Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frank408
I'm flying Polaris 777-300ER next month. The only odd-numbered window seat (which is my first choice in this seating configuration) that's available is row 17, over the front edge of the wing. Does anyone know if this position will incur louder engine noise? It's a day flight, so sleeping isn't a high priority; but I would rather not listen to heightened engine noise for 10+ hours if its noticeable over noise-cancelling earphones. My other choice is to sit in an even row in the forward cabin, away from the wing.
Yes, take the row 17 window. The engine noise in the rear (9-18) cabin is not really noticeable. It is empirically higher, but especially if you have the headphones on and watch or listen to something, you will not be aware of the noise. It's not like riding one of the old prop planes.

And welcome to flyertalk!
jsloan and jjmoore like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
On SFO-HKG: 1A, 9A or 9L? I am concerned by the potential noise from the lavatories and food preparation in row 9.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA-1k
I read someplace that 1a and 9a are the best seats as the bulk head provides additional space. I also read that only row 8 is awful from a noise perspective. Personally, i try to avoid traffic as much as possible. If it were my choice, i would go for the privacy of 1A or 9L.

my two cents. BUT I have not been on this flight. I am flying this week to Asia on it and have 18a. It was between 8a, 16a (no window) and 18a (two off centered windows). I'm going with 18 to avoid traffic and not have a neighbor.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by mirror2050
I read someplace that 1a and 9a are the best seats as the bulk head provides additional space. I also read that only row 8 is awful from a noise perspective. Personally, i try to avoid traffic as much as possible. If it were my choice, i would go for the privacy of 1A or 9L.

my two cents. BUT I have not been on this flight. I am flying this week to Asia on it and have 18a. It was between 8a, 16a (no window) and 18a (two off centered windows). I'm going with 18 to avoid traffic and not have a neighbor.
I just got off UA961 from FRA in 3L and was surprised with the amount of metallic noise after takeoff - it sounded like several crew members were having trouble getting carts ready? Maybe just a one-off but would have been less noise on the A seats as this was on the right side of the aircraft.

Previously I have chosen seats in row 9 which were less noisy from crew activity, but more noise from the engines.

I only have about 6 experiences on the 773 but the front cabin is definitely quieter as it's further away from the jets. In the end I still slept for over 5 hours

Adam
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:06 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
On SFO-HKG: 1A, 9A or 9L? I am concerned by the potential noise from the lavatories and food preparation in row 9.
I would say 9L so the sun isn't hitting you directly since you're flying during the day. I sat in 9A on that flight and was concerned about the noise and it wasn't a problem. With that said, I do use ear plugs for the majority of the flight.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:16 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Avoid 11A on 777-300 #2139 for the next day or 2 unless you want a $300 ETC or 15,000 Miles. Headphone jack is broken.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tht
Avoid 11A on 777-300 #2139 for the next day or 2 unless you want a $300 ETC or 15,000 Miles. Headphone jack is broken.
Sounds to me like a feature not a bug
iluv2fly and drewguy like this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA-1k
All of the seats are fine but avoid row 8

So I l flew the new Polaris class to Taipei from SFO. I had asked several questions prior to take off. My conclusion. 16 is a bit lame without the window but if you're in a even row it really doesn't matter as the table really prevents must window use. 18 has the double window but if you just want to control your own light, then it is fine and there was zero traffic coming from coach. The small coach cabin behind business it only 4 rows deep and fairly quite as well. Row 8, it isn't as bad as what it looks like on the seat map BUT it is the worst seat on the class. the bulk head seats 1 and 9 do have exsta room and they don't seem to close to the galley to be bothersome... All in all, I had 15a and thought it was a great seat and private.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I flew 11A on UA 58 because it was laid out straight instead of at a diagonal.
Layout was fine though I don't know if it's easier to get in and out of than the diagonal pods. Might have been tougher for the flight attendants to reach towards the table than the diagonal pods.Your head is flush with the window so maybe it's quieter than the diagonal pods which jut out towards the aisle.However, 11A is right in front of the engine and I could hear a low roar when I put on the over the ear headphones. So much so that I ended up switching to a pair of cheap in-ear headphones I had with me, which were quieter, despite not having active noise cancellation.I don't know if it's typical but on this flight, I did not get my first meal choice, salmon. The second choice was okay but apparently they served from the first rows to the back.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I recently flew the SFO-HKG leg on this bird. It was mighty uncomfortable sitting on this flight as it required you to share your personal space with people sitting next to you. The only way to make this aircraft palatable is to do Southwest style seating. This way I can find all the petite passengers and go and sit next to them. Pick a 6' to sit next to you and you will be rubbing shoulders with them for the 14 hour journey.

Why does flying having to be such a pain?
Since UA started flying this cruddy plane (in Y) I have bought three sets of Asia tickets, and three sets of Europe Tickets. All of the Asia flights UA would have been in the mix, but no way I am taking this dread bird SFO-HKG, UA lost two of the Europeon Trips (it just got on leg sfo-LHR), but with the risk of getting this same crappy seating on a 772, they are off the list for our October Trip to Europe. UA probably has lost at this point 12 tickets, each $1500 each....

I will just not fly on this plane in Y, which means (on family trips at least) I am not flying UA.... LH, CX, OZ have gotten my "mid-priced" Y business... October Trip is going to be on BA in PE....
narvik likes this.

Last edited by spin88; Apr 27, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
After now 12+ 773ER flights in J, I would say 9L and 9A are my fav, with 9A just edging out. Dont find the lav/galley that annoying, and being very close to the extra large lav is nice when changing in/out of the PJs on HKG/SFO etc.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:02 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Which sears are blocked prior to gate control? Twice on this bird now, and both times, looking at the upgrade list, there were 3 more seats unbooked than were available on the app at check-in. For example, seat map offered 5 open seats at T-22h, but on the app’s upgrade list, it says 52/60 sold—similar for my outbound the week prior. Booked - seat map = 3. Anyone know? Most other aircraft, those pre-blocked seats (like 1C on the CRJ or formerly row 6 on the 747) do suddenly open up at check-in...But not in my (limited) experience on the 77W.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Standard blocks are 19DE and 43ABCDE. None in the business cabin - must have been something more specific to your flight that you were seeing. Possibly blocks for inop seats or some weird crew or positive space thing.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Only 2 more weeks until my 3L experience in B773 Polaris on my TPAC itinerary!! I will post a brief summary of the experience. I'm hoping I picked the best seat in the Polaris cabin... thoughts?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Only 2 more weeks until my 3L experience in B773 Polaris on my TPAC itinerary!! I will post a brief summary of the experience. I'm hoping I picked the best seat in the Polaris cabin... thoughts?
The only other possible best seat would be 3A, depending on the sun and which direction you prefer to view.

That said, I usually choose 1L if I can, as the galley noise doesn't bother me, and I kind of like watching what they are doing (I know that sounds strange).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.