Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1353513636
United does not have a lounge in PVG. There is a Star Alliance Gold lounge near Gate 71 (United flights leave from 80s gates typically), which are <5 minute walk. Lounge is up escalator and past a food court and perched over the landside part of the terminal. It has no views.

Entry floor has a bar with a decent selection of liquor. Upper floor has buffet food with limited selections. Wifi and newspapers available. Showers available (4 stalls at least).

related thread
Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong
Print Wikipost

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
yes two lounges (one for international and one for domestic) both operated by CA
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
I'm flying in and out of PVG for a meeting next week and never had the opportunity to use a lounge there before as my one only other arrival involved transfer to a different terminal for a flight on MU. From the *A website it looks like the only option as a UA Gold and UC member will be the CA business class lounge. For such a large international airport with so many other *A carriers is that really the only option? I've spent time in CA lounges in PEK and CTU before and they're alright but I was frankly expecting a few more options.
The CA business lounge at PVG is pretty nice compared to other cities in China. If you are eligible for the F side, it's very nice.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The PVG CA lounge is not too bad. A few years ago, it was in a different location and it was disgusting. Every drink (soda, water, white wine) was warm and they had no ice. And the toilets were so smelly that just thinking about it makes me sick.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
The CA business lounge at PVG is pretty nice compared to other cities in China. If you are eligible for the F side, it's very nice.
Last time in PVG, my wife and I were eligible for the F side. It was nice in the fact that it was empty and very quiet. But I prefer when I can self serve my drinks. First, I can see which wines are offered. Second, the attendant was disappearing all the time for long stretches. My wife solved the problem by going behind the bar and reading every label and then when the attendant disappeared for a long stretch refilling our glasses herself. But, when in the middle of the process, the attendant reappeared, my wife felt the need to apologize.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 4, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The CA lounge in PVG is fairly new. It has the same look and feel as the lounge in CTU (which means it’s a lot better than even the F lounge in PEK).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
The Intl CA lounge is actually extremely large, spread out across two levels, has mostly decent food, and handles crowds nicely; I suspect this is a large reason why other carriers haven't felt the need to open up shop.

The old lounge (Shanghai Airlines, IIRC) was a miserable pit, with the only redeeming quality that you could easily walk along the back hallway to sneak into the F section where it was at least quiet Not sure how easy it is to sneak into the F section in the newer lounge...
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
The Intl CA lounge is actually extremely large, spread out across two levels, has mostly decent food, and handles crowds nicely; I suspect this is a large reason why other carriers haven't felt the need to open up shop.

The old lounge (Shanghai Airlines, IIRC) was a miserable pit, with the only redeeming quality that you could easily walk along the back hallway to sneak into the F section where it was at least quiet Not sure how easy it is to sneak into the F section in the newer lounge...
You cannot sneak into the F section in the newer lounge. You don't really have a reason to do so as the Business section is already very nice. But if you ever managed to sneak in a LH Senator's Lounge when you only had access to the LH Business Lounge, maybe you are one of the few that can get it done.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Last time in PVG, my wife and I were eligible for the F side. It was nice in the fact that it was empty and very quiet. But I prefer when I can self serve my drinks. First, I can see which wines are offered. Second, the attendant was disappearing all the time for long stretches. My wife solved the problem by going behind the bar and reading every label and then when the attendant disappeared for a long stretch refilling our glasses herself. But, when in the middle of the process, the attendant reappeared, my wife felt the need to apologize.
Perhaps I shouldn't say so, but as your wife did, I have helped myself when the attendant has disappeared for long stretches. Haven't been 'caught', though, so haven't needed to figure out how to navigate that situation.

I think per local preferences they set the refrigerators much warmer than is normal in US, so the soda waters and such tend not to be very cold.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Perhaps I shouldn't say so, but as your wife did, I have helped myself when the attendant has disappeared for long stretches. Haven't been 'caught', though, so haven't needed to figure out how to navigate that situation.

I think per local preferences they set the refrigerators much warmer than is normal in US, so the soda waters and such tend not to be very cold.
I think the best way to handle it is by smiling. No need to apologize because then the attendant feels the need to apologize too for not being there, which happened when my wife apologized.

Anyways, the reason the attendant leaves for long stretches is because there's only one person managing the First Class Lounge (at least that's what we saw when we were there). And that person has to go fetch the food for the passengers who requested a meal from the menu.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Alright CA lounge it is then, but sounds like it's new and pretty decent. I'll be in the international side when departing and am UA gold plus UC membership so only business side for me but still sounds alright. I've been more used to the PEK ones which are just kind of meh.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
I'm flying in and out of PVG for a meeting next week and never had the opportunity to use a lounge there before as my one only other arrival involved transfer to a different terminal for a flight on MU. From the *A website it looks like the only option as a UA Gold and UC member will be the CA business class lounge. For such a large international airport with so many other *A carriers is that really the only option? I've spent time in CA lounges in PEK and CTU before and they're alright but I was frankly expecting a few more options.
Nope, no other choice for Star. But don't worry, CA's lounge in PVG is not bad, better than most other PVG lounges. Quite a bit better than the CA lounge in PEK as well.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:38 pm

airport check-in ends 5+ hours before flight?

i was just looking though UA’s website, and notice that the check-in hour ends at 7:10/7:25pm (summer vs winter) at PVG, but the flight from PVG to SFO leaves at 00:30, which is 5+ hours later....
must be a mistake right?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, definitely a mistake.

Although at a certain Chinese airport 5 hours before departure might be a reasonable time to check in.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, definitely a mistake.

Although at a certain Chinese airport 5 hours before departure might be a reasonable time to check in.
UM. What airport? LOL.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flyingwasabi
i was just looking though UA’s website, and notice that the check-in hour ends at 7:10/7:25pm (summer vs winter) at PVG, but the flight from PVG to SFO leaves at 00:30, which is 5+ hours later....
must be a mistake right?
Beleive the late night flight from PVG to SFO is a recent addition, and appears the website has not been updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.