Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1353513636
United does not have a lounge in PVG. There is a Star Alliance Gold lounge near Gate 71 (United flights leave from 80s gates typically), which are <5 minute walk. Lounge is up escalator and past a food court and perched over the landside part of the terminal. It has no views.

Entry floor has a bar with a decent selection of liquor. Upper floor has buffet food with limited selections. Wifi and newspapers available. Showers available (4 stalls at least).

related thread
Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong
Print Wikipost

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 1:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GS8101
I only know one lounge operated by Shanghai Airline. Not sure your standard of good food, but hot noodle soup plus some salade, as mentioned upthread, is good enough for me.
I'm not a food snob by any means, but those noodles (hot or not), let alone the wilted salad certainly don't make the bar (i.e. KFC is FAR better).

That having been said, I'm more curious to hear about how and where you were able to sleep in that place.

Last edited by moondog; May 3, 2014 at 1:47 am
Old May 8, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by SeisSpeed
Hello, lately have had good luck with using other Star Alliance lounges with F ticket. Not sure on the PVG layout? Coming in the airport itself did not look promising. How is the UA GS lounge, if not good any star alliance alternatives?

I know some say you can not access star alliance F lounges with a UA boarding pass, but I do it all the time with a smile and a friendly conversation about star alliance.

Also for the record; most international lounge staff are very friendly. It is the US lounges that operate like they are guarding the vault of fine art and valuables that must not be gazed upon.

TIA
There is a new Air China international FC lounge, I believe it is #71. I was in there last week and it is much nicer than FM's FC lounge. I accessed it on AC FC, but I think you should be able to get in if on UA. You can ask when you check in.
Old May 10, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by uanj
There is a new Air China international FC lounge, I believe it is #71. I was in there last week and it is much nicer than FM's FC lounge. I accessed it on AC FC, but I think you should be able to get in if on UA. You can ask when you check in.
I'm in this lounge (#71) right now. There's a business side and a first side; I'm in the first side. It looks brand spanking new. There's so much new leather in here, it smells like a new Lexus. They appear to have a full bar with Moet Chandon and have a little menu of italian and chinese noodle dishes. Haven't tried either (since it's 9am).

Last edited by porciuscato; May 22, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'm in this lounge (#71) right now. There's a business side and a first side; I'm in the first side. It looks brand spanking new. There's so much new leather in here, it smell like a new Lexus. They appear to have a full bar with Moet Chandon and have a little menu of italian and chinese noodle dishes. Haven't tried either (since it's 9am).
I'm in the lounge now for the first time, too. It is very, very nice. Still smells of new leather. I've already heard the champagne cork pop twice. Signs are posted on the tables, "To ensure you a quiet resting circumstance, there will be no boarding announcement in our lounge..."

The restrooms are all private. There are shower rooms. Dining tables and chairs with place settings are arranged in the bar area. Snacks are available now, but it appears that they are between breakfast and lunch service, as the chafing dishes are empty.

This is a change I like!
Old May 22, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
I'm in the lounge now for the first time, too. It is very, very nice.
Yup. I have to say I like that Shanghai lounge a lot better than the SFO one, which was quite crowded when I was there and had truly mediocre snacks.

In fact, it seems like the average overseas lounge (not first class) is better then the SFO Global First lounge. And don't even get me started with the Lufthansa First terminal in FRA......
Old May 23, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I stopped by the business lounge side last week and I was NOT impressed. It was VERY crowded ( around 11am-Noon on a Thursday) and the food was pretty minimal. Drink choices were very small and I eventually found where they were hiding the minimal liquor around the corner. They had a couple bottles of self-serve wine. Now there is a liquor bar on the first floor but I didn't try that to see if anything was complimentary. Maybe I just needed to look harder but I didn't have much time to spend there.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Just tried out the new Air China business lounge (UA GS, going PVG-LAX on UA199). Was there from 530pm until 7:15pm.

-- Far better food quality and food choices than the old lounge. Delicious fried rice!
-- Everything is brand new
-- Wine plentiful but not great quality
-- Soda/beer fridge well stocked but there was a pool of water at the bottom
-- AC vents were blasting, making it uncomfortably cold in certain spots
-- Crowded but you could still easily find a seat with no one sitting next to you
-- No view of the tarmac.

Overall this is a massive upgrade compared to the old lounge, but you do lose a view out the window and there are some bugs to be worked out.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by harryhood
Just tried out the new Air China business lounge (UA GS, going PVG-LAX on UA199). Was there from 530pm until 7:15pm.

-- Far better food quality and food choices than the old lounge. Delicious fried rice!
-- Crowded but you could still easily find a seat with no one sitting next to you

Overall this is a massive upgrade compared to the old lounge, but you do lose a view out the window and there are some bugs to be worked out.
More will be worked in than worked out.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Just tried out the new Air China business lounge (UA GS, going PVG-LAX on UA199).

Is the lounge enclosed or is like the typical lounge in Chinese airports that is open to the terminal so you can hear every terminal-wide announcement?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Is the lounge enclosed or is like the typical lounge in Chinese airports that is open to the terminal so you can hear every terminal-wide announcement?
Closed and they don't announce any departures. In fact it's set off from the terminal in part of the administrative building, on the 2nd floor.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just curious, what has happened to the old *A lounge (Shanghai Airlines Lounge) #77? Are they going to renovate it, change operators, or just continue to operate as the Shanghai Airlines Lounge? Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I stopped by the business lounge side last week and I was NOT impressed. It was VERY crowded ( around 11am-Noon on a Thursday) and the food was pretty minimal. Drink choices were very small and I eventually found where they were hiding the minimal liquor around the corner. They had a couple bottles of self-serve wine. Now there is a liquor bar on the first floor but I didn't try that to see if anything was complimentary. Maybe I just needed to look harder but I didn't have much time to spend there.
I cannot speak for the quality or variety of the bar but drinks are complimentary.

Just curious, were you traveling in BF as a GS on UA? Normally they would give you a lounge invitation for the FC lounge.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by uanj
I cannot speak for the quality or variety of the bar but drinks are complimentary.

Just curious, were you traveling in BF as a GS on UA? Normally they would give you a lounge invitation for the FC lounge.
I was, but got no invitation. Good to know for next time.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:07 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by glu800
Just curious, what has happened to the old *A lounge (Shanghai Airlines Lounge) #77? Are they going to renovate it, change operators, or just continue to operate as the Shanghai Airlines Lounge? Thanks.
Who cares!!!!! Kidding...I'm sure it's still there. But from now on, even if not flying *A, I'm going to do all I can to get into the new CA Lounge.

I experienced the Business Class side a few weeks ago...Color me IMPRESSED. I didn't think the Chinese had it in them to make such a modern lounge, with actual edible food! Loved the hot sour soup. The salad-making things were a little weak, but the other hot dishes were palatable. The sweets were, of course, lacking and of poor quality (I just expect this in China). My only other knock is that the beverages were lacking...Most lounges have 2-3 kinds of cold tea, iced coffee, etc. Here, the only non-carbonated beverages were water and (room temperature) juice in small cups from a spigot.

But all in all, very large, very comfortable, decent amount of power outlets for charging, clean, modern and a great spread!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Hmm... yeah I know this is all kind of pointless... but I'm still curious. So assuming the Shanghai Airlines Lounge No. 77 is still open, then what is going happen to the old Air China Lounge at C90 then? Are both lounges going to remain open? Maybe I'm just confused about all the different lounges at PVG. Can someone who frequents the airport clarify?

The brand new Air China Lounge No. 71 is located near Gate 71 4th floor mezzanine correct?

Thanks for any information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.