Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced to gate check rollerboard on ERJ-145

Forced to gate check rollerboard on ERJ-145

Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
So the crew bags we see in the overhead are superlight weight, or exempt from FAA regs, or? Do tell...
On the 145 at least the crew bags in the closet are accounted for in the weight and balance program.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
Wouldn't gate checking be easier? They usually get the bags off right away. It's not the hell you get waiting for luggage coming off the conveyor belt.
I have to give this a because "right away" is never something I would use to describe the amount of time it takes to get gate-checked bags.

Especially at IAD in the winter when you may be standing outside in the cold waiting for the cart to come over.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon
Especially at IAD in the winter when you may be standing outside in the cold waiting for the cart to come over.
+1 to this. I always try to not gate check bags, but if I am forced to then I actually stay in the plane until I can visually see my bag on the cart. No awkwardly standing on the jetbridge, stay in the heat of the plane, etc.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by zdog2x
...Lastly, someone asked why not just gate check it? I can't count the number of times I've had an hour+ connection in DEN, that got whittled down to 20-30 mins due to weather, de-icing in DRO, or traffic control. Waiting an extra 5 minutes to get a gate checked bag can make all the difference when you have to run down to gate B24 from B90! My Orvis and Northface bags have saved me many a night in Denver... at least there is the Westin now if it happens!
It may not help much, but as a IK you should have a yellow handle wrap that will (usually) make your bag the first to come up.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questable.html
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:54 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
It may not help much, but as a IK you should have a yellow handle wrap that will (usually) make your bag the first to come up.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questable.html
Usually is the key word. Which did not happen in YUL, where all bags were released at the same time.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gimlei
I've taken the puddle jumper from EWR to DCA and back every week for the last few months. I have a small rollerboard that is just narrow enough to fit into the overhead bin of the ERJ 145, and so I always take it on board with me. Today, however, the flight attendant refused to allow me on board with it, even though I explained that it does fit, that I do it every week, and there was a ton of space as I was one of the first to board. She would have none of it and said that rollerboards were not allowed on board. I am wondering, is this an actual policy of United Express that's just very rarely enforced, or an overzealous employee? Does anyone know?
Near-identical situation for me earlier this year. The FA refused to allow me to bring on a legal-sized carry-on. I had already queried the gate agent who told me I'd be fine. It does have wheels, but they can be covered with a sewn and velcro'd cloth flap, an intgrated part of the carry-on. Behind me were multiple passengers with larger and bulkier items who were not turned back. After boarding was completed, the bins were probably about 50% full. Complained to the pilot after landing who said "You should've elevated it to me beforehand" because he would've nipped it in the bud. I wrote to United. Received an apology e-mail and a $100 voucher.

Last edited by Grog; Dec 21, 2016 at 8:55 am
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I have a small TravelPro "Rolling Tote" that fits in the overheads on the -145s and -200s. I always retract the handle and carry it past the threshold rather than rolling it on. It looks more like a small suitcase than a rollaboard when I do that, and I've never had an issue.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
As a former XJT ERJ FA at least once a day some pushy passenger insisted their bag fit and 9 times out of 10 it didn't and it created congestion in the aisle. Every once in awhile a bag that didn't fit actually broke the bin. This happened once a month. This would usually cause at least a 30 minute delay while maintenance came out and fixed the IKEA-esque bin.
So here's how I drew the line:
Start-Middle of the trip: sure bring it on, break the bin, I don't care if we're late as I have no where to be and you're only screwing yourself and everyone else that may have a connection. Maybe some people tomorrow to if we get our rest extended due to your actions. Also my contract had pay protection if I cancel or time out.
End of Trip: don't even test me with those bags because you're screwing my chances of getting home.
At $19/HR for 80/hours a month that's about all you can expect. It was a transition job after college while looking for another. Glad I did it but very glad I left it.

Whenever someone used the argument "I fly the ERJ all the time" I usually apologized because that must suck. I know it did for me. 710 flights in 2 years on that plane.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by bstndance
As a former XJT ERJ FA at least once a day some pushy passenger insisted their bag fit and 9 times out of 10 it didn't and it created congestion in the aisle. Every once in awhile a bag that didn't fit actually broke the bin. This happened once a month. This would usually cause at least a 30 minute delay while maintenance came out and fixed the IKEA-esque bin.
Start-Middle of the trip: sure bring it on, break the bin, I don't care if we're late as I have no where to be and you're only screwing yourself and everyone else that may have a connection. Maybe some people tomorrow to if we get our rest extended due to your actions. Also my contract had pay protection if I cancel or time out.
End of Trip: don't even test me with those bags because you're screwing my chances of getting home.
At $19/HR for 80/hours a month that's about all you can expect. It was a transition job after college while looking for another. Glad I did it but very glad I left it.

Whenever someone used the argument "I fly the ERJ all the time" I usually apologized because that must suck. I know it did for me. 710 flights in 2 years on that plane.
Congratulations on getting a better job!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by bstndance

You mean like this...

Happened to me about two years ago CHS-IAD and I should have shot video

Local mechanic came onboard (as you can see) but couldn't get the bin opened and eventually had to break the latch causing the flight to go mx. The flight eventually canceled and flew as a ferry flight with only crew up to IAD with all of us put on the next two scheduled flights to IAD (and fortunately, I had padded my conx at IAD )
Attached Images  
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
You mean like this...

Local mechanic came onboard (as you can see) but couldn't get the bin opened and eventually had to break the latch causing the flight to go mx. The flight eventually canceled and flew as a ferry flight with only crew up to IAD with all of us put on the next two scheduled flights to IAD (and fortunately, I had padded my conx at IAD )
If I was the cause of delaying a flight because of my luggage, I would be very embarrassed.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
You mean like this...

This is a bit of a digression, but still interesting for a few of us to know, I would think:

If people have wheeled bags and aren't permitted to bring it on, instead being forced to check it, then 1) the bin goes empty.

but...if someone brings it on and for unknown reasons the bin is jammed and the latch has to be broken, then 2) the bin goes empty...AND the flight is (according to this post) cancelled.

Why would this be a reason forcing a cancellation?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Grog
If people have wheeled bags and aren't permitted to bring it on, instead being forced to check it, then 1) the bin goes empty.

but...if someone brings it on and for unknown reasons the bin is jammed and the latch has to be broken, then 2) the bin goes empty...AND the flight is (according to this post) cancelled.

A broken, unable to close bin, is likely a violation of the aircraft certification. Also the open bin door could interfere with an evacuation, The aircraft is unable to fly when the conditions it was certified for are not meet. Believe this similiar to the reason that seats can not be reclined for take-on and landing.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A broken, unable to close bin, is likely a violation of the aircraft certification. Also the open bin door could interfere with an evacuation, The aircraft is unable to fly when the conditions it was certified for are not meet. Believe this similiar to the reason that seats can not be reclined for take-on and landing.
Agreed ^ and the way it was explained to me* is that if an overhead bin is broken but can be closed and latched, then it can be marked as "inop" with the "inop tape" (similar to what goes across a seat) but if the overhead bin door is broken and cannot be secured in the closed and latched position, the flight can't fly with passengers (and given this was an outstation without perhaps a full compliment of mechanics and parts,nit was best to cancel the flight?)

*just the messenger
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
I'd guess a lack of parts on hand for a repair, a lack of duty time for the crew to wait for a repair, or 14 CFR 121.628.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.