Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need 100K miles to join Million mile club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need 100K miles to join Million mile club

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by sbm12
Just not sufficient value to "invest" in racing to 100K BIS miles to get there. That's a heavy cost in time and money that can likely be better pushed towards investing in the benefits one desires on a per trip basis.
I think those of us who advocate a more "leisurely" approach toward 1MM agree with you.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm about 30k away; if it weren't for the bounty of A, P, and Z fares I've been buying the past 3 years, I'd have had it 2 years ago. To me, the value is that I will still be flying 1K, but will be able to name my no-status wife as a 1K, too, so that when she travels on her own, or travels on separate tickets from me (often award vs. my revenue ticket), she'll get all the 1K benefits.

For the OP, I'd suggest TPACs, but the problem IMHO is comfort. You're talking several Y roundtrips (up to 6-ish). Although there are relatively cheap business class fares to be had, the problem is you don't get any benefit from the extra PQM in terms of MM status. You could of course book a mix of paid C and Y fares, and use the GPUs you'll earn to upgrade the Y fares.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
You could of course book a mix of paid C and Y fares, and use the GPUs you'll earn to upgrade the Y fares.
That's what I'd probably aim to do. The challenge is making 1K spend on discount tix.

Business travel was approx 7% of my PQM this year, but 26% of my spend.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by exerda
I'm about 30k away; if it weren't for the bounty of A, P, and Z fares I've been buying the past 3 years, I'd have had it 2 years ago. To me, the value is that I will still be flying 1K, but will be able to name my no-status wife as a 1K, too, so that when she travels on her own, or travels on separate tickets from me (often award vs. my revenue ticket), she'll get all the 1K benefits.

It has been a wonderful thing to my wife to have her own status. She views it as something she earned by working through my absences (she's right).
It has been the best benefit so far to being a million-miler.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I made MM the easy way, with PMCO just before the merger, when basically all elite miles counted. There's a lot of {talk} on this board that talk about UA cutting back on the decent benefits given now. Anything is possible, but there's not much in for UA to piss off a bunch of people when many of the benefits are available for those with the right CC.

Are the benefits as good as Platinum or 1K....No. But it's sure nice to know there's always an E+ seat available, Premier phone line, international lounges, etc. etc. and for my spouse also.

So definitely put it in your plans, but one way to approach the 100K you need, it to do 50K a year for two years. Then, at least you'll have the gold benefit for one person until you hit MM

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2016 at 8:22 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the posters
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I'm casually thinking about sprinting to 1000K. )
I think you mean 10K. Or 1000k.

Originally Posted by sbm12
The nominal cost to MR for 100K BIS miles will almost certainly be higher than buying E+ or lounge access (or just discounted premium fares) on an ad hoc basis. If you're flying enough that the one-off spending costs too much you are likely very close to having status anyways.

Investing in status as a leisure customer rarely makes financial sense these days.
This, with a caveat.

If you have 100k to go, there's no reason to rush to it - no matter what you do, you're going to have to fly 100k miles before you get to 1MM, so there's no advantage to rushing to it, you're going to spend the same money and sit in the same seats either way. If you try and rush it or cheap it, you're just going to be paying money to go places you don't want to go when you don't want to go there.

The caveat is that if you currently have status and grab a CC waiver, you can do 50k in 2017 and 50k in 2018 and stay gold the whole time, which keeps at booking E+ and free bags and the rare upgrade for you during the process.

Or put another way, IF you still have elite status, every flight you can do in 2017 comes with free E+ and bags (maybe $500-600 roundtrip in value, depending), and if you make 50k this year, you get that same value for anything you do in 2018.

But even if you only make 40k in 2018, just take the next flights you want to take after that on United and you'll be there quickly.

But yeah, if you're not currently milking status, just fly United when you fly and you'll get there. Or don't - even if the occasional flight goes to AA or SW or whatever because it's cheaper, it only costs you one similar United flight without status before you make 1MM.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO-SSA
It's worth it. I'm retired and made Million Miler a few months ago. I rest easy now knowing I'm lifetime Gold without ever doing a year-end mileage run again in my life, that I have lifetime access to Economy Plus seats, that I can name a companion to share the benefits and that I get the occasional upgrade (my companion and I were just upgraded outbound and return on a trip to Mexico). Go for it.
You can rest easy for now. Until they devalue it to lifetime silver.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 8MiHi
It has been a wonderful thing to my wife to have her own status. She views it as something she earned by working through my absences (she's right).
It has been the best benefit so far to being a million-miler.
The +1 for a spouse is probably the best aspect of MM, and for a hidden reason too ...

Once I got MM, I no longer had to beg or bargain to take a mileage run. Her reluctance was quickly replaced with a "go for it!" attitude. Since my 1K became her 1K, my MR became her MR.

Of course, now that the program has been irreversibly Smisek'd, I no longer do MRs, as I could never come near the PQD requirements. So I kayak along as a group 2 Gold ...
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, jgnadler!

Reaching goals is fun. I was in a lather to hit 1MM, then 2MM. Does the glow last? No; no it does not. But I agree with some of the other posters in this thread that the perks (like status-sharing, lifetime access to *A Gold, and knowing I'll never board below Group 1 again unless Platinum goes away) have been nice to have.

I'm gunning for 3MM so I'll have lifetime 1K status without having to strive for it every year. Swanning about in the Friendly Skies sounds like a good way to spend a retirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.