Wiki Posts
Search

IT weirdness today? Shenanigans?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
IT weirdness today? Shenanigans?

So I am scheduled on PHX-IAH UA 235. Delayed massively due to weather in Houston. Used RPUs for me and my partner since this was the end of a vacation. Didnt check in online since the upgrades cleared 3 days ago, and knew we had a delay, so flexibility maybe a good thing. I checked on flight status on my phone from lunch, and the reservation has completely disappeared!!! I quickly called the 1K desk and they told me that someone LOGGED INTO MY ACCOUNT had cancelled the flights 20 minutes prior to my call. It wasn't me of course, and in the interim someone had been moved into our first class seats. So, as I see it, there are options: 1) Someone really had hacked my account, just to be an a$$. No other activity has occurred. I changed all passwords as soon as I could, and no strange activity has occurred anywhere but Untied (bank, email, Hilton, etc). 2) Someone at United is moving things due to irrops without being "clean" (moved a HVF into our seats and cancelled us just to fix one problem, but knowing there would be another problem for another agent). The electronic "paper trail" at UA says that the cancellation was initiated on my end.....which just didn't happen. I will of course send in a complaint so that the electronic signature of events are investigated, there are obvious issues if it is a hack or UA shenanigans. Long story, quick question: Anyone have a similar issue?

Last edited by tabTX; Dec 18, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
so you tried to check in prior to the original check-in deadline and your entire reservation had disappeared? That sounds very fishy. The only time I have seen this is when they take someone off a flight because of no-show. When was the check-in deadline and when did you try to check in?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No, but I've had a relatively similar situation with AC before.

Wife and I were getting ready to board our flight. I had booked us priority seats (or whatever they call them on AC). I realized that my wife was no longer sitting next to me, and her seat was non-priority. I usually would have noticed when looking at the BPs at check in, but we were rushing since we were close to the cutoff, agents were having issues with something plus I had SSSS, so was trying to get to the next step as fast as possible.

Agent told me the code he saw said I had gone online to change the seats. He stood by his explanation despite my insistence that it was impossible for me to do if I wanted, since it was part of a UA ticket which means I couldn't have gone online myself to do it before check in, and I couldn't do it for online check in since it blocked me immediately due to SSSS.

Refused to change anything...luckily the FA on board worked to get us seated properly.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
No, but I've had a relatively similar situation with AC before.

Wife and I were getting ready to board our flight. I had booked us priority seats (or whatever they call them on AC). I realized that my wife was no longer sitting next to me, and her seat was non-priority. I usually would have noticed when looking at the BPs at check in, but we were rushing since we were close to the cutoff, agents were having issues with something plus I had SSSS, so was trying to get to the next step as fast as possible.

Agent told me the code he saw said I had gone online to change the seats. He stood by his explanation despite my insistence that it was impossible for me to do if I wanted, since it was part of a UA ticket which means I couldn't have gone online myself to do it before check in, and I couldn't do it for online check in since it blocked me immediately due to SSSS.

Refused to change anything...luckily the FA on board worked to get us seated properly.
that sounds like a seat snafu. The OP said the ticket was CANCELLED.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
so you tried to check in prior to the original check-in deadline and your entire reservation had disappeared? That sounds very fishy. The only time I have seen this is when they take someone off a flight because of no-show. When was the check-in deadline and when did you try to check in?
Original Flight was at 3:03PM. I noticed on the app that the flights had disappeared (were cancelled) at Noon. I can t imagine that it was my negligence at all.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tabTX
Original Flight was at 3:03PM. I noticed on the app that the flights had disappeared (were cancelled) at Noon. I can t imagine that it was my negligence at all.
so was the ticket gone or the flights removed? It sounds like the ticket was still there and intact, but someone took the flights out of the reservation ... this is tricky to do online, I bet it was someone from UA ... they can track this down. If the ticket was refunded ... that is more interesting because you should have gotten an Email about it.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

The tickets were gone. The woman on the 1K desk said they had been outright CANCELLED. She was able to reinstate them, maybe because I caught it within 20 mins?

One other data point, though the tickets were linked on UA.com, they were separate PNRs......

I am really thinking shenanigans at this point.

From what I've seen at PHX today (an outstation for sure) - there are big issues in the UA system today.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The tickets were gone. The woman on the 1K desk said they had been outright CANCELLED. She was able to reinstate them, maybe because I caught it within 20 mins?

One other data point, though the tickets were linked on UA.com, they were separate PNRs......

I am really thinking shenanigans at this point.

From what I've seen at PHX today (an outstation for sure) - there are big issues in the UA system today.
yeah, if the entire ticket was refunded ... that is clearly something UA should investigate quite thoroughly.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cfischer
yeah, if the entire ticket was refunded ... that is clearly something UA should investigate quite thoroughly.
UA messed up 7 of my future bookings during their usual Saturday IT parade.
Fortunately I always check on Sunday and GS fixed it all for me.
So it could be an IT glitch.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
UA messed up 7 of my future bookings during their usual Saturday IT parade.
Fortunately I always check on Sunday and GS fixed it all for me.
So it could be an IT glitch.
What is "their usual Saturday IT parade"?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
What is "their usual Saturday IT parade"?
It's when anything from random seat changes (most often) to entire ticket cancellations (rare) occur. Most of us are now in the habit of checking our pending itineraries every Saturday morning.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JBord
It's when anything from random seat changes (most often) to entire ticket cancellations (rare) occur. Most of us are now in the habit of checking our pending itineraries every Saturday morning.
This
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Then I have been lucky. I am IAH captive, so been flying CO/UA for 20 years. This is a first time issue for me.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Then I have been lucky. I am IAH captive, so been flying CO/UA for 20 years. This is a first time issue for me.
If you've ever had a schedule change, it has likely loaded on a Saturday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.