Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
I have never seen them use the 'personal' bulkhead on the 77w (as they occasionally have on the 788/9), and they seem to be satisfied storing the mid-flight wine / snack in the galley and emergency exit area.
I know they store the wine above 1D during the initial wine service.

Last edited by cranky1K; Dec 5, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Not if you put your bedding items up there first.
cranky1K likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just flew Polaris Business for the first time UA838 NRT-SFO on 12/4 and sat in 1A. While it seemed nice being tucked away up front, the light from the galley combined with constant noise of glasses/dishware + traffic made it difficult to sleep without the use of eyeshades and earbuds/headphones. I would opt for one of the odd numbered rows farther back.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Follow up on a post I made above. I flew SFO-NRT in 9G. I think the pairing of the 9D/G seats would be great for a couple but is very awkward for two strangers. Your head is literally less than a foot from the next guy's head. Even with the divider that is weird (psychologically, but also for me, being 6'6", I can see over the divider). Also the TV screen is close to the divider screen, making it seem tighter than it really is. Legroom/footwell is big, and I did like the privacy vis a vis the aisle. You feel very enclosed, which is nice. The seat was nice but unlike the 787 J seats, you feel like you are sitting on the Polaris seat and not in it. It's not as bad as on some other airlines (LH and LX come to mind), but it's noticeable. I liked the scrolling adjustment button. I still wish there was more storage, but overall a nice place to be.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:43 pm

Has anyone had to move from row 9 to allow bassinet use? I am in 9A from EWR-TLV next week and 9L from SFO-HKG and wondering if that is risky. The TLV flight has not odd row seats in 1st cabin other than 7 but row 11 is available. I definitely want odd because I am small and like being tucked away. The HKG flight has 5L available, which I had and then switched back.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by daisyatl
Has anyone had to move from row 9 to allow bassinet use? I am in 9A from EWR-TLV next week and 9L from SFO-HKG and wondering if that is risky. The TLV flight has not odd row seats in 1st cabin other than 7 but row 11 is available. I definitely want odd because I am small and like being tucked away. The HKG flight has 5L available, which I had and then switched back.
I'm not sure there's any reason to pick row 9 unless you're tall and/or have really big feet. I'd go with 5 or 11 just to be away from the lavs.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure there's any reason to pick row 9 unless you're tall and/or have really big feet. I'd go with 5 or 11 just to be away from the lavs.
I like using the shelf area as a standing desk.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: None anymore
Hi guys!
I've flown both 3A and 3L. I would fly 3A again in a heartbeat, but 3L was terrible. It's still too close to the galley in front and during meal service/ before landing cleanup the galley is LOUD. I would go back to row 5 at least if I was going to be on that side.

Also is it just me or do they not turn the lights all the way off anymore?? My last flight was NRT-SFO (night flight) and they kept the soft yellow mood lights on the entire time.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I pick bulkhead normally because I am slightly claustrophobic so prefer the front row or back row and I like window and I can get out. Less of an issue in Polaris because there is privacy and space. But I didn't realize 1 or 9 were simply about size. That is interesting. I have been in 1A twice. I kind of like seeing what is going on. Maybe a control issue. But I guess I generally picked 1 and 9 because the wiki at the top says you should!

Comment above is interesting. I could see that too. Wondering why other people choose it...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by cranky1K
I love this... had this on both Singapore trips on the 789 ... very convenient and decent wines as well. ^
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by leland
Could have been phantom then? In that case really glad I didn't transfer a bunch of UR points to try to book it.

I'm not super familiar with UA availability - for SFO-AKL any idea how likely it is for two seats to open? I imagine I'd have to book them one at a time, but big relationship conflict to end up with one Y and one J on that flight
I've actually had decent luck with SFO-AKL using GPUs, not quite the same as looking for I inventory but the two can often correlate. Managed to find R9 headed down there 11/23/17 returning 12/4/17. Did the middle pair of 11 down and 15 on the way back, seats were great but the FA's seemed particularly grumpy. Also no slippers were loaded on either flight, so yes PJs but you needed to put your shoes back on every time you went to the lavatory.

Originally Posted by warrenw
Hi guys!
I've flown both 3A and 3L. I would fly 3A again in a heartbeat, but 3L was terrible. It's still too close to the galley in front and during meal service/ before landing cleanup the galley is LOUD. I would go back to row 5 at least if I was going to be on that side.

Also is it just me or do they not turn the lights all the way off anymore?? My last flight was NRT-SFO (night flight) and they kept the soft yellow mood lights on the entire time.
I've had similar experiences, I always try and go row 5 or farther back to avoid the light pollution from the galley.

I've had them turning the lights off (as they should) lately.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
I just had 1A on UA 78 NRT to EWR. I don't recommend this seat. The large and small overhead bins over 1D are not usable for passengers (no handles are even visible) so the carry on space for 1A and D is very tight. Also the post above about galley noise disturbing 1A is accurate.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: One or two :)
Looks like 879 from LHR-IAH on 26 Dec has an equipment swap now to the 77W. A pleasant surprise, except for quickly scanning this thread to decide which Polaris seat to choose!
daisyatl likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Acastus
I just had 1A on UA 78 NRT to EWR. I don't recommend this seat. The large and small overhead bins over 1D are not usable for passengers (no handles are even visible) so the carry on space for 1A and D is very tight. Also the post above about galley noise disturbing 1A is accurate.
It turns out the bin space above 1D is actually used for crew rest, which they access through a door located across the aisle diagonally from 1A. I got to take a peek after asking the FA about it.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:24 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i'm 6'5" who loves his bbq but also thin-ish.

i normally fly aisle, decided to go window on both the sfohkgsfo legs. first leg i had a middle open, second was full flight. both e+.

i actually really liked the hd:
-on the 3-3-3 you get a couple inches from seat to wall. sleeping on the wall is impossible for me at least. i mean your head touches it but the pillow/wall/angle combination is super slippery. therefore you gotta rely on head wings and even on the new slimlines they're getting too loose (don't worry i tell them this in every survey)
-with 3-4-3 them seats right against the wall. all you gotta do is just put a pillow up and lean. i've had some of the best economy sleeps of my life on these planes. i'm not being facetious.

dunno how them middles on the 4 (let alone 3) were, but, really it not the end of the world and i'm probably the only person on ft who likes it as a window traveler (which i never am). my travel companion on the aisle on the sfohkg leg said he didn't get bashed at all, contrary to many reports here. maybe everyone here flying on the middle on every flight but as a tall guy at the window it really wasn't that bad. but again, this was e+.

oh but in typical fashion i boarded last sfohkg, and i was told there was zero bin space . on a 773. . fortunately there was some bin space in polaris for my rollaboard that fits wheel first . but barely. same thing happened hkgsfo but i boarded first, and at least hkg has proactive, helpful agents on the plane to figure that circus out, so it did not appear anyone had to check their carry ons. on an intl 773. how pathetic that would be.

just my 2 south african rands.

Last edited by cur; Dec 29, 2017 at 2:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.