Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Baggage sizer use at the gate? (No longer at gates after 23 Jan 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Baggage sizer use at the gate? (No longer at gates after 23 Jan 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'd love to see the overhead bins sub-divided with a labeled space for each seat. Especially these newer bins that can hold 5 bags... a nice little divider and a label for each space would make all of this a non-issue. Eliminate the need to board early as well.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I heard GAs announce that sizers would be used and even saw sizers used at EWR and PBI in March on full flights.
To avoid hassles on connections, abusing my rights to carry-on space and long baggage pick-ups I have and use the right sized carry-on bags. My old TravelPro carry-on claimed to be the correct size and it could be squished in the sizer if not stuffed or expanded, but when I took a tape measure to it I found that it was not exactly the right size due to wheels and handles.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I'd love to see the overhead bins sub-divided with a labeled space for each seat. Especially these newer bins that can hold 5 bags... a nice little divider and a label for each space would make all of this a non-issue. Eliminate the need to board early as well.
+1
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
When not stuffed, my carry on fits the sizer just fine, but quite often it is quite full, and thus oversize, but still fits (correctly) just fine in the overhead. I've never had United ask me to check it. However, when I was traveling to Vienna last fall via LHR (in business), Austrian had me check it with their sizer on my connection LHR-VIE, and made me check the bag.

Since I had checked baggage anyway, this didn't cause me any additional delay, and was no big deal. I wanted to have it with me during my layovers so I could shower, change clothes, etc. So I was glad I wasn't asked to check it sooner. I have seldom flown internationally with connections. Is it common for the European carriers to be more stringent in their enforcement than the US carriers?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
When not stuffed, my carry on fits the sizer just fine, but quite often it is quite full, and thus oversize, but still fits (correctly) just fine in the overhead. I've never had United ask me to check it. However, when I was traveling to Vienna last fall via LHR (in business), Austrian had me check it with their sizer on my connection LHR-VIE, and made me check the bag.

Since I had checked baggage anyway, this didn't cause me any additional delay, and was no big deal. I wanted to have it with me during my layovers so I could shower, change clothes, etc. So I was glad I wasn't asked to check it sooner. I have seldom flown internationally with connections. Is it common for the European carriers to be more stringent in their enforcement than the US carriers?
I don't have enough experience with the EU carriers to grt a good handle, but I'd guess they are. Though the bigger difference is the actual size allowance is different than the US carriers.

In the US, UA is typical with a 22" max length, while most European carriers are 21" IIRC. You'll note some bag manufacturers have US vs. EU style carryons, EU are typically shorter, but wider. I know Briggs and Riley does this, at least.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, SPG, HHonors
I've noticed it's more common on sold out flights. I did have one experience where they were sizing most folks bags. I got to the front of the line (I was in the back of boarding group 2) and she went to ask me to size my bag, but saw my cliche yellow "1K member" bag holder then backed off.

Still to this day wonder if that's what made her change her mind, or if she just felt it was small enough.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
That would be wonderful but until that's figured out, I'd be quite happy with the FAs ensuring that backpacks, briefcases and purses don't go in the overhead space.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
sort of like what they do with bins in 744 First Class. I think that makes a lot of sense. And, because it makes sense, United won't do it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Lani1
Had this happen to me a few times, just agree with agent and they will ask you to take down ramp after placing luggage tag, remove tag and take on plane after you walk past them
Depends.

Not at a station which prints an accountable bag tag for gate checks. When the bag shows up as "missing" between the printer at the gate and the scanner on the ramp, it's a real nuisance when a supervisor + GA start paging pax and asking about their bags.

It's inevitably some self-entitled GS sitting in F and it causes delays because the flight can't be closed out and w&b calculated until the hold is closed, but there's a point to be made an it only takes this happening a few times to set an easy example.

Anybody who can afford an air ticket can afford a fifty cent tape measure and avoid this issue well before they get to the airport. This isn't an issue about OH space, it's about dimensions.

I don't believe that there is any reason to section off the OH. Instead, when a bag is gate-checked for non-compliance, there ought to be a significant penalty fee (no waivers for elites, CC's and "special" people). The bag should be coded to baggage services at the destination airport and the fee collected there so that there is no boarding delay. Let the offender spend his day waiting in line.

Pavlov's dogs learned, so can a typical passenger.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Depends.

Instead, when a bag is gate-checked for non-compliance, there ought to be a significant penalty fee (no waivers for elites, CC's and "special" people).
Completely agree. I believe the only items that should be checked free at the gate are those that are carry-on size, but won't fit in the bins because they are full (which is less likely anyway if they actually enforced carry on rules). Of course, special gate checked items that come up on the jetbridge at the end of the flight should also remain free (pink tagged bags - strollers, car seats, wheel chairs, etc.).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:09 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Completely agree. I believe the only items that should be checked free at the gate are those that are carry-on size, but won't fit in the bins because they are full (which is less likely anyway if they actually enforced carry on rules). Of course, special gate checked items that come up on the jetbridge at the end of the flight should also remain free (pink tagged bags - strollers, car seats, wheel chairs, etc.).
Well as long as they enforce this across EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE seems fine with me, now that I got a bag that fits. As noted when you don't treat people the same or bend rules for some rather randomly that is when unrest and revolt occurs.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Depends.

Not at a station which prints an accountable bag tag for gate checks. When the bag shows up as "missing" between the printer at the gate and the scanner on the ramp, it's a real nuisance when a supervisor + GA start paging pax and asking about their bags.

It's inevitably some self-entitled GS sitting in F and it causes delays because the flight can't be closed out and w&b calculated until the hold is closed, but there's a point to be made an it only takes this happening a few times to set an easy example.

Anybody who can afford an air ticket can afford a fifty cent tape measure and avoid this issue well before they get to the airport. This isn't an issue about OH space, it's about dimensions.

I don't believe that there is any reason to section off the OH. Instead, when a bag is gate-checked for non-compliance, there ought to be a significant penalty fee (no waivers for elites, CC's and "special" people). The bag should be coded to baggage services at the destination airport and the fee collected there so that there is no boarding delay. Let the offender spend his day waiting in line.

Pavlov's dogs learned, so can a typical passenger.
Do they have a check for passengers' bags gone missing? I think they only check for bags with passengers gone missing.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Do they have a check for passengers' bags gone missing? I think they only check for bags with passengers gone missing.
FYI, they don't even do the latter on domestic flights, as its not required. PPBM is only required for international flights.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:59 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by emcampbe
FYI, they don't even do the latter on domestic flights, as its not required. PPBM is only required for international flights.
Nice, next time I'm just going to accept the tag and put it on my nice carry-on and walk my to be checked bag down and right on to the airplane is it fits and fits nicely thank you, like probably another 100 people or more behind me

After all I've never known airlines cared so much that though I'm on the airplane that my bag is MIA and didn't make it. I can see that the alternative that my bag is on some random plane but I'm not could be an issue, but less so if it is your more typical airline screw up sending the bag off to the wrong place or missing me.

Last edited by chipmaster; Apr 21, 2017 at 4:13 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Digging up this old thread.

Did anyone else read the news that UA is removing all carry-on baggage sizers from the gate area on January 23, 2020? I don't really get this move. The memo apparently tells the GAs to use their discretion about whether a bag will fit or not and to be "customer friendly".

This is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. If a GA wants to tell a passenger that their bag is too big and won't fit, what "real" and substantive thing can they point to and prove to the customer that the bag won't fit? I don't get the move at all.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.