Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
that's not the galley that the FA's gather in.
Until it is. I've been on that flight.

Aren't you exposed to the aisle in that seat?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Until it is. I've been on that flight.

Aren't you exposed to the aisle in that seat?
True. But, it's not bad, because you don't have middle seats in Row 8, so there's just a little less activity.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Interesting opinion, I would think there is more activity from the crew in the galley than passengers, especially in an angled seat.

I guess it depends on the person.
I value the foot well because of the positioning of my body when I sleep the most and noise distractions less. Especially with the straight seats being fairly private wherever it is. Others have no issue with the foot well but are bothered more by traffic.

Originally Posted by WyomingBrian
My wife and I flew SFO > LHR in July (about 10hr 30min) in 5G/5D. These were excellent straight seats, and the powered partition was a nice bonus.
How did your wife like it when you raised the partition while she was mid-sentence?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:51 pm

The wiki says 9A/L are the best seats ... is the proximity to the rest rooms going to be an issue?

Other seats are still available, so I can change
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Interesting opinion, I would think there is more activity from the crew in the galley than passengers, especially in an angled seat.

I guess it depends on the person.
I value the foot well because of the positioning of my body when I sleep the most and noise distractions less. Especially with the straight seats being fairly private wherever it is. Others have no issue with the foot well but are bothered more by traffic.

How did your wife like it when you raised the partition while she was mid-sentence?
I just took my first flight in D/G accompanied by my partner, and I found when conversing I have a tendency to lean across so that I can hear more clearly (we speak together very conspiratorially). However, when I do so, my elbow tends to fall right on the power button. Typically I would hit it again to reverse and stay clear until the next time I forgot about it, but one time I decided to just let it go all the way up. That was not appreciated!

Originally Posted by malgudi
The wiki says 9A/L are the best seats ... is the proximity to the rest rooms going to be an issue?

Other seats are still available, so I can change
​​​​​​​No issue.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by malgudi
Depends on how sensitive you are to lav traffic. I won't sit in row 9 (or 1). Others really like those seats.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Well, after 2 years of CONSTANTLY flying United, I finally will get to experience the new Polaris seats on EWR-BOM later this month. I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately, only the middle seats remain. Meanwhile, I'll keep enjoying the Global first seats on my other routes while I still can.

Update: After checking the seat map fanatically all day I was able to snag 17L on the outbound and 15A on the return. Looking forward to having a Window AND aisle... best of both worlds.

Last edited by LordHamster; Nov 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I just flew SFO-AKL return on UA 917 and 916. (777-300ER Polaris cabins) - photos to follow when I have a minute.

I was in 7A on the outbound, 6L on the return.

7A was fantastic for sleeping and privacy, a cocoon of sorts. Only negative was 7A has only one window. Also, depending on one's size, it can be narrow to exit from the cocoon.

I purposely wanted to try a different seat on the return and 6L was available. Upside was easier aisle access. Downside was a bit more exposure to the aisle (more dependent on how you sleep). Negative for me was barely a window. There is a wall-mounted lamp on the back-side of 5L which along with the wall from 5L's seat, blocks half of one window. The side part of 6L, blocks the other window.

I do appreciate that not everyone cares about the view, so this may not matter to some.

Galley noise: 7A is a bit closer to the mid-galley but I found I heard more noise when I was in 6L. It could of been the difference in how the crew handled the food carts and/or my sleep.

BTW, if anyone likes to see wings and engines, 17K (as I walked by and looked out the window) is one of those seats with a view.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Looks like scheduled 77W seatmaps have been updated to replace the mini-cabin rows 19-22 with 3 rows of 2-4-2. Presumably to guard against PE frame swaps now that an appreciable number (4/17) of the 77Ws have PE.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Upgrade just cleared for HKG-SFO and it’ll be my first time trying out UAs 77W and Polaris. The only window left is 16L, which appears to face the aisle.

Looking at the middle section, 9D/G are available. Does anybody have a photo of these seats? I understand the footwell is larger for the bulkhead and thus I feel like trying out row 9... Any/all opinions are welcome.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Chilly

I sat in 4D HKG-SFO recently and felt like I was freezing. Even when I twisted the personal ceiling vent to the off position, I could still feel really cold air blowing on me during the first few hours of the flight. Fortunately, i packed a sweater and put it right on for the whole flight. I felt better once the first meal service was over. But I never needed a sweater when I sat in the A window Polaris seats. Anyone else have issues with cold air in certain areas?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Upgrade just cleared for HKG-SFO and it’ll be my first time trying out UAs 77W and Polaris. The only window left is 16L, which appears to face the aisle.

Looking at the middle section, 9D/G are available. Does anybody have a photo of these seats? I understand the footwell is larger for the bulkhead and thus I feel like trying out row 9... Any/all opinions are welcome.
9D/G are good for the footwell, and being separated from the aisle. but you're very close to your neighbor ("honeymoon seats") -- though there's a divider that can be lifted. These also look (diagonally) at the lavs, in case that bothers you. I'm a big fan of 9L followed by 9A.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wxguy
9D/G are good for the footwell, and being separated from the aisle. but you're very close to your neighbor ("honeymoon seats") -- though there's a divider that can be lifted. These also look (diagonally) at the lavs, in case that bothers you. I'm a big fan of 9L followed by 9A.
Hmm, hopefully my EF alert will find something. As of now, there’s just one window available and I think it’s 16L.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
After flying 9A/L and 11A/L many times, I flew 3L. I much prefer 3L. Further from the engines and you don't hear them at all, just the wind noise. Also, you can't feel the toilet flush like you do in 9A/L.

It is hard to get in the front cabin without booking early though.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:31 pm

On the 777-300ER redesign with Premium Plus, will Row 30, now the first Economy Plus row, be better or worse than it was?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.