Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Not necessarily. Sometimes they just place passengers that were in row 19 in other rows further back in E+, not in Row 20. There has not be a real pattern of how they reassign the seats.
I selected 19L when I made the reservation.(showing 2-4-2 on 777-300ER)

Two days from the flight, the seat map updated. Row 20 is now the first row (2-4-2) in economy. I got reassigned to 20L, which is the same seat, just a different number.

How easy is it to get out of 20L? Should I change to an aisle seat instead? 2-4-2.. there are some aisle seats in the middle row.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by geometry

Two days from the flight, the seat map updated. Row 20 is now the first row (2-4-2) in economy. I got reassigned to 20L, which is the same seat, just a different number.

How easy is it to get out of 20L? Should I change to an aisle seat instead? 2-4-2.. there are some aisle seats in the middle row.
It's very easy to get out as the space in front of the seat is big. However, it did happen once to my wife, on the previous configuration, that her neighbor put his feet on the wall so she had to wait a little to get out. That being said, after that she still chose the window seat in the bulkhead. And I do too (sometimes we are on the opposite side of the plane) just for that reason. When you are in the bulkhead, you feel like you are in your own bubble and not in a dormitory.

Anyways, it's good to know that the UA swapping seats program worked well for you and kept the same seat choice.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:30 am

It's very easy to get out as the space in front of the seat is big. However, it did happen once to my wife, on the previous configuration, that her neighbor put his feet on the wall so she had to wait a little to get out. That being said, after that she still chose the window seat in the bulkhead. And I do too (sometimes we are on the opposite side of the plane) just for that reason. When you are in the bulkhead, you feel like you are in your own bubble and not in a dormitory.

Anyways, it's good to know that the UA swapping seats program worked well for you and kept the same seat choice.
Thanks!

That's what I figured. The recline in rows 21 and 22 look quite generous, which means someone will likely lean into me personal space. 20L bulkhead will at least guarantee several feet of inviolable space in front of me and the ability to lean on the wall while I sleep.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:25 pm

UPDATE:

based on my recent experience on the 777-300ER with new premium economy 2-4-2 seating, only someone who's 6'6" or more can possibly put his feet on the bulkhead wall in front of 20A/B and 20KL. I can barely touch magazine holders at the bottom of the wall. There's enough room there for the FA to temporarily park the trolley to let someone pass(while I'm still sitting there) 20AB and 20KL are now my favourite seats until they start selling these seats are premium economy. After that, if the price is reasonable enough, I'll pay the extra for those seats.

By the way, there was one downside to those seats right now. Several people in business class walked over and asked to try our seats.(particularly those of us in row 20) UA didn't pay us to demo these new seats, so don't keep asking us if we mind getting up so you can try the seats.... the mini cabin was full... I got asked at least 6 times by people from business class. Being a nice guy who was kind of bored during the 13-hour flight, I got up and let them sit in my seat. The hot lady was fine.. but the other 5 were guys who I don't even on my softball team.

I have another 12-hour flight coming up on the 777-300ER in another couple of weeks. Seat map is currently shwoing 2-4-2.. sure hope they don't pull an aircraft swap on me.

Last edited by geometry; Jan 29, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
So UA now has a seatmap out for the 77W with Premium Plus cabin:

This is UA862, May 23, 2019.

PZ9 but RN0. So your GPU will clear to business, but you'll have to waitlist for PP

Interestingly, I see a slightly different version of this for my upcoming 77W flight -- and with the lav in front of 9L gone missing, what's more. Same view in flight status or digging into my reservation directly.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:08 am

UPDATE:
20AB and 20KL are not my favourite seats.........

By the way, there was one downside to those seats right now. Several people in business class walked over and asked to try our seats.(particularly those of us in row 20) UA didn't pay us to demo these new seats, so don't keep asking us if we mind getting up so you can try the seats.... the mini cabin was full... I got asked at least 6 times by people from business class. Being a nice guy who was kind of bored during the 13-hour flight, I got up and let them sit in my seat.
Did you try to write: '20AB and 20KL are "now" my favorite seats' and the writing program corrected you? I think that another FTer mentioned that in the Premium Plus bulkhead the only section that passengers can now reach the wall to put their feet on it is the middle section.

The rudeness of passengers. I would have told them that if they so wanted my seat I could go sit in their Business Class seats or they need to bring me one glass of Champagne. The one time my wife tried the Premium Plus seats it was half empty. The bulkhead middle section was totally empty.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
On the new PE version, the first row of E+ is now 30. Is it right to presume that the new 30 row is identical to the old 24 row? If so, presumably 30A and 30K suffer from the same cold issues as the old 24A and K?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:00 pm

Did you try to write: '20AB and 20KL are "now" my favorite seats' and the writing program corrected you? I think that another FTer mentioned that in the Premium Plus bulkhead the only section that passengers can now reach the wall to put their feet on it is the middle section.

The rudeness of passengers. I would have told them that if they so wanted my seat I could go sit in their Business Class seats or they need to bring me one glass of Champagne. The one time my wife tried the Premium Plus seats it was half empty. The bulkhead middle section was totally empty.
sorry about that.. yes, auto-correct strikes again.

Yes, Premium PLus 20ABKL seats on 777-300ER are NOW my favourite seats. Only really tall passengers can possibly put their feet on that wall.

I did try the 4 builkhead seats in the middle and they were also quite far from the wall(again, on the 777-300ER). I'm 6'1" and my feet cant go on the middle wall.. Oh wait... are my legs too short?

Don't get me wrong, I also hate it when people put their feet on the wall. I only do to to measure much legroom there is and my feet never actually make contact with the wall. On UA's A319, it's also impossible to put my feet on the bulkhead wall, but that's only because it has the worst legroom in first class.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: CX Gold

Thank you so much for pointing this out! I was also seeing the interim seat map and I had thought that Row 19 is the first row of Premium Plus!

So when your seat was moved from 19L to 20L, did you notice if 20L was occupied or not? That is, were you moved to 20L because 20L was empty, or because the software simply mapped 19-20-21 to 20-21-22? Currently I am debating whether to occupy 19L or 20L in the interim seat map. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Thank you so much for pointing this out! I was also seeing the interim seat map and I had thought that Row 19 is the first row of Premium Plus!

So when your seat was moved from 19L to 20L, did you notice if 20L was occupied or not? That is, were you moved to 20L because 20L was empty, or because the software simply mapped 19-20-21 to 20-21-22? Currently I am debating whether to occupy 19L or 20L in the interim seat map. Any suggestions?
I hope these mappings work when I lose my status on 02/01 and have a flight on 02/08 and will not longer be eligible for free E+
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:02 am

I booked my reservation back in December. I took 19L. Seat map was showing 2-4-2. Rows 19, 20 and 21 were all taken since then.

Just before I got moved automatically from 19L to 20L the day before the flight, all the seats were still taken. I assume prople who had row 19 got moved to 20.(20 to 21, 21 to 22)... but I could be wrong.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:30 pm

I booked my reservation back in December. I took 19L. Seat map was showing 2-4-2. Rows 19, 20 and 21 were all taken since then.

Just before I got moved automatically from 19L to 20L the day before the flight, all the seats were still taken. I assume people who had row 19 got moved to 20.(20 to 21, 21 to 22)... but I could be wrong.
I see. I agree with you that mapping 19-21 to 20-22 for an aircraft with Premium Plus seating is the reasonable solution. Has anyone seen alternative outcomes (i.e., kicking people in Row 19 to the back of the bus)?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:40 pm

I see. I agree with you that mapping 19-21 to 20-22 for an aircraft with Premium Plus seating is the reasonable solution. Has anyone seen alternative outcomes (i.e., kicking people in Row 19 to the back of the bus)?
There were reports of this for passengers that were not high status.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:55 pm

I am just a lowly Gold with $912 PQD last year.(and $1100 the year before that) Very far from being a "high" status. Was on a RDU-ORD flight a couple of months ago and there were more than 90 people ahead of me on the upgrade list. 150+ ahead of me on the connecting ORD-SFO flight. (which really surprised me... because it meant almost the entire narrobody plane was filled with at least 151 people with gold status or higher and paid more for their tickets than me)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:23 pm

Thanks for your reply! By `high status' you mean which status tier? Gold and above? Or even Gold members were also kicked out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.