Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by DELee
Naw, Economy XXL!

David
Or Economy + Size.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:07 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
which seat? 19C or 39AorC?

i am tall, so extending my legs is priority above all else.
19c looks good but there is a wall?
39A looks great but want to confirm this is an exit row with unlimited legroom?

bulkhead walls with no leg cut out are the bane of my existence. i really wish these "all you need to know" wikis include the bulkhead wall situation on each acft.

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I just did a review above on post #309

If you can get seats 19A, 19L, 24A, 24L, 39A and 39L on your PEK-SFO flight, then I would say its fine.
It's bad though. 12+ hours is borderline unbearable.
but row19 has a bulkhead wall in front of it? so for someone with long legs it's worse than a e- seat.

what is the spacing at 39 like? on the map it makes it look like lavatory is right in front at bulkhead-level distance (ie standard 32inch, no cutouts)

Last edited by cur; Nov 3, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by cur

but row19 has a bulkhead wall in front of it? so for someone with long legs it's worse than a e- seat.

what is the spacing at 39 like? on the map it makes it look like lavatory is right in front at bulkhead-level distance (ie standard 32inch, no cutouts)
If I recall correctly, row 39 might be a little better than row 19.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Hey All,

Flying SFO - TPE in a few weeks, currently sitting in 15a, but 9A/L are both available (bulkhead). Should I stay where I am or move? First time on the 77w, but don't know if bulkhead if worth it given the proximity to the galley.

thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumples
Hey All,

Flying SFO - TPE in a few weeks, currently sitting in 15a, but 9A/L are both available (bulkhead). Should I stay where I am or move? First time on the 77w, but don't know if bulkhead if worth it given the proximity to the galley.

thanks!
I would move to 9L. The galley is not that obtrusive.
ajGoes and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by fumje
I would move to 9L. The galley is not that obtrusive.
awesome, thanks for the feedback. I know sometimes the FAs place wine/etc on the 788 and 789, do they do the same on the 77w? I assume not since there's an actual walk up area on the 77w right?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

awesome, thanks for the feedback. I know sometimes the FAs place wine/etc on the 788 and 789, do they do the same on the 77w? I assume not since there's an actual walk up area on the 77w right?
I have never seen them use the 'personal' bulkhead on the 77w (as they occasionally have on the 788/9), and they seem to be satisfied storing the mid-flight wine / snack in the galley and emergency exit area.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
THere’s a dedicated snack station on the 77w
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
6D/G, 9G or 18A/L? Day flight heading to Asia, so getting more sleep than just a nap is not as important to me, but I am 6'6" with size 15 feet.

I like the idea of the bulkhead (9G) but its the only seat available and its really close to the 9D passenger.

18A is nice for it being a solo seat but it is at the back near coach and next to the engine (i use noise cancelling headphones most of the flight so noise is usually not an issue). It is the only solo seat available on the flight.

6D/G seem nice as front cabin seats, wide spread instead of right next to each other as the odd numbered seats.

Which of these 3 would you take? Also plenty of availability in the middle in the 2nd J section, but no solo seats other than 18A/L.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
9D. There is a head height divider between you and the next person.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Business Class Seat Location, Recent Experience

Did a lot of reading and hand-wringing prior to my recent trip from SFO to AKL.

I can honestly say that the seats are quite private throughout the cabin. The single window seats provide incredible privacy, a bit claustrophobic. The middle seats provide you a greater "breadth of vision", which is noticeable and appreciated. Couples are surprised when they are not in the center "honeymoon" seats, which are side-by-side / nearly shoulder-to-shoulder. The other center seats (even rows) essentially cut you off from your traveling partner. Choose accordingly. Given that here is a divider between the honeymoon seats, I'd take one of those before I'd settle for a center seat in an even row.

There's plenty of bin space regardless of your location in the business cabin.

I sat in 5L outbound, and 3G return. Very satisfied with both. My favorite seat based upon observation? 1L. It's secluded, private and just wonderful. Light and noise from the galley non-existent. Cannot say the same for 1A. That side has a smaller bulkhead (width), which allows light from the galley to shine outward. Plus, the door to the pilot bunks is there, and the flight attendants hang out on that side.

My second choice would be 9L. It has aspects similar to 1L.....privacy and lack of traffic. It's back from the galley. And, the 9A side gets lots more traffic, as people figure out real fast which side has the "big" bathroom with the slide door.

Wherever you sit, you'll enjoy the seat and cabin. I thought it would feel cramped and tight, but that was not what I experienced.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have flown over a dozen UA 77W operated flights and have sat in the most coveted seats of 1 A/D/G/L and 9 A/D/G/L. I have flown as a single and as a couple and also sat in other odd and even center and window seats. I have also flown 7 out of the 14 77W in the fleet.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Not a fan of row 1. Too much galley noise and traffic

2. Row 9 is better than Row 1, and 9L is better than 9A. The bathroom door near 9A is not a sliding door, it is a regular door and can slam into the wall to create a loud noise. I can hear toilet flush noise in all four seats of row 9.

3. 1 D/G and 9D/G clearly have more footwell space, but I prefer row 3 and row 11 as couple seats. Very private and not too far back in the cabins to still receive timely service. Less noise than row 1 and 9.

4. If I travel alone and want to sleep, my preference goes to 3 A/L and 11 A/L.

5. Avoid all even number seats. They are all facing the aisle. Awkward angled seats. Not a fan.

Just my personal experience here and respect other views.
getagb, Dublin_rfk and 27Liam like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have flown over a dozen UA 77W operated flights and have sat in the most coveted seats of 1 A/D/G/L and 9 A/D/G/L. I have flown as a single and as a couple and also sat in other odd and even center and window seats. I have also flown 7 out of the 14 77W in the fleet.
Thanks for this input it is very helpful.

If I travel alone and want to sleep, my preference goes to 3 A/L and 11 A/L.
3L has been my go to seat. I think there's slightly less traffic on that side due to no forward lav.
getagb likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
5. Avoid all even number seats. They are all facing the aisle. Awkward angled seats. Not a fan.
I have to say that after flying in 12A earlier this year on SFO-EWR, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. YMMV but I didn't feel that facing the aisle was as distracting as I thought it would be. Of course the odd-numbered seats are still better...
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I'm going SFO-AKL on a saver Y ticket in early Jan, and have to say I'm not looking forward to it all that much after this thread But at least it's the flight to a hopefully great vacation so can only get better... Right now have row 47 L/J, hoping the middle stays empty. With all the width commentary on the plane is it worth spending $200/ea to pull the same trick in E+? Or wait and see if there's space a few days out?

I'm also trying to weigh the relative value of using all my CSR points to switch to NZ in J if it opens up but another 100k chase points plus UA change fees plus a longer travel day (extra stop to get to LAX) seems steep on top of the 80k I've already put down for two seats.

Pro tips?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.