Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I purchased my ticket too late in the process and the only seats available are 18A and a few even number center seats.

Shall I stick with 18A or an even number center seat (further towards the front of the plane)? Will 18A be too noisy from the Y section behind? I am flying alone.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I purchased my ticket too late in the process and the only seats available are 18A and a few even number center seats.

Shall I stick with 18A or an even number center seat (further towards the front of the plane)? Will 18A be too noisy from the Y section behind? I am flying alone.
I flew in 18L. Despite the crying babies at the bulkhead in Y, I never found the noise a serious problem. I did miss windows though, even though it was a night flight. While 18L has two windows, you can barely see anything out of them. One is far forward, the other far back, so you have to twist around to catch a glimpse outside.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I flew in 18L. Despite the crying babies at the bulkhead in Y, I never found the noise a serious problem. I did miss windows though, even though it was a night flight. While 18L has two windows, you can barely see anything out of them. One is far forward, the other far back, so you have to twist around to catch a glimpse outside.
Thanks that's helpful.

Seat 2a just became vacant, so I made the switch. Still hoping an odd number window seat open up before departure.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: United Plat
Row 39 A/C/J/L?

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I just did a review above on post #309

If you can get seats 19A, 19L, 24A, 24L, 39A and 39L on your PEK-SFO flight, then I would say its fine.
It's bad though. 12+ hours is borderline unbearable.
Taking SFO to TPE on 77W E+.

Row 39 seats are open.

Any suggestions on taking 39A/L or 39C/J? I normally take aisle seat but the window seats of row 39 seem better? Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by sfo3388

Row 39 seats are open.

Any suggestions on taking 39A/L or 39C/J? I normally take aisle seat but the window seats of row 39 seem better? Thanks!
I would go 39A/L. The only downside to 39C/J is beverage carts bumping into elbows. Keep in mind that the aisles on this airplane are even more narrow compared with other aircraft.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sfo3388

Row 39 seats are open.

if you have the fly the UA 77W and its seats which are - at best - .6" narrower than on a 737, the consensus appears to be that 39A/L are the best. 24 a/l are freezing cold, and with narrower aisles you will have a very bad bump problem in the c/j seats. It is just such an awful aircraft in E+ and Y-, sort of fitting that its the flagship for United.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by spin88
if you have the fly the UA 77W and its seats which are - at best - .6" narrower than on a 737, the consensus appears to be that 39A/L are the best. 24 a/l are freezing cold, and with narrower aisles you will have a very bad bump problem in the c/j seats. It is just such an awful aircraft in E+ and Y-, sort of fitting that its the flagship for United.
Any thoughts on how 39AL compare to 19ABC & 19JKL?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I'll have my first "experience" on this plane on a few weeks -- FRA-SFO. Unfortunately, I'm on an S fare, and the nearest GPU-able fare is U which would cost nearly $800 more. So, I'm weighing E+ options. Currently, I'm in 39K. Other options are 24E,F, 21K, 22B and 40E,F.

At 6'4", legroom and laptop room is #1 priority. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I flew my first -300 a couple of weeks ago from EWR to SFO.

Originally, I had booked 5A, but was put off by a couple of comments regarding to access to the seats for larger persons, of which I would certainly qualify. Instead, I changed to 9D, the centre bulkhead behind the galley. Whilst it was still a straight seat, it appeared from drawings that the access was slightly wider thanks to the curve of the bulkhead.

As it turned out, the access to 9D is the same width as the odd numbered window seats. However, contrary to comments earlier in this thread, I had no problem at all getting in and out of the space. The seat itself I found comfortable and clearly the design has has a lot of thought put into it. Loved the shoulder height storage locker, for putting your phone, tablet and other in flight essentials. The inclusion of grab handles above the TV made getting out of the seat easy, even in a climb or nose up attitude, and the privacy screen provided the sense of exclusion when you wanted to be left alone.

Only one thing I found disconcerting, mainly because I have never experienced it before. Sitting in 9D, you cannot see a single window because line of sight is blocked by the outer seats. It means you have no reference to the outside world. Silly I know, because most of the time the blinds are down, but it just made the cabin feel a little claustrophobic
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:41 am

United 79 and 78 777-300 Economy

So We flew this route last year in Economy and it wasn't bad in the old 777-200 with 9 across. How much worse is the 10 abreast in the 777-300.

We booked a window and isle seat hoping to have the middle free like we did last year however that is a gamble.

I am just wondering if it is worth upgrading to E+ well still 10 abreast.

Thanks,
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This depends on how far you are going.

I fly to/from Honolulu-San Francisco weekly half the time up front half in Economy Plus - I think it is fine for 5 hours.

Would I personally fly international coach 10+ hours in this plane - well, I'd avoid it if possible but since I actually haven't tried it I can't say for sure. Obviously people do it all the time.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
First off, E+ is not an upgrade, it's just an extra legroom seat which Elites get for free and others pay for.

Second, the entire second class cabin on the -300 is very narrow and just feels too cramped.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: All the programs!
Note that if you sit in 19ABC, the air vents do not reach you. They're installed a bit forward and cannot be angled back to point at the seats. Annoying.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Jebus5

I agree with the above that the E- section is quite narrow - I'd go E+ if I was you.

For more information you may want to check out this thread: Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
For a 12-13h flight, it's not good. E+ at a minimum, but that does nothing to address the narrow seats, small armrests and tight aisles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.