Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2021, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I’m not a fan of 1L. 3L or 5L are better seats.

see my previous comments:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31470516-post955.html
Agreed. I also like row 15.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed. I also like row 15.
I’m not a fan of 1L. 3L or 5L are better seats.

see my previous comments:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31470516-post955.html

Mahalo, I notice saying 3L, 5L How about 3A, 5A, 15A?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Just went EWR-SFO and I was happy with 9L. Meal order was taken first and served first in the rear J section. Easy to board and alight as the seat was by the entry/exit door (only 2nd door used). Easy access to the snack baskets mid-flight. Easy access to the lavatory and there was never a line and people waiting by the snacks so it wasn't really a bother to me. Could get photos and video of the scenery or of the engine/wing depending on which window was used.

I know it isn't for everyone but it provided a nice combination of things for a flight of that duration. I will add we were traveling as a family so it made it quite easy to walk around through the mini-galley and visit my son who was sitting in 9D as the wife was in 9G. Worked out very well for our travel needs.
uanj likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by evol
No significant differences between the A/L sides.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My experiences on the 77W are all pre-pandemic. If we consider ease of exit and reducing time in the aisle, I might have a slight preference for the A side.

The biggest downside to row 15 is the Y cabin boards past you. Not really an issue if you wait to board last.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold
No significant differences between the A/L sides.
Pick based on the sun. I'm more comfortable with some natural light, so I book the north side of the plane so I can have the shade open without inadvertently inconveniencing anyone with glare on their screens.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Best seat in J on 773

Traveling alone so want the single window seat. Is the angled or non-angled seats better?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by anandrag
Traveling alone so want the single window seat.
Odd numbered > even numbered generally speaking.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 6, 2021 at 12:07 pm Reason: cleanup after move; thanks for the link
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:15 pm

Row 30 vs. Row 45. aisle seat. which one has better legroom? Or what I care is that Do I need to leave my seat if the person sit in J or L need to get out?
I can see from united 3D view that row 30 has a jump seat in front, but the 3D view doesnt have a good view on row 45.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by quintic
Row 30 vs. Row 45. aisle seat. which one has better legroom? Or what I care is that Do I need to leave my seat if the person sit in J or L need to get out?
I can see from united 3D view that row 30 has a jump seat in front, but the 3D view doesnt have a good view on row 45.
Both seats have "unlimited" legroom. The jump seat is not a factor unless you and the FA both have really long legs AND playing footsies with each other. Also, the the jump seat will only be occupied for a very short amount of the time under normal conditions.

You do not have to leave your J seat to allow for your seat mates in K and L to get out. And, if the FA is sitting in the jump seat, generally speaking, passengers would not be allowed get up from their seats anyway.

30J > 45J if both are available.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Both seats have "unlimited" legroom. The jump seat is not a factor unless you and the FA both have really long legs AND playing footsies with each other. Also, the the jump seat will only be occupied for a very short amount of the time under normal conditions.

You do not have to leave your J seat to allow for your seat mates in K and L to get out. And, if the FA is sitting in the jump seat, generally speaking, passengers would not be allowed get up from their seats anyway.

30J > 45J if both are available.
Really appreciated your comments. I just switched to 30JK from 45JK for my transcon flight.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
Best even J window view?

Hi! We have a family preferring window views, but need to choose from some even seats (10, 12, 16 or 18). Recognizing evens aren’t great for outside viewing, are any of these better to be able to watch out the window? Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BaldEmu
Hi! We have a family preferring window views, but need to choose from some even seats (10, 12, 16 or 18). Recognizing evens aren’t great for outside viewing, are any of these better to be able to watch out the window? Thanks!
They are all relatively lousy for the obvious reason, but the further forward you can get, the better. From Row 18 your view will be mostly engine (which, I recently learned, is about the same diameter as a 737 fuselage).
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by findark
From Row 18 your view will be mostly engine (which, I recently learned, is about the same diameter as a 737 fuselage).
The engine cowlings / covers on these aircraft are approximately the same diameter as a 737 fuselage.

David
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by BaldEmu
Row 16 has no window at all, so beware. Check the wiki page above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.