Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Are you talking about row 30? I find that row 45 windows are great. I've done 4 long haul flights in 45A/L and there has never been that much traffic. There is an emergency slide bump, but it isn't that obtrusive and is a long way off. The window is also well placed for extra shoulder room.

https://blog.wandr.me/wp-content/upl...ats-row-39.jpg
Sorry yes you are right, *that* exit row window has decent room!! I spoke to quick...
frips79 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:27 am

So economy flyer here. Looking at the back of the bus. I choose 56L and K for the Mrs and I, for the 2 seat benefit.

We all cant fly up front, so I am excited to get a set of seats with no stranger next to us.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Are you talking about row 30? I find that row 45 windows are great. I've done 4 long haul flights in 45A/L and there has never been that much traffic. There is an emergency slide bump, but it isn't that obtrusive and is a long way off. The window is also well placed for extra shoulder room.
awesome...45a then it is. Will write short review in April. Thx!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:07 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
7L seems to be the only window odd that is open for ewr-nrt soon. is it that bad of a seat? should i go 17A/L? or is 7 better because i am further from the plebs (jkjk)
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
7L seems to be the only window odd that is open for ewr-nrt soon. is it that bad of a seat? should i go 17A/L? or is 7 better because i am further from the plebs (jkjk)
7L is fine. 17L has a relatively compromised view.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Wife, 18yo son and I traveling on EWR-TLV (since IAD-TLV was dropped) in Polaris on 77W. Current strategy is:
  • Me-even window
  • Wife-even aisle across from me
  • 18yo son-odd window in row behind
Currently have 2A, 2D, 3A outbound (1620 departure) and 4L, 4G, 5L return (2325 departure). Front cabin is nearly full on EWR-TLV, rear cabin is nearly empty both directions.

I've never traveled in Polaris seats with other family members. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Wife, 18yo son and I traveling on EWR-TLV (since IAD-TLV was dropped) in Polaris on 77W. Current strategy is:
  • Me-even window
  • Wife-even aisle across from me
  • 18yo son-odd window in row behind
Currently have 2A, 2D, 3A outbound (1620 departure) and 4L, 4G, 5L return (2325 departure). Front cabin is nearly full on EWR-TLV, rear cabin is nearly empty both directions.

I've never traveled in Polaris seats with other family members. Thoughts? Thanks!
Based on this selection, I figure each of you wants private time and space during flight. If this the case, I think it is fine.
I typically like to socialize with one of the family members and/or my other two other family members like to socialize with each other, so we would pick two odd row center seats plus the odd window seat in the same row.

The only thing I don't like is the even number seats is the are facing the aisle, and I (and all my family members ) feel exposed to foot traffic.

I am sure others have different seat combinations of preferences for family traveling together. This is just my own opinion.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
1L vs 9L. I've flown in both but it's been a while. If I recall:
1L: No Lav but closer galley (lights)
9L: Galley further away but lav proximity

I think 9L is the better pick because you get enough privacy that lav proximity/line isnt much of an issue and being closer could mean less waiting in line.
Also, 9L might be first off as they seem to like to use the second door alot.

Am I missing anything?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
1L vs 9L. I've flown in both but it's been a while. If I recall:
1L: No Lav but closer galley (lights)
9L: Galley further away but lav proximity

I think 9L is the better pick because you get enough privacy that lav proximity/line isnt much of an issue and being closer could mean less waiting in line.
Also, 9L might be first off as they seem to like to use the second door alot.

Am I missing anything?
Sort of included with your galley comment for 1L, but sometimes the FA doesn't really know how to fold and store the dessert cart, and a cacophony will be created when stashing it in the closet near 1L is attempted.

I still pick 1L, though, for the unobstructed window.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fumje
Sort of included with your galley comment for 1L, but sometimes the FA doesn't really know how to fold and store the dessert cart, and a cacophony will be created when stashing it in the closet near 1L is attempted.

I still pick 1L, though, for the unobstructed window.
Interesting, I've never encountered that and I remember traversing the area alot to get to the lav. I guess it's no longer an issue these days.

9L has an obstructed window? hmm, good to know. important for day flights at least.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Interesting, I've never encountered that and I remember traversing the area alot to get to the lav. I guess it's no longer an issue these days.

9L has an obstructed window? hmm, good to know. important for day flights at least.
Not badly obstructed — still good for looking out the window — but there will be an engine in your 9L rear-facing photos.

artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Not badly obstructed — still good for looking out the window — but there will be an engine in your 9L rear-facing photos.
OH!, yes I am well aware of that obstruction, I thought you were referring to an interior obstruction due to a misalignment or something.
I guess a plus for 1L is that it is in the part of the plane that should have the least vibrations and less engine noise. But that has never really bothered me much vs galley noise.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Now what’s the best seat on a 777-300... I have 1L

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2021 at 3:40 pm Reason: split post
Old Feb 28, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by evol
Now whats the best seat on a 777-300... I have 1L
1L on a 773 is nice and private, its an excellent seat. I flew it SFO-HKG and was bummed when the 16 hour ride was over.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 7:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by evol
Now whats the best seat on a 777-300... I have 1L
Im not a fan of 1L. 3L or 5L are better seats.

see my previous comments:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31470516-post955.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.