Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1353513636
United does not have a lounge in PVG. There is a Star Alliance Gold lounge near Gate 71 (United flights leave from 80s gates typically), which are <5 minute walk. Lounge is up escalator and past a food court and perched over the landside part of the terminal. It has no views.

Entry floor has a bar with a decent selection of liquor. Upper floor has buffet food with limited selections. Wifi and newspapers available. Showers available (4 stalls at least).

related thread
Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong
Print Wikipost

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Does anyone have a link for the Air China Lounge at PVG. Do *Gold Members in Coach have access as well? Thanks and Safe Travels
The two CA lounges at PVG are listed as *G *A lounges.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
How is a transfer at PVG?

We fly ORD-PVG-BKK for the holidays. This is on one ticket, UA/TG combination. Wondering if we have to claim luggage in PVG or does it go right through to BKK?

We have a 3-hour layover, which I assume should be plenty of time, unless there are delays out of ORD, which I have seen the last couple of days.

Is there a nice lounge for us at PVG? We will arrive on UA in first class, but then continue on Thai in economy. We are UA 1K star gold....

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
Air China lounge near gate 71 is pretty good and you have access with *G.
May need ask UA ground people at PVG regarding luggage
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Do not connect thru China if you can avoid it. Totally horrible. Long slow immigration lines (2...enter and exit) plus rechecking bags, security lines long and slow... totally ate up 3 hour connection. No lounge time. Awful experience.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Does anyone have a link for the Air China Lounge at PVG. Do *Gold Members in Coach have access as well? Thanks and Safe Travels
Yes - was just in there last week *G on United in coach.

Reports of improved lounge are accurate (don't have basis to compare) - reasonably comfy and light. No views, edible food (not much more than that). I'd say better than the Air China lounge in PEK overall, but not nearly as good as UA in HKG. Didn't check out the bar downstairs, just the food upstairs. You can always hit the Burger King outside if that's more your thing.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes - was just in there last week *G on United in coach.

Reports of improved lounge are accurate (don't have basis to compare) - reasonably comfy and light. No views, edible food (not much more than that). I'd say better than the Air China lounge in PEK overall, but not nearly as good as UA in HKG. Didn't check out the bar downstairs, just the food upstairs. You can always hit the Burger King outside if that's more your thing.
Had a virtually identical take on the lounge as above. Food was meh, but the bar was nice and the bar tender made a really good Bloody Mary.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Counter Hours in PVG

Does it just stay open continuously from checkin for morning PVG-SFO to night PVG-SFO or does it close intermittently throughout the day?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Does it just stay open continuously from checkin for morning PVG-SFO to night PVG-SFO or does it close intermittently throughout the day?
Asia Pacific & Australia Airport check-in counters

Shanghai, People's Republic of China
Pu Dong International Airport (PVG)
Terminal 2
Shanghai 201202
Summer: 9:10 a.m. – 11:10 a.m.; 12:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.; 5:10 p.m. – 7:10 p.m. Daily
Winter: 10:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.; 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.; 5:25 p.m. – 7:25 p.m. Daily
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That has to be outdated because it provides no check in times for the new 12:30am flight to SFO....although it would seem to suggest that the counter does not open continuously.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
3 hr before departure

For 12:30 am SFO flight, the check-in counter won't open until 9:30 pm. That is, 3 hours before your departure time.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
For 12:30 am SFO flight, the check-in counter won't open until 9:30 pm. That is, 3 hours before your departure time.
Would they let me check in if I turned up at 7pm?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Would they let me check in if I turned up at 7pm?
I don't believe you're limited to checking in during the window for "your" flight.

The windows appear to be timed to allow checkin from 3 to 1 hour before each departure, other than as noted the 12:30am flight to SFO.

SFO (858) dep. 12:10p
ORD (836) dep. 3:05p
EWR (87) dep. 3:45p
LAX (199) dep 8:10p
SFO (890) dep. 12:30a
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
I don't believe you're limited to checking in during the window for "your" flight. ...
UA has a general rule of no bags accepted more than 4 hours prior to departure -- however some stations may be more lenient.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:00 am

At PVG they will not let you check in earlier outside your flight window if you have bags.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:54 am

3Hr 20min Between flights

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
PVG is confusing and a pain in the butt on a transfer. Last time I had 90 mins between flights and barely made it. You wait for your luggage, drag it through immigration, go outside, upstairs, wait for UA to print a ticket & check luggage, then through security about 3 times, and off to your gate where you go through security again on the gangway. Never again ! wj
Hi whackyjacky,

I will be arriving Shanghai Pudong Terminal 1 and have 3hrs and 20mins to make it to my United Flight in Terminal 2. Since you've been to this airport, any insights on how i could expedite lining up with immigration, obtaining a transit visa, claiming my checked luggage, run to the shuttle for a ride to Terminal 2 and checking in to United?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ana

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.