX -- RIP 27 Dec 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on UA flight from LHR to LAX -- RIP 27 Dec 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Chevelter
News reports say Carrie was flying in Global First with her French bulldog, Gary. United allows this on international flights?
They don't have a choice, it's a comfort/service animal.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC CHECK

Please remember the title of the thread

goalie
UA Forum Co Moderator
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
I was on the flight...

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I assume this was UA 935.

Carrie Fisher suffered cardiac arrest. No word yet on her condition.

Was anyone on this flight?

http://6abc.com/entertainment/carrie...plane/1670744/
I was on this flight, seated in 7H, 3 rows behind Ms. Fischer, who was in Row 2 in GF. She did indeed board through Door 2L with a small dog and went right past me. Didn't look sick at all when she boarded. However, I must admit, I did not recognize her. She looked a bit different at 17...

The first time I was aware of a problem was about 20 minutes prior to landing, when the FAs asked for a medical doctor on the PA. After asking twice for a medical doctor, they asked for any medical personnel. Two nurses soon arrived and laid Ms. Fischer onto the floor on the right aisle. One began CPR almost immediately, while the other started an IV. I could not see Ms. Fischer, but I could see the second nurse holding the IV bag.

This turned out to be my first TATL flight during the last 18 months where Channel 9 was enabled. I had been listening to it since Montana. I said to my wife, "We're about to declare a medical emergency". And that happened about 30 seconds later. The pilot was asked the nature of the emergency and replied that a passenger was being cared for by medical personnel on board and was unresponsive. He also requested that paramedics meet the aircraft upon landing. Later on, he asked them to ensure that the gate was open, and to ensure that the paramedics would be there. I don't think he left any question about the urgency.

About 5-6 minutes before landing an FA made an announcement that due to the medical emergency, paramedics would board immediately once we got to the gate, and asked all passengers to remain seated until the patient had been removed. (They didn't mention the patient's name) The pilot repeated this warning on the PA right after landing, asking for the cooperation of all passengers.

We landed normally and rolled out to the first high-speed turnoff after the Bradley terminal. We did indeed have priority: we crossed 25R immediately, with no slowing down, and we taxied at what seemed to be a higher than normal speed directly to Gate 74. No other aircraft were on the taxiway in front of us, at least as far down as the Sepulveda tunnel. I saw 3 or 4 fire department vehicles, painted a very bright yellow-green with red lights flashing parked at the gate. The forward jet bridge was attached and door 1L was opened within 2 minutes. Four or five LAFD personnel boarded immediately, of which at least two were paramedics. Ms. Fischer was put onto a stretcher and taken off the plane quickly, I would estimate under 5 minutes.

As far as I could tell, the entire flight crew behaved very professionally and in a well-coordinated manner during the entire incident.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
david7031 Thanks so much for your post!

I've been on flights in the past where there were medical emergencies and it's amazing how quickly they can get a plane to the gate when it is really necessary.

Very grateful for your insider account!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by david7031
I was on this flight, seated in 7H, 3 rows behind Ms. Fischer, who was in Row 2 in GF. She did indeed board through Door 2L with a small dog and went right past me. Didn't look sick at all when she boarded. However, I must admit, I did not recognize her. She looked a bit different at 17...

The first time I was aware of a problem was about 20 minutes prior to landing, when the FAs asked for a medical doctor on the PA. After asking twice for a medical doctor, they asked for any medical personnel. Two nurses soon arrived and laid Ms. Fischer onto the floor on the right aisle. One began CPR almost immediately, while the other started an IV. I could not see Ms. Fischer, but I could see the second nurse holding the IV bag.

This turned out to be my first TATL flight during the last 18 months where Channel 9 was enabled. I had been listening to it since Montana. I said to my wife, "We're about to declare a medical emergency". And that happened about 30 seconds later. The pilot was asked the nature of the emergency and replied that a passenger was being cared for by medical personnel on board and was unresponsive. He also requested that paramedics meet the aircraft upon landing. Later on, he asked them to ensure that the gate was open, and to ensure that the paramedics would be there. I don't think he left any question about the urgency.

About 5-6 minutes before landing an FA made an announcement that due to the medical emergency, paramedics would board immediately once we got to the gate, and asked all passengers to remain seated until the patient had been removed. (They didn't mention the patient's name) The pilot repeated this warning on the PA right after landing, asking for the cooperation of all passengers.

We landed normally and rolled out to the first high-speed turnoff after the Bradley terminal. We did indeed have priority: we crossed 25R immediately, with no slowing down, and we taxied at what seemed to be a higher than normal speed directly to Gate 74. No other aircraft were on the taxiway in front of us, at least as far down as the Sepulveda tunnel. I saw 3 or 4 fire department vehicles, painted a very bright yellow-green with red lights flashing parked at the gate. The forward jet bridge was attached and door 1L was opened within 2 minutes. Four or five LAFD personnel boarded immediately, of which at least two were paramedics. Ms. Fischer was put onto a stretcher and taken off the plane quickly, I would estimate under 5 minutes.

As far as I could tell, the entire flight crew behaved very professionally and in a well-coordinated manner during the entire incident.
Wow. Quite a story.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:43 am

Wow, thanks for posting. Crazy story.

Member participation like yours is what makes this membership in this community so strong.

In 2003 I was flying from JFK to Rio on an AA 777 red eye flight. We left NYC and stopped in Miami to refuel - we were a full flight. I was snoozing in first and around 1am heard several requests over the PA system for medical personal, and for whom who might be aboard the flight.

There was a flurry of activity.

At 4am the pilot came on to say we were landing - but it wasn't in Rio. A passenger had suffered a medical emergency on board and had gone into the bathroom and had passed.

Brazil wouldn't let the plane into the country with a deceased passenger and we had to turn around. (I was traveling with a GF who was a FA for American at the time, so we got the scoop from the crew). It was a sad situation. They left the passenger in the lav. When we landed back in Miami two members of the Miami Dade County Coroner dept came aboard the plane and walked down the aisle. That was strange. We deplaned after they came aboard, but before they got off.

Luckily this situation wasnt as bad.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
News reports coming out now, Carrie Fisher passed away this morning.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

https://www.yahoo.com/news/carrie-fi...175834399.html
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Just heard it as well and may she rest in peace
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Very sad to her. May the force be with her.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
God that's sad. May the Force be with her always.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
As a young boy growing up in the 70's, I have always remembered my parents taking me to Star Wars. Carrie was my first crush as a child, may she rest in peace.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sad to hear. It's certainly going to be tough on her mom, daughter and Gary.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS
Godspeed.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
First, George Michael then Carrie fisher. 2016 doesn't seem to like the 80's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.