Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Are 7A and 7L bad seats? Are they right next to the galley wall or open galley entrance? Does the light from galley affect sleep? Can you see the flight attendant in the galley when you stand up?
I was in 7A for NRT-IAD. The light wasn't bad once meal service was over, they used the curtain to help it out. I didn't notice too much noise either. I slept fine for 5-6 hours. I would've preferred 5A, but 7A/L isn't bad IME.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by scnzzz
9L hands down IMO.
I'm in 9A next Wednesday. Is 9L any different?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by piemel
Even with the pictures in this thread it is difficult to tell the difference between footwell space for a bulkhead or odd numbered window seat. Are the odd numbered window seats suitable for tall people with big feet?
The footwells on the bulkheads are enormous. The footwells on the odd numbered windows are smaller, but still very good sized . . . much larger than either of the older J seats (sCO or sUA). I don't find them at all restrictive, but I'm only a size 9 shoe. I think you may have to test the seats to find your answer.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I have size 12 shoes and they were absolutely no problem at all. Plenty of space for my feet for both relaxing/lounging and sleeping.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
As far as the aircraft goes, no, but as far as your route goes, perhaps. Where are you flying?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by wilp888
I sat in 1A HKG-SFO and I will never take that seat again. The noise and light from the galley really bothered me. There are also some cabinets across from 1A that the FAs kept on opening and slamming shut and there is a door that opens to stairs (Crew rest?) so there is a lot of traffic. Having said that, the footwell is enormous compared to the other window seats. I have sat in 3A and 5A and the footwell are much smaller.
Was the noise/light still bothersome in 3A? I have a flight in 3A coming up soon.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No, but IIRC 9A wasn't on the list of options
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by UAL250
I was in 7A for NRT-IAD. The light wasn't bad once meal service was over, they used the curtain to help it out. I didn't notice too much noise either. I slept fine for 5-6 hours. I would've preferred 5A, but 7A/L isn't bad IME.
Thanks! I ended up having 5A for EWR-SFO and 11A for SFO-HKG. 11A is at the 2nd section of the business class and is more noisy than the 1st section seats since it is pretty close to the engine, but it is not unbearable. A pair of earplugs helps sleep. If the size of footwell is not your concern, I think 3A/L 5A/L in the middle of the 1st section are the best seats in the whole business cabin, no light or noise, very quiet.

Seats at row 9 are near the 2nd section of the galley, but they are not bad since flight attendants usually work and gather at the 1st section of the galley which is very close to row 8, so I would avoid 8A/L at all costs. The 2nd section of the galley is like an open bar. Drinks and snacks are placed there in between meals and the light there is very dim. Passengers usually stand there and wait for the lavatory. Crews jump seats are in front of the 2nd lavatories facing the front of the plane near the 2nd section of the galley and the 2nd doors, and flight attendant usually sit there alone.

The extra amenities (at your request):
Soft cotton pajamas - very comfortable. it comes with 2 sizes S/M in grey bag and L/XL in black bag.
Cooling gel memory foam pillow - very comfortable but a bit small and the foam smells a kind of bad.
Saks 5th Ave mattress cushion - too small/narrow for the seat, displaced or folded after you make couple of turns. It's alright comfortable but not comfortable like the Air New Zealand business class mattress.

Actually I think the new seat looks luxury and the overall design is good but it is pretty narrow, to a degree uncomfortable, even though I am only 6 feet tall and weigh only 175lbs. I actually prefer the ex-CO wider seats on 777-200 with 2-2-2 configuration or even the ex-UA seats 2-4-2 configuration or 2-2 configuration at the upper deck of 747, but for privacy and mobility, the new seats hands down.

Hope the info helps.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Jun 30, 2017 at 1:49 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by fumje
As far as the aircraft goes, no, but as far as your route goes, perhaps. Where are you flying?
TLV. It's academic now as 9L is taken, but I'm curious anyway.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Same question. EWR-SFO-EWR next month. 77W both ways. 9A and 9L available both flights. Based on comments in the Wiki (slight advantage to A over L) I chose 9A. Any reason to make a change?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Same question. EWR-SFO-EWR next month. 77W both ways. 9A and 9L available both flights. Based on comments in the Wiki (slight advantage to A over L) I chose 9A. Any reason to make a change?
Depends on the time of day... Personally I like to be on the north side of the aircraft (i.e. L westbound, A eastbound) as the glare is a little less in the daytime.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Depends on the time of day... Personally I like to be on the north side of the aircraft (i.e. L westbound, A eastbound) as the glare is a little less in the daytime.
Good point. 8:05am departure (EWR-SFO) and 11:55am departure (SFO-EWR).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
I find that the window side control bar on the parallel window seats (odd numbers) digs into my side and I have to adjust myself for it. I'm 6' & ~ 185lbs. I'll have to try the center 'straight' or bulkhead seats if available and I wish this plane had auto dimming shades...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Continental
I am in 4A on Monday Sfo-Ewr... I have sat in 9L and 3L so far.
Anything I should know about 4A?
Do I wind up with 2 partially blocked windows?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I just did 9A. Probably becoming my go to seat as lots of space. Most important counter in front to put pillow and blankets on after taking off. That being said does get a little noise from lav, people talking at snack bar area and on my flight when on ground creaking noise from lav floor which you can hear and feel in 9A. They also seem to keep the lights in rear cabin lower than forward cabin. Standard traffic in the aisle. 9L seemed to get less traffic and that lav is smaller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.