Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellations due to Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Cancellations due to Maintenance

Was flying IAH>LGA yesterday (where there was some snow/rain so delays) and my first flight was delayed a couple hours, then cancelled due to "Maintence", rebooked on the next LGA flight and a couple hours later it was cancelled due to "Maintence".

I just find it pretty suspicious - so the question is why cancel the flight under the guise of a maintenance issue as opposed to just saying it's cancelled due to weather/crew/scheduling etc...
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
You are lucky. They could've blamed weather but were honest.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Very strange post. Maintenance means they owe you much more help than if they claimed "weather."
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rbcgerard
I just find it pretty suspicious - so the question is why cancel the flight under the guise of a maintenance issue as opposed to just saying it's cancelled due to weather/crew/scheduling etc...
Maintenance cancellations are 100% in favor of the customer, not the airline. Basically, the airline doesn't have to do anything in the event of a weather cancellation, but they're completely on the hook for compensation in case of maintenance.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Very strange post. Maintenance means they owe you much more help than if they claimed "weather."
That's exactly what I don't understand - I suppose it could have been a coincidence, but it felt more like an operational decision - but was wondering what if any upside there would be
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
was wondering what if any upside there would be
None. It is a negative for UA. Maintenance delay sparks all sorts of contractual and customer service obligations for UA, whereas weather creates basically none.

The incentive is for UA to characterize a true mx as weather to dodge the obligations that arise when a cancel is due to mx.

That's why this theory makes zero sense.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
What makes it suspicious? What would be the benefit to UA in claiming maintenance issues when weather issues could be blamed?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I suppose it could have been a coincidence, but it felt more like an operational decision
There's no advantage to declaring a maintenance issue when there is none. It's like peading guilty to a crime of which you are innocent. Airplanes are complex pieces of machinery. Maintenance issues are frequent.

Unless you have proof that the airplane was airworthy, why is it necessary to assume the airline is lying?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
None. It is a negative for UA.
Thanks that's all I was looking for
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Surely no one on FT would ever suggest that UA lies to its valued customers and blames a delay/cancelation on weather when it is anything else (gasp)
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Lying?

We are talking about united airlines here right?!
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maintenance cancellations are 100% in favor of the customer, not the airline. Basically, the airline doesn't have to do anything in the event of a weather cancellation, but they're completely on the hook for compensation in case of maintenance.
Well, technically not. US doesn't have anything similar to EU 261. Legally speaking, I believe, they don't have really have any requirement to do anything but get you on the next available flight, even with MX.

Realistically speaking is a different story, as they're is more leniency under the COC, and they will generally do more to get you on your way or compensate you when necessary, even if they don't do it voluntarily, they almost always will when you ask (I.e. Hotel/meal vouchers, put you OAL when it'll get you to your destination faster then UA can on heir own metal, etc.).
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Lying?

We are talking about united airlines here right?!
Well I guess this is a case where the airline could have mislabeled for their advantage and did not -- maybe need to rethink some assumptions.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are probably not going to see any new regulations for a few years but I wonder if they should standardize the delay/cancellation reasons across the industry and hold the airlines responsible for coding the delays/cancellations correctly.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Well, technically not. US doesn't have anything similar to EU 261. Legally speaking, I believe, they don't have really have any requirement to do anything but get you on the next available flight, even with MX.
Weather is Force Majeure, mx is not. A Force Majeure Event is governed by CoC Rule 24(D), which basically obliges UA to do nothing, whereas IRROPS are governed by Rule 24(E), which is much more passenger friendly. Further, IRROPS give rise to a duty of care under Rule 24(F), which does not exist in case of wx. Finally, while not covered in the CoC, mx gives rights under UA's internal policies concerning customer service compensation which do not exist in the case of wx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.