Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:21 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
I'm planning to book EWR-NRT-EWR for myself and my husband, and I'm debating seat choices. I really want a window seat on one leg, to see out over Alaska/Artic, and I guess we'd pick window seats one in front of the other. I'd then pick an odd-numbered D/G on the other leg for spouse time.

Any recommendations on which leg would have the best views and be worth it do windows? The flight there is 11am - 1:55 pm next day; flight home is 5pm - 4:45pm.

And then does row 9 count as 'bulkhead' as far as larger foot well space is concerned? My Husband is 6'3 so we might book those, my only concern is that in all images, there's ambiance lighting coming from that partition. Does that get turned off when it's 'sleep time?' If it's on, is it really noticeable? Thanks
Yes. Row 9 has the larger foot well. The difference is noticeable.

They do turn the light down after the meal service for sleeping. But there is still a little ambient light so people can move around the cabin safely. I don't consider it disturbing for sleep (YMMV), plus, there will be a handy eye mask in the provided amenity kit.

Findark noted that you may want to consider picking odd number seats for both of you when you're at the window instead of sitting one directly in front of the other. The odd seats are the straight seats instead of angled toward the aisle. Also, the odd number seats have 2-3 windows each and I think the even number seats only have one window.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by sb3
Yes. Row 9 has the larger foot well. The difference is noticeable.

They do turn the light down after the meal service for sleeping. But there is still a little ambient light so people can move around the cabin safely. I don't consider it disturbing for sleep (YMMV), plus, there will be a handy eye mask in the provided amenity kit.

Findark noted that you may want to consider picking odd number seats for both of you when you're at the window instead of sitting one directly in front of the other. The odd seats are the straight seats instead of angled toward the aisle. Also, the odd number seats have 2-3 windows each and I think the even number seats only have one window.
Thanks. With these new responses from you and @findark, I changed the seats. I booked 9DG on the way there, so we can experience biz together for the first time, and 3A and 5A on the way home. I think I did ok with balancing out together time with enjoying the good seats, esp since I'm not sure when we'll book J again!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:29 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
Thanks. With these new responses from you and @findark, I changed the seats. I booked 9DG on the way there, so we can experience biz together for the first time, and 3A and 5A on the way home. I think I did ok with balancing out together time with enjoying the good seats, esp since I'm not sure when we'll book J again!
Enjoy.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: EXP PLT, UA1K, QF Gold
Folks

have to do a mileage run before year end for my 4 UA segments - offshore flyer doing a ton of sectors on non UA...........can get UA 773 ex NRT - if the worst comes to the worst and GPU's dont clear what are the best Y+ seats? Row 19 is open.

Sage advice and words of wisdom gratefully accepted - cheers - GT

Last edited by GlobalTvller; Sep 19, 2018 at 4:57 am Reason: typos
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GlobalTvller
Folks

have to do a mileage run before year end for my 4 UA segments - offshore flyer doing a ton of sectors on non UA...........can get UA 773 ex NRT - if the worst comes to the worst and GPU's dont clear what are the best Y+ seats? Row 19 is open.

If I were the flyer, I would choose an aisle seat in Row 19 (or a window if that's what you prefer). A seat in the first bulkhead is always the seat I choose while waiting for my upgrades to clear. I like that first bulkhead because in addition to the feeling of more space, there is the additional advantage of very little traffic.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Folks

I haven't had the pleasure(?) of Y or Y+ on 773. But I would look at row 22 D or G. Similar seats (Row 24) on the 787 are the last rows to fill and I have scored empty rows more than once.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: EXP PLT, UA1K, QF Gold
awesome advice 'StuckinTH" - will confirm my booking by end of week
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:57 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Folks

If you just need the 4 UA sectors is there something through GUM that'll work for your schedule?

​​​​​​​Might be easier than TPAC'ing 4 flights.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
What about 12A or 11 D/G? All of the odd-numbered window seats are already taken, perhaps by people reading this thread.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BigE
What about 12A or 11 D/G? All of the odd-numbered window seats are already taken, perhaps by people reading this thread.
Are you bothered by aisle traffic? If so, pick a row 11 center; if not, pick the row 12 window.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Actually, 1D just became available. Maybe the larger footwell breaks the tie.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Row 1 .... I always hated Row 1 in GF on the 777/767 because of noise and light from the forward galley. How is the galley in relation to the Polaris seats on 773? Has noise/light/chatter been a problem?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Travelling EWR-BOM & I want to try out the E+ mini-cabin now that im Gold but there are no aisles available except row 22 which is close to the lavs - will they bump me if i choose 19F as its a bassinet-ready seat?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by deepakvalecha
Travelling EWR-BOM & I want to try out the E+ mini-cabin now that im Gold but there are no aisles available except row 22 which is close to the lavs - will they bump me if i choose 19F as its a bassinet-ready seat?
There's nothing that would make me choose a middle seat if there's an aisle seat available somewhere especially on such a long flight. If I were you, I would choose an aisle on Row 22 and keep monitoring the seat map to see if other aisle seats open when and if passengers get upgraded to Polaris Business.

I know I don't answer your question but in my last 20 international long haul flights, there was never a baby in the bassinet. A long time ago (2011), I had the aisle seat next to the bassinet and there was a couple with a baby on the other side in the same group of 4 seats so my neighbor and I switched seats with them so their baby could get the bassinet. But, for sure, UA did not get me out of my seat. I did not mind as I got an aisle seat in the bulkhead which is exactly what I had reserved.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by deepakvalecha
Travelling EWR-BOM...
Didn't even know they serviced that with the 777-300, I thought it was exclusively on the 77Y.

To answer your question though: I don't think you'd get
"bumped". In all likelihood they might "ask". Pretty sure you could refuse, but that might be a bit uncomfortable.
But as StuckinITH wrote: an aisle in row 22 sounds A LOT more appealing than a middle seat in row 19!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.