Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Placeholder seatmap for Premium Plus
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I'm looking at the seating availability on the UA website for my flight SFO-NRT on 2/6/19 in Economy Plus and it shows 2-4-2 (rather than 3-4-3) seating in rows 19 to 21, with seats B and K missing. Is that correct? I'm wondering whether to get, say, seats 21 J and L rather than 24 J and K. I've reviewed many of the seating recommendations on SeatGuru and elsewhere, and can't quite reconcile the matter.
Those are the Premium Plus (Premium Economy) class seats. They are being sold as Economy Plus for now until the new class of service goes into effect in March 2019.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA, IHG, Marriott
This plane is the newly configured plane with the Premium Economy seating. Available with Economy+ pricing/status until end of March.

I've already booked two transpacs in PE before April into this section. I had booked a flight to HKG in August, but they took 20A seat away and moved me to the regular econ+.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Thanks for the quick and informative replies. As a follow up, would it make sense to book 21 J and L, or will there be a seat in-between, namely the "missing" K, when I travel in February? The upgrade price is lower than for row 24.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You can't be sure whether your plane will actually be 2-4-2 or 3-4-3 in that row when you fly (they are specifically not charging extra for the PE seats right now because they can't make the guarantee). Additionally, there are reports of seat assignments getting scrambled when the frame gets assigned. I would probably go for it, as it's your best chance of flying in the PE seat, but don't think of it as a sure bet.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:17 pm
MMU

My upcoming NRT-SFO flight shows 2-4-2 configuration for rows 19-21. Seats B and K are 'missing'

Does this make the adjacent seats better?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
We had the premium plus hard product AKL-SFO. It was pretty nice for UA but didn't touch NZ PE... especially the lack of dedicated PE bathrooms and dedicated FAs. Also quite a noisy flight which we're not used to on NZ... tons of interruptions, loud announcements that weren't necessary, super loud FAs. Not a great flight!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MMU
My upcoming NRT-SFO flight shows 2-4-2 configuration for rows 19-21. Seats B and K are 'missing'

Does this make the adjacent seats better?
Sounds like you have a plane with the premium plus product.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by smanch
We had the premium plus hard product AKL-SFO. It was pretty nice for UA but didn't touch NZ PE... especially the lack of dedicated PE bathrooms and dedicated FAs. Also quite a noisy flight which we're not used to on NZ... tons of interruptions, loud announcements that weren't necessary, super loud FAs. Not a great flight!
UA doesn’t start true PEY service until the end of March, so you can’t make a full comparison between them and NZ just yet.. I had an aircraft swap on SFO-TPE three weeks ago and it was certainly a better hard product than I imagine E+ would’ve been for the fourteen hours. Curious how the UA FAs will handle the new product and if they’ll actually provide better service to justify the money folks will spend to sit in PEY over Y.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:57 pm
MMU

Thanks for the info. It's showing as an E+ upgrade and is also color coded as E+ seat.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
There’s just a handful of the 77Ws with the new PEY seating, so you could end up getting moved to less desirable seats in Y if there is a swap. I might tempt it and choose the seat as they’re going to be much better than being jammed into E+.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2018 at 11:15 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

UA doesn’t start true PEY service until the end of March, so you can’t make a full comparison between them and NZ just yet.. I had an aircraft swap on SFO-TPE three weeks ago and it was certainly a better hard product than I imagine E+ would’ve been for the fourteen hours. Curious how the UA FAs will handle the new product and if they’ll actually provide better service to justify the money folks will spend to sit in PEY over Y.
Having sat in it, I can make enough of a comparison to say that I won't be paying a premium for it, or at least not much of one. No dedicated Lav is a huge issue, having to share the already crowded lav in Y on that plane. The seat itself is nice, but so is the exit row in E+ on that plane. I find the design to be disappointing, and if they were charging the same upcharge that NH does on TPAC routes, they'd see the cabin empty or full of upgraders for the most part, but fortunately it looks like at least in the beginning it's going to be quite drastically discounted compared to NH's PY.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
what is the legroom like in seats 19A or 19L(bulkhead window in E+)?

thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Does the crew usually store their bags in the row 9 overhead bins? It has happened twice now here the bins were already filled with crew bags when boarding.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by oopl
Does the crew usually store their bags in the row 9 overhead bins? It has happened twice now here the bins were already filled with crew bags when boarding.
I've never seen that before, but I haven't been in row 9 since summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.