Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by helvetic
Sat in 9L this time. Great seat with a massive footwell. Loving the 77W
how was the galley/lav noise? also, did a lot light seep through the crappy see-through mesh curtain?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:41 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
how was the galley/lav noise? also, did a lot light seep through the crappy see-through mesh curtain?
Didn't bother me at all, you don't see the galley directly at all (you can somehow see the passenger walkway where they lay out the snacks during quiet hours). I don't remember a curtain, or if there was one it wasn't used on my short p.s. route. The seat is close to the window and feels very private, you don't see a single human from your seated position unless they're walking by the aisle. People waiting for the lavatory do so in the walkway, so don't bother you at all.

Then again, I'm not particularly sensitive to these kinds of things. But I'm not disturbed by the lavs/galleys at all.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
There is no curtain. Minimal galley noise from when they stage carts in the passageway. There are no bright lights at all in this area.

Ive only sat in 9A so I cant speak to the lav on the 9L side. 9a does get some vibration from flush/door close. A-side is a different configuration lav though.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by br2k
If Y is as bad as it's being described - I'd worry about a passenger revolt and being physically assaulted.

If things keep going that way, they'll need to begin installing secure doors between the Y and the C compartments.
To be completely accurate, Y sucks on any long haul not just on the 77W or UA. Having survived dozens of Y class (and lower) long hauls I believe that its expectations that are driving most of the comments. The average Joe/Jill flyer with one possibility two flights a year, if that doesnt know about the luxuries in F other than walking through to there seat. Many, at least on long hauls are going somewhere they are looking forward to.
this AM sitting in 9L I was treated to hearing, Oh My God! Is that was our seats are like? As a couple dragged their bags past going somewhere in Y. I can only imagine their conversation about 6 hours later.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Sat in 9L this time. Great seat with a massive footwell. Loving the 77W
9L may not be the best seat on the 77W but for me its close. I think the jump seat up front with a view would rate higher. Lav noise? None, galley noise? Minimal. You only know about the outside world when you make the effort to look.
ajGoes and zspitzer like this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:38 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Baby Bassinet Positions in C: 9A / 9L

Friend asked me where the bassinet positions were in business on the UA 77W.

Following up, I asked the FA the other day when flying and she informed me the two seats, in business, with the bassinet are 9A and 9L.

Do not have kids myself, but for those who do, heads up.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:23 am

9A all the way. I find the table to be in the perfect position, you can use the window well to hold all the Polaris stuff, deep Big footwell...

lav doesnt bother me barely barely notice it.

in the seat now and wouldnt want another seat on the plane
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Friend asked me where the bassinet positions were in business on the UA 77W.

Following up, I asked the FA the other day when flying and she informed me the two seats, in business, with the bassinet are 9A and 9L.

Do not have kids myself, but for those who do, heads up.
9L has a large flat area with a lift up door to storage and I didnt see or especially look for any bassinet mounting hardware. It is large enough for a bassinet but you would have to stand up to see or care for the baby.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:29 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
9L has a large flat area with a lift up door to storage and I didnt see or especially look for any bassinet mounting hardware. It is large enough for a bassinet but you would have to stand up to see or care for the baby.
Did not see the bassinet in action but the FA suggested the top (?) panel opens allowing for the bassinet to be affixed to plane.

It is unclear to me as to if the bassinet - and the baby - would rest on top of the flat area or be hung down from the connection points as to be lower to allow for care of the baby without having to get up.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Did not see the bassinet in action but the FA suggested the top (?) panel opens allowing for the bassinet to be affixed to plane.

It is unclear to me as to if the bassinet - and the baby - would rest on top of the flat area or be hung down from the connection points as to be lower to allow for care of the baby without having to get up.
Well the seat area is large enough, I just don’t believe that the only bassinet seats are in business. Unless UA believes that flying with a baby is enough torture and doing so in Y would be too much!
PS: I can already hear the out cry from those who complain about galley and lav noise.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Oct 29, 2017 at 11:08 am Reason: Incomplete.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:09 pm

I have a friend who is flying from SFO-HKG. Non-upgradable RT fare of $380. He's booked in 30L - right side window, first row after economy plus. Can anyone speak to whether this is a good seat. Is there less space because the recline of the last row of economy plus cut into the first row of economy? Any insight would be helpful.

Where would you sit if you were in regular economy?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:09 pm

I read on a blog that the window/aisle pair of seats in row 50 (A/B or K/L) are better seats in regular economy because they have more space. Can anyone elaborate?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Well the seat area is large enough, I just dont believe that the only bassinet seats are in business. Unless UA believes that flying with a baby is enough torture and doing so in Y would be too much!
PS: I can already hear the out cry from those who complain about galley and lav noise.
There are bassinet seats in Y as well, as noted on the seat map on UA website
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iker
I read on a blog that the window/aisle pair of seats in row 50 (A/B or K/L) are better seats in regular economy because they have more space. Can anyone elaborate?
The seat width is still the same, 17 inches. However, the 2 seats (window/aisle) are "recessed" (about 12+ inches) from the aisleway so no one will bump into you. It is a good seat for regular economy, in particular couples.

Instead of putting 2 regular size seats (17"), I thought United should put in wider seats (19-20") for rows 50/51 (A/B and K/L). They could market these seats as E+ (but with wider seats instead of more leg room). I'm sure that these seats would be very attractive, especially for Persons of Size (large but not too tall). Perhaps they can call it Economy ++.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PBAudit
Perhaps they can call it Economy ++.
Naw, Economy XXL!

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.